Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »
    Found a possible solution to the spam email problem..

mail.ru from the windows phone app store.
    Just installed it and marked a few emails as spam. We'll see what happens.

This may be a solution to the flash problem.. Flash Sports

Must say that the mail.ru app is great. Does exactly want I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bydlo

Bydlo wrote: »
    I have 928 on meteor. I don't have cyan yet, why is this and how do I get it?

Lads yis can relax: Got it today. Can't see any difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Got cyan today on my 925, have the dev preview installed. Got another update afterwards for the dev preview as well

wilser wrote: »
    Got cyan today on my 925, have the dev preview installed. Got another update afterwards for the dev preview as well

Can you see any differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Also got cyan and following update, on lumia 520 dev.

No, no differences noticed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Bydlo wrote: »
    Can you see any differences?

Tbh no, I think most of the features came already with the dev preview.
    Have a couple of new apps installed that came with them (health and fitness, food and drink)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

joujoujou wrote: »
    Also got cyan and following update, on lumia 520 dev.

No, no differences noticed yet.
    wilser wrote: »
    Tbh no, I think most of the features came already with the dev preview.
    Have a couple of new apps installed that came with them (health and fitness, food and drink)

Here are list of the additions in Cyan... http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-cyan-and-what-it-brings-windows-phone-81

The Dev Preview updates the OS, Cyan is the firmware and a few add-ons.

The cheaper the device, the less Cyan will add btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On the 520 with Dev Preview most of the changes/addons in Cyan were in previous updates.

What does the arrow beside WiFi indicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whether the data is outgoing or incoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Old thread, I know, but it doesn't fit under all the talk of Denim updates or Windows 10 TP.

Has anyone noticed that recently if you ask Cortana for the weather that she is finally giving the forecast in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.

This is with region set to the US, so you get the Jen Taylor Cortana and not the flat performance of the UK one. The UK one always responded in Celsius.

The Live Tile still shows in Fahrenheit though. As does the temperature information in the App - it's just the voice response to a question like 'What's the weather like tomorrow' that is now in Celsius without having to ask to convert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think the roll out of Cortana is another disaster. Like most things Microsoft have been rolling out.

How is it a 'disaster'?

Sophisticated speech recognition is a very complicated function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

It hasn't been rolled out here yet...

People on youtube giving demos saying it doesn't recognise any UK placenames... obviously it's not set up for that region yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

aphex™ wrote: »
    It hasn't been rolled out here yet...

People on youtube giving demos saying it doesn't recognise any UK placenames... obviously it's not set up for that region yet.

Thought it had tbh

cnocbui wrote: »
    How is it a 'disaster'?

Sophisticated speech recognition is a very complicated function.

Because this time last year they started their big advertising campaign, heralding the arrival of a virtual assistant that will change your life. Even though it was only going to be available in three countries.
    A year later and four or five more countries have been brought into the fold in a mix of alpha and beta.

And ofcourse, this isn't the only thing they've oversold themselves on.

Because this time last year they started their big advertising campaign, heralding the arrival of a virtual assistant that will change your life. Even though it was only going to be available in three countries.
    A year later and four or five more countries have been brought into the fold in a mix of alpha and beta.

And ofcourse, this isn't the only thing they've oversold themselves on.
    At the weekend, my "less-than-techie" father out of the blue asked me if I have that "Cortina" on my phone and wanted to know how to get it on his - he had seen my mother talking to Siri her iPhone 6 and wondered if his (Lumia 820) could do it.

A few quick settings changes later and he's up and running with Cortana (one of his first questions "What will the weather be like in Scotland on Wednesday?" - came back with a perfect answer).

Cortana also gave detailed local information about restaurants, takeaways and places of interest near where he lives.

Not bad for something that isn't even officially available here in alpha or beta.

Although, when I was leaving the pair of them were trying to see whose phone told the better jokes. (Cortana by a long shot).

Would you rather they had waited 4-5 years till the enormous amount of work to do regionalisation was done?

I have a 720 which is a model with only 512Mb of RAM and Cortana works on it, which is nothing short of amazing. If it had been Apple, they would have just told you to stop being cheap and buy a new flagship model. Speaking of which, they introduced Apple Radio years ago and there are still only two countries in the world where it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I have to say that I am very impressed by Cortana. It beats Siri in every way.

At the weekend, my "less-than-techie" father out of the blue asked me if I have that "Cortina" on my phone and wanted to know how to get it on his - he had seen my mother talking to Siri her iPhone 6 and wondered if his (Lumia 820) could do it.

A few quick settings changes later and he's up and running with Cortana (one of his first questions "What will the weather be like in Scotland on Wednesday?" - came back with a perfect answer).

Cortana also gave detailed local information about restaurants, takeaways and places of interest near where he lives.

Not bad for something that isn't even officially available here in alpha or beta.

Although, when I was leaving the pair of them were trying to see whose phone told the better jokes. (Cortana by a long shot).

All marvelous, but you head to change the phones settings to make it work.
    We're harping on praising features that aren't officially available to us.

If they couldn't roll it out then they shouldn't have advertised it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

If you look for problems you'll find them.

All marvelous, but you head to change the phones settings to make it work.
    We're harping on praising features that aren't officially available to us.

If they couldn't roll it out then they shouldn't have advertised it.

You're right, they should have said we have this wonderful new capability but it's only for people in the US and UK. Everyone outside the nominated markets would have been delighted by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bidiots wrote: »

Unfortunately you don't even have to look sometime.
    You're right, they should have said we have this wonderful new capability but it's only for people in the US and UK. Everyone outside the nominated markets would have been delighted by that.

Which do think will cause more goodwill.

We're rolling it out as we can region by region or you buy a phone expecting the feature and its not there. I'm waiting a year for a wifi toggle and timer that works. I could go back to my old 3yr old Android and have those features immediately.

WP has a lot of great stuff. On the flip side there some glaring omissions that should have been in there from the start.

Feel a bit like an iPhone user waiting for an FM radio sometimes.

bidiots wrote: »

All I'm looking for are the features, promises and updates that they parade and trump about every year at some conference or other.

Cortana...sure now they're talking about the roll out of Windows 10 while plenty of people are still waiting to get denim, and it's subsequent patches.
    And there is no shortage of people still waiting for cyan.

But nevermind fulfilling last years promises, lets just look forward to what (might) be coming next year*

*in selected regions only

I'm fairly sure that's what they did do.

Microsoft's page for Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1 clearly labels it as "Cortana launches first in the U.S. and select markets thereafter."

I've yet to see an Irish ad for Windows Phone featuring Cortana. I've seen plenty on web sites, but they could be from the US or UK where Cortana is already available.

The fact that it is not a released feature and works extremely well here is a bonus and should perhaps push Microsoft into releasing the feature as an 'Alpha' here as they did in Australia.

All I'm looking for are the features, promises and updates that they parade and trump about every year at some conference or other.

Cortana...sure now they're talking about the roll out of Windows 10 while plenty of people are still waiting to get denim, and it's subsequent patches.
    And there is no shortage of people still waiting for cyan.

But nevermind fulfilling last years promises, lets just look forward to what (might) be coming next year*

*in selected regions only

People who don't like waiting should buy SIM free phones, then they wouldn't have to wait while their carrier delays OS updates.

People who don't like waiting should buy SIM free phones, then they wouldn't have to wait while their carrier delays OS updates.

My phone is sim free.
    But if I had a problem waiting, I can sign up to the dev preview. Atleast that's what I was told to do the last time I expressed dismay at the situation.

Still feel wp to be light years ahead of the competition, but it bugs me that they go on about all this stuff and just neglect that huge portions of their customer base can't have it.......aaaand then it's on to the next announcement.

My phone is sim free.
    But if I had a problem waiting, I can sign up to the dev preview. Atleast that's what I was told to do the last time I expressed dismay at the situation.

Still feel wp to be light years ahead of the competition, but it bugs me that they go on about all this stuff and just neglect that huge portions of their customer base can't have it.......aaaand then it's on to the next announcement.

So you are actually complaining on behalf of those contracted to carriers who have to wait as you actually don't have to wait at all to get updates, the same as me?

Windows has but a small fraction of the market. I think it's unreasonable to expect the level of update slickness and speed you get from a company as well resourced as Apple. I think Microsoft is actually doing an amazing job, all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

What if you're like me and you have a work phone? No real option to choose the phone - unless I want to lose out in all the benefits of not paying for calls and texts.

• Advertisement

So you are actually complaining on behalf of those contracted to carriers who have to wait as you actually don't have to wait at all to get updates, the same as me?

Windows has but a small fraction of the market. I think it's unreasonable to expect the level of update slickness and speed you get from a company as well resourced as Apple. I think Microsoft is actually doing an amazing job, all things considered.

Actually complaining on behalf of myself and no one else.

A company as well resourced as apple? Are MS not a MASSIVE conglomerate as well?

And I don't think it's unreasonable to want the features and updates that they advertise.

Advertisement