Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

I updated my Lumia 920 (work phone on the Vodafone network) to 8.1 at the weekend. Been waiting for ages. Happy so far, although it seems there is no option to quick link to mobile+sim from the notification centre - this is a bit crap as I frequently change from mobile to wifi.

Also, where is the option to change settings for Xbox music/games/videos? It's not under applications in settings and there is no option in the apps themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

hadoken13 wrote: »
    this is a bit crap as I frequently change from mobile to wifi.

?

Edit the quick menu and add in wifi shortcut

bidiots wrote: »
    ?

eh '?'

kindly explain to me how to add a shortcut to the mobile+sim then (like I asked in my post), smart arse.
    I updated my Lumia 920 (work phone on the Vodafone network) to 8.1 at the weekend. Been waiting for ages. Happy so far, although it seems there is no option to quick link to mobile+sim from the notification centre - this is a bit crap as I frequently change from mobile to wifi.

Also, where is the option to change settings for Xbox music/games/videos? It's not under applications in settings and there is no option in the apps themselves.

Nice, there is an easy way but since you want to be an ass.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Nice, there is an easy way but since you want to be an ass.....

Other than going in or out of Flight Mode, I can't see a decent way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

ICYDK, the phone will favour WIFI over data (the H symbol) even if data is switched on. (I assume you check all the data settings and turn on data sense....don't want to get a big bill).

Data doesn't have a notification quick line, but it's much requested and no doubt will soon. There are probably some apps in the store that act as a workaround for now though.

Edit: A quick Bing search ;)
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/282364-3-4g-switch-notification-center-8-1-a.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Does the swipe down not bring up the wifi option now?
    Does on my 630.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea but the guy wants an option that brings him to the mobile data screen where you turn mobile data on / off.

Anyway, the phone will favour wifi when it is connected. During this time your mobile data usage will be 0. If you want to switch to mobile data turn wifi off.

I don't see where in this scenario you'd want to be turning mobile data off.

If you are worried about your bill then set up data sense to stop mobile data usage when you get near your limit at the end of every month.

awec wrote: »

That was my ?
    There are other ways around it but he can take a run and jump as far as I'm concerned, cheeky p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I use an app called system tiles. Allows you to add shortcuts tiles and give them a custom colour. So you can add one for cellular data. Not as good as the android widget but best you can do now.

If you have a very limited data allowance you turn off your data until you need it.

I don't think any of you understand that as you aren't used to using data like that.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Does the swipe down not bring up the wifi option now?
    Does on my 630.

What did you have before the 630 was it another WP or Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yea but the guy wants an option that brings him to the mobile data screen where you turn mobile data on / off.

Ah, yes.

I turn off Mobile data, helps conserve the battery I believe.
    If you are worried about your bill then set up data sense to stop mobile data usage when you get near your limit at the end of every month.

I also have that set up.
    beauf wrote: »

If you have a very limited data allowance you turn off your data until you need it.

Makes sense.

beauf wrote: »
    What did you have before the 630 was it another WP or Android.

I had an old Nokia 2300.

Anyway, the phone will favour wifi when it is connected. During this time your mobile data usage will be 0. If you want to switch to mobile data turn wifi off.

It's a work phone with 1gb usage so not too worried about usage and I have data sense set up (pretty useful too). Just was wondering if there was a quick shortcut to turning it off - mainly to stop background apps using data & battery.

?

Sorry, thought your reply was a condescending remark as I assumed the '?' was explaining something everyone should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I use the shortcut tiles like someone mentioned to turn off mobile data. Pain that they haven't added it in 8.1 to the drop down and dosen't really make sense. I regularly get the "Resuming" screen that stays for ~10sec using the shortcut tile.

I turn off mobile Data regularly when I'm not using Data or wifi, for the very simple reason that it conserves battery. If you are in an area where the signal is fluctuating between H+ and 3G, it is a big drain on the battery. Especially so if this is at work where you have your phone left on the desk and it is switching away all day.

I use Data sense too to limit the data allowance but when I do go over it I turn on and off the mobile Data carefully for apps like Whats app to fetch messages but dont allow Syncs or anything like that. For this to work I have to turn off Data Sense so quick access to the mobile Data toggle is needed.

You might want to explore the battery saver feature. I have this set up as a shortcut tile too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know how to check for the Cyan update? Is it just through the normal phone update?

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I guess it could save a bit of battery to turn mobile data off.

Are people using smart phones though without smart phone plans from their network (i.e. with super-low data limits)? Doesn't that kind of negate a lot of benefits of having a smart phone? I mean if your mobile data is off and you're off wifi then you're not going to get any notifications.

Genuine question, not being a smart arse.

I have a €25 monthly DD with a 1GB allowance and 100 mins/txts with free Vodafone calls/txts. It allows me to not be tied down to a long term contract and can upgrade my phone whenever I choose(Reason I got a 920 for €200, would have been upwards of €350 on a contract). I can up the allowance to 2GB for an extra fiver.

1 GB is usually loads and I regularly have over half the allowance left at the end of the month. If I left mobile data on constantly I actually don't think I'd go over 1 GB either.

Funnily enough I was caught out this month due to a limitation of the Shortcut Live tile and the OS. When you press it it brings you to the WiFi settings screen where you can toggle the Wifi on/Off. If you then close it using the Back button then the Live tile updates correctly. If you press the Windows button then the live tile does not update correctly. I then proceeded to stream about 500MB from MixRadio over Mobile data while thinking I had WiFi turned on.

Kinda negated now with 8.1 so I can see if wifi is turned on real time without an app having to update the Live tile, but not sure why they didn't go one step further and put the Mobile data there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

_Puma_ wrote: »
    I have a €25 monthly DD with a 1GB allowance and 100 mins/txts with free Vodafone calls/txts. It allows me to not be tied down to a long term contract and can upgrade my phone whenever I choose(Reason I got a 920 for €200, would have been upwards of €350 on a contract). I can up the allowance to 2GB for an extra fiver.

1 GB is usually loads and I regularly have over half the allowance left at the end of the month. If I left mobile data on constantly I actually don't think I'd go over 1 GB either.

Funnily enough I was caught out this month due to a limitation of the Shortcut Live tile and the OS. When you press it it brings you to the WiFi settings screen where you can toggle the Wifi on/Off. If you then close it using the Back button then the Live tile updates correctly. If you press the Windows button then the live tile does not update correctly. I then proceeded to stream about 500MB from MixRadio over Mobile data while thinking I had WiFi turned on.

Kinda negated now with 8.1 so I can see if wifi is turned on real time without an app having to update the Live tile, but not sure why they didn't go one step further and put the Mobile data there also.

Data Sense in 8.1 is quite good at keeping an eye on your data limit and will start turning off or toning down mobile data usage until it hits the limit and will then switch it off.

• Advertisement

It's a pity you can connect to a Wi-Fi network in one press of the shortcut in the notification centre, but to disconnect it opens settings. It's the small things!!

Ya i have that set up. It was 8.0 at the time so just let it hit the limit then stopped, think there is a warning limit too but that wasn't much help when id the phone left down and music was streaming away to a bluetooth speaker. I think that's what happened anyway, cause I checked the Data sense and it was the Mixradio that used up everything.

Yea I guess it could save a bit of battery to turn mobile data off.

Are people using smart phones though without smart phone plans from their network (i.e. with super-low data limits)? Doesn't that kind of negate a lot of benefits of having a smart phone? I mean if your mobile data is off and you're off wifi then you're not going to get any notifications.

Genuine question, not being a smart arse.

Hard to get a non smart phone with a half decent camera. You might use maps, email, news, bus train times none of which are critical to know every 5 mins. Many people don't want faceache, twitery, or what someone cat looks like every 20 mins. They might use podcasts, music etc that is downloaded on WiFi. Free wifi, home, work, and on the train and bus.

Finally alot of prepay plans have very little data included and its expensive to add. O2 data is 5.99 for 250mb on my sim. But I rarely put more than 10 a month in my phone. If I ddn't use data I not put any money on my sim for a month or two. I get free same network calls and texts with no topup.

Once you're spending more than 20 you might be better on a plan. But you run the risk of a bill shock. As the networks don't care if you do. if you on a tight budget people might not want to run the risk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a pity you can connect to a Wi-Fi network in one press of the shortcut in the notification centre, but to disconnect it opens settings. It's the small things!!

I prefer it this way, it means when I need to switch between networks, I have a quick way to get to the WifiSettings, maybe a long press to disconnect should be added.

liamog wrote: »
    I prefer it this way, it means when I need to switch between networks, I have a quick way to get to the WifiSettings, maybe a long press to disconnect should be added.

Ye that makes sense alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I used to leave wifi on and keep an eye on data usage bit it became a pain and detracted from the whole point of having a high end smart phone. I just bit the bullet and got an unlimited data sim only plan.

Now I have to keep my WiFi turned off to stop it trying to connect to inferior insecure networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I turn data off at night until 11am to keep me from nonstop web "surfing"

....detracted from the whole point of having a high end smart phone. I just bit the bullet and got an unlimited data sim only plan....

Its doesn't detract from the point of having a cheap low end smart phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Now I have to keep my WiFi turned off to stop it trying to connect to inferior insecure networks.

That'd be the Wifi Sense. But you can turn it off! In WiFi settings. I used it when I was travelling in the UK a month or two back, it was great for automatically connecting you to all the legit o2 WiFi hotspots. Without even having to take the phone out of the pocket you would be getting your whatsapp messages. Take that, data roaming!

• Advertisement

Anyone know where the equivalent to the background tasks are? As in the old setting under Applications/background tasks. Or how do you find out what is running in the background apart from the hold down the back key?

Advertisement