Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've changed region to US, language to English (US), restarted phone but still no sign of Cortana..... :-(

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

gman2k wrote: »
    I've changed region to US, language to English (US), restarted phone but still no sign of Cortana..... :-(

You have to reboot after you change each one. Go to your settings now and I bet one of them isn't set right.

Change language - reboot straight away by clicking the "reboot" button that appears on that page.

Then reload, and change region, and click the reboot button that appears.

If you try do both at once it will reset one of them, you need to reboot straight away or it won't remember the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Language, region and speech set to us but no Cortana

awec wrote: »
    You have to reboot after you change each one

Perfect ;)

long_b wrote: »
    Language, region and speech set to us but no Cortana

Did you reboot after each one, one at a time whenever it prompted you?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Did you reboot after each one, one at a time whenever it prompted you?

Not sure if I did it after each setting but I've rebooted many times since.

In region the Regional Format says "match phone language".

Do I need to set the keyboard and time zone too?

No.

You need to go change language, and then reboot by clicking the "reboot now" that appears.

Then when the phone has started up again, you need to go to region and change and then click "reboot now" when it appears.

Rebooting over and over again will do nothing - change each setting, rebooting immediately after changing each.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm on the UK keyboard and Ireland regional format, with US region and speech language. do you have the Cortana option at the top of the application settings now, you need to turn it on before the search key works.

liamog wrote: »
    I'm on the UK keyboard and Ireland regional format, with US region and speech language. do you have the Cortana option at the top of the application settings now, you need to turn it on before the search key works.

... And I need to enable location services too! All good now!

Thanks all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

On the "debute" of the WP8.1,a nice gift to us, living in the EU (to be read non USA regions) ... Windows Store is down !

• Advertisement

Uh oh, my ATIV has become extremely 'laggy' and very unresponsive with touch actions, such as swiping or pressing on screen buttons within apps.
    Rebooting has made no difference :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Ah **** why is Facebook integration gone? Was a great feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ah **** why is Facebook integration gone? Was a great feature

What exactly is "gone". The contacts integration, or everything?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What exactly is "gone". The contacts integration, or everything?

Just the messenger integration as far as I can see. They finally fixed the capitalization of the letter I on the UK keyboard though.

FFS, one of the main selling points of WP up to now......
    That separate messenger app is a pain in the hoop.

I believe the plan is to provide hooks into the messaging screen to allow this to work, Facebook won't though as they are too into giving Messenger it's own brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Anyone else having trouble with boards mobile site? There is a white border & the screen size is reduced by a third.
    Only on boards & since the update, every other site seems to be ok. Tried zooming in but no joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

wilser wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with boards mobile site? There is a white border & the screen size is reduced by a third.
    Only on boards & since the update, every other site seems to be ok. Tried zooming in but no joy

Wilser you could try a different browser like UC Browser and see if you experience the same issue in full screen mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Stiletto72

Looks OK to me in both mobile and desktop setting.

Boards is working fine on my 1520 with 8.1

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    On the "debute" of the WP8.1,a nice gift to us, living in the EU (to be read non USA regions) ... Windows Store is down !

Seems to be back now, 8.1 downloaded and is installing.

Am getting that as well.

Also noticed. Before the update, I have the screen locked in portrait mode, but the update turned that off for me.

liamog wrote: »
    Just the messenger integration as far as I can see. .

Think that's something Facebook did rather than a WP 8.1 change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Wilser you could try a different browser like UC Browser and see if you experience the same issue in full screen mode.
    Yeah tried uc browser, same problem.
    Touch boards is working ok on both browsers

Think that's something Facebook did rather than a WP 8.1 change

I think its something Microsoft did at Facebook's request. I'd love to see Skype transformed into an iMessage competitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Am getting that as well.

Also noticed. Before the update, I have the screen locked in portrait mode, but the update turned that off for me.

try the reading mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For the screen lock that was in Portrait mode before the update. Can you not just enable it again from the Action Centre (swipe down from the top of the screen)

For my calendar issue: It seems that it was stuck in some sort of 'updating' status. It was not installing anything new, but was greyed out as if it was, and therefore I couldn't launch it.

I reset the phone and can get into the calendar app now. Must say, I like the week view a lot.

Cortana is quite good for Messaging and setting reminders - I especially like the 'Remind me next time I'm talking to xxx about yyy' reminders.

I can't say that using it to control music is much use (requesting songs, or controlling the music player while driving). It seems to have a problem with the Oirish accent when I speak too quickly so I have to learn to speak more slowly and like an A-muhr-I-can.

In fairness, it's in beta, so I'll let stuff like that slide. I'll keep using it as it will hopefully all add up and help improve the service.

Although, I'd like the option for it to put the glance weather in Celsius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Can anyone confirm whether Cortana works on the Lumia 520 also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

The new swipe method of typing is really good

• Advertisement

I may have it installed on a 520 by tonight, there's no reason for it not to work though.

Advertisement