Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They moved it to the battery saver app. I had to google it m myself. No idea why this is a separate app. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Anyone know where the equivalent to the background tasks are? As in the old setting under Applications/background tasks. Or how do you find out what is running in the background apart from the hold down the back key?

The app switcher is not the same Background Tasks btw. All the apps you see there are actually paused. Background Tasks are small little apps that run separately do a very specific job ie. update a live tile, play music or voip.
    beauf wrote: »
    They moved it to the battery saver app. I had to google it m myself. No idea why this is a separate app. Makes no sense.

A couple of reasons. They wanted to make it more visible (ie. battery shaming) instead of being hidden away in the Settings. And as it's an app, it can be update without having to update the rest of the OS.

Battery Saver and Data Sense are two really great features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can they not update anything in system without updating the rest of the OS. That seems daft.

I see why now...
    One of the bigger changes in Windows Phone 8.1 is the ability for some of the 'native' apps to be updated independently of the operating system. This allows for apps, like Calendar, to get updated as Microsoft sees fit and without any interference from carriers of OEMs. What's new in today's update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is there anyway to play flash streams on a W8P?
    I have a Nokia Lumia 630 that plays youtube but won't play wiziwig flash links.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Is there anyway to play flash streams on a W8P?
    I have a Nokia Lumia 630 that plays youtube but won't play wiziwig flash links.

No.

theothernt wrote: »
    No.

Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

New Developer Preview is live. Well for the 1020 at least.

ps
    The "check for update" is very slow. Because everybody is rushing to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Devane wrote: »

ps
    Thanks. There for 920 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Is this the cyan update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

I got a first update which said welcome to Cyan afterwards, and now there's another one downloading too. Am on 920 Developer Preview. After the first update my WiFi symbol at the top looks different with an arrow - that means Cyan doesn't it? Maybe the second update is the next stage of Developer Preview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

wilser wrote: »
    Is this the cyan update?

Depending on what phone you have, and your network, the Cyan update should be available on Nokia devices already.

I just got the latest dev update on my Lumia 625 in the last hour. Everything went smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Depending on what phone you have, and your network, the Cyan update should be available on Nokia devices already.

I just got the latest dev update on my Lumia 625 in the last hour. Everything went smoothly.
    Have the developer preview on my 925.
    Just finished downloading an update and I'm not sure what's new but it's not Lumia cyan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Got the Cyan update and two other updates on my 920 running 8.1.1 dev preview last night. About bloody time as whatever update they pushed to my phone about a month ago caused lots of random reboots on a nearly daily basis. Before that I'd honestly never see a freeze or reboot except every couple of months. And my WiFi connections would keep silently disconnecting at home and at work, knackering the battery over the course of the day.

Anyway it must have been down to out of date drivers / firmware because the phone has been flawless again since the update at teatime yesterday.

Devane wrote: »

ps

Is this just the normal phone update?
    None available for me.
    Nokia 630 OS Version 8.10.12397.895
    Firmware Version 0106100066.14235.36002

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

wilser wrote: »
    Have the developer preview on my 925.
    Just finished downloading an update and I'm not sure what's new but it's not Lumia cyan.

Getting an update for my Samsung Ativ S I8750, but not sure what it is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bydlo

I have 928 on meteor. I don't have cyan yet, why is this and how do I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bydlo wrote: »
    I have 928 on meteor. I don't have cyan yet, why is this and how do I get it?

Did you sign up for the Developers preview?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bydlo

Did you sign up for the Developers preview?

I did. I've gotten other updates, but not Cyan.

Bydlo wrote: »
    I did. I've gotten other updates, but not Cyan.

Cyan rollout has resumed for devices enrolled in the Dev Preview programme, but they're being very cautious so only a select few models will get Cyan at the moment.

More will be added over time, obviously, so you'll just have to be patient and keep an eye on the tech news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's ridiculous how long the roll out of these updates is taking.

Two things that these Windows 8 phones need..

1. Flash support
    2. An email client that has a spam facility.

It's ridiculous how long the roll out of these updates is taking.

Which one? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

One more thing Windows Phone needs badly -

Profiles.

(Automatic Profiles even, something a bit more useful than just "Quiet Hours")

I cannot find any app on the market that is similar to Nokia Situation.

One commenter seems a bit... optimistic! :pac:
    This will make WP market leader my frnds doesn't want to buy wp because of this interface

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

kleefarr wrote: »
    Two things that these Windows 8 phones need..

1. Flash support
    2. An email client that has a spam facility.

1. The day windows phone gets flash is the day i throw it in the bin. Well probably not but flash is one of the buggiest, bloatiest, resource intensive heaps of manure ever written. Steve Jobs said he'd put it on the iPhone if Adobe could make it less crap but they couldn't. Even android stopped supporting it because it was so bad.

2. Run a spam filter on your server or use the one in whatever service you are using. No point wasting battery life on your device when it can all be taken care of on a remote server.

Something I miss from WP8 was the fact that my Facebook messages would come through like a text message and the two were accessed from the same place.

Is there any way to restore that?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Flash is awful and the sooner it dies the better for all of us.

Well it would be ok to lose flash if websites would get their arse in gear and upgrade to html5.

Found a possible solution to the spam email problem..

mail.ru from the windows phone app store.
    Just installed it and marked a few emails as spam. We'll see what happens.

This may be a solution to the flash problem.. Flash Sports

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My 930 got the start screen folders update yesterday. Not on dev preview so presumably it's rolling out now.

• Advertisement

Missus got 8.1 last night on her 620 with 02. Got cyan too.

Roll out still rolling out.

Advertisement