Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's pre-update alright.

Lumia 520 from o2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've the update done, working on Cortana, I've change the region to English US, now I just need to get the English US Speech pack installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

My ATIV was on GDR3, and an update came available over the weekend - but it was 8.0.10521.155
    Another update came available just a few minutes ago, which I'm in the middle of doing, so I'm hoping that it's 8.1:pac::pac:
    (Yes I signed up as a dev over the weekend!)
    edit
    That second update has just completed - it was the pre 8.1 update.....
    Now searching for 8.1 itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

stevenmu wrote: »
    Have you enrolled as a developer first?
    Seems to be working anyway, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Public Service announcement:

If everyone else on the internet could please stop downloading the Windows Phone 8.1 preview, it'll download quicker for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Final stages on both phones here.. FYI: 8.1 itself will take 20-30 mins to download/install

Also worth plugging in the charger before you begin. Now to play with the new options :)

Review is already up too:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-review

Public Service announcement:

If everyone else on the internet could please stop downloading the Windows Phone 8.1 preview, it'll download quicker for me :)
    Thanks all. That really helped. At 96% now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Good to see the extra row of tiles option on the 920, although it's a bit "squinty" to read now!

First impressions..

- I'm very much liking the notification centre

- I recommend going through the settings. By default for example Wi-Fi sense will send your email/phone details to public networks. I rather have that off myself

- Theme sync is pretty cool. Not sure about the transparent tiles/background though

I like the new fonts that are being used. Seems neater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Our day in the sun has arrived!
    Rejoice WP users!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Phone also seems very stuttery initially but I'm hoping that's because all my apps seem to be reinstalling in the background when I go to the list.

SO many new features though from reading that article - looking forward to exploring more this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,467 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

8.1 is only a preview and only available if you have the developer app installed, LIGHTNING

A lot of new features in 8.1, looking good! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Will this update method only work for non-branded phones, or can I sign up for the dev preview now and the update will become available on my carrier branded phone and overwrite it?

Or is that just hoping for too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Installing 8.0.10532.166 now. I presume that's the pre 8.1 update.

g0g wrote: »
    Phone also seems very stuttery initially but I'm hoping that's because all my apps seem to be reinstalling in the background when I go to the list.

I'd say so.. it's running fine here on my 1320 and 520 post-install.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Installing 8.0.10532.166 now. I presume that's the pre 8.1 update.

If it only took 2/3 minutes to download and the same to install then yes - I think it actually says it in the blurb that no-one reads (including me! I saw it on a screenshot) that it's to prep for 8.1 :)

The full update is much bigger and you'll want to allow 20-30 mins for it with a charger on dstandby just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Cortana - how and what ? I have my regional setting set to US, but no sign of her

PaulieC wrote: »
    Cortana - how and what ? I have my regional setting set to US, but no sign of her

Language and region to English US? I haven't bothered myself but from what I read on WPCentral that's how people are working around it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Did you get your ATIV from the Amazon.de site like a load of us? I cant seem to get the update, are you using the developer preview technique?

Yeah, German ATIV, and running 8.1 now via the dev app route.
    As per prev posts, one update over GDR3, then the pre 8.1 update, then onto 8.1 itself.
    Seems like there is lots of differences straightaway wherever you look.
    Tabs on the internet explorer is going to get used to.
    Extra icons on the start screen is nice, icons on the top of the phone now stay on is handy!
    Lots of exploring to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Quick question, do you need Windows 8 to get the Developer preview programme set up? After a read of the review many of the features I missed from android are here. Independent media volume, Swiftkey/Swype clone, Action centre buttons(Although I have been using the Shortcuts workaround), Cortona(More interested in the notebook feature than voice command, hopefully something similar to stumbleupon), ability to turn off notification banners(If you are in an active whatsapp group you know how annoying it can be)

Still don't see a fully featured Timer application. The Countdown timer I got from the store does not activate unless phone is unlocked. Really weird that there is none integrated seeing how they have been in every phone I've owned since the Nokia 3210. No Action button for Data network also seems like a weird omission.

All in all looks good! Any ideas when to expect this with the Cyan update from Nokia for the 920?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Stiletto72

liamog wrote: »
    I've the update done, working on Cortana, I've change the region to English US, now I just need to get the English US Speech pack installed.

How do you get Cortana?

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    How do you get Cortana?
    Region needs to be US, Language Needs to be English (US) and Speech needs to be English (US).

My calendar now appears to be greyed out and won't launch. Anyone else have that issue?

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Quick question, do you need Windows 8 to get the Developer preview programme set up?

Do you mean running Windows 8 on a PC?
    I don't, and it's not needed.

Region needs to be US, Language Needs to be English (US) and Speech needs to be English (US).

My calendar now appears to be greyed out and won't launch. Anyone else have that issue?

Got it.

No problem with the calendar.
    New calendar looks nice.

Cortana wrote:
    I'm absorbing the entire internet. Won't take long.

:D

Found me a 4 star restaurant. Only it's 1100 miles away in Spain :D

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    Got it.

No problem with the calendar.
    New calendar looks nice.

Hmm. Two things that are missing so far:
    1. I don't seem to have the three column view and
    2. The calendar cannot open (albeit the calendar is showing my entries on the Notification screen).

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Note that if you change your region and language to US in order to get Cortana you won't be able to purchase apps from the store unless you have a US card.

Free apps will install fine, but paid apps won't work on the phone or the website (the website will redirect you to the US store when you want to pay for something).

2. The calendar cannot open (albeit the calendar is showing my entries on the Notification screen).

1. Go to Settings and then start+theme. Scroll down and turn on Show more Tiles.
    2. No idea. Seems to be working fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is your calendar app currently updating? When an app is updating, it gets greyed out and you can't open it. Try and see that it isn't "stuck" updating if you go to the Store and see Downloads.

Advertisement