Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Can anyone confirm whether Cortana works on the Lumia 520 also?

I have it working on mine after changing region to US and downloading speech language, English (United States).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

WP 8.1 finally downloaded and installed! :D

First look - O.K. :cool:

Have no time to look deeper into it. Will wait until weekend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

For the screen lock that was in Portrait mode before the update. Can you not just enable it again from the Action Centre (swipe down from the top of the screen)

Of course I can and did, but what about the other settings that might get changed that are less obvious....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

joujoujou wrote: »
    WP 8.1 finally downloaded and installed! :D

First look - O.K. :cool:

Have no time to look deeper into it. Will wait until weekend. ;)

What's the wink for? Are you planning on not waiting until weekend?

How do you get notifications to remain in the notifications centre? Mine vanish after I've checked them, I would have though the most recent 5 or so would stay there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

liamog wrote: »
    Boards is working fine on my 1520 with 8.1

PS how do you like the 1520? (I'm on the 1320)
    Is it worth the huge extra over the 1320?)
    I love the 1320 so far but will look at the 1520 when cost comes down.

How do you get notifications to remain in the notifications centre? Mine vanish after I've checked them, I would have though the most recent 5 or so would stay there

You mean the notcification icon at the top left? AFAIK you can't
    It goes when you first swipe down but the notifications stay on swipe down until you tap them or clear all.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Sir Oxman wrote: »

The screen is *a lot* better, and the Lumia 1520 is a lot faster too at most things compared to the Lumia 1320.

theothernt wrote: »
    The screen is *a lot* better, and the Lumia 1520 is a lot faster too at most things compared to the Lumia 1320.

yeah, the screen is THE best of all phones/OSes out there I have heard.

I have the 'poor' cousin but the screen on it is amazing IMO - I will get the 1520 within next while or it's successor.
    No lag on it either as WP is virtually lag free compared to the opposition, even/especially with 512mb!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The 1520 is the best phone I've ever had, I've not had the change to play with the 1320 at all. It's fast and has a beautiful screen.

It didn't take me long to get used to the size, I have trouble going back to smaller screens now. My wife's 1020 seems tiny by comparison.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    The 1520 is the best phone I've ever had, I've not had the change to play with the 1320 at all. It's fast and has a beautiful screen.

It didn't take me long to get used to the size, I have trouble going back to smaller screens now. My wife's 1020 seems tiny by comparison.

Oh when you have the 1520, no need to play with the 1320!
    I'd love one and will get one or it's successor.
    I have a Note3 as well and it feels small and dinky in comparison- I have no problem with the 6" screen and love it. I coul;dn't go back to anything less than the Note3 size.

Back on topic, WP8.1 has just made the whole experience 100% better - love it.
    Pity no Cortana in the EU yet, I can't be arsed changing region and languages and losing the store right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Love the new layout and added features on my ATIV S. I have an S5 on pre order but this is making me reconsider.

The only thing I'm not impressed with is that it seems to have ruined my battery life :(. Was only ever at ~35% last thing at night. I had to put it on charge today at 2 o'clock.
    I have Cortana running which I think may be the culprit. I'll get rid of it tomorrow and see. I don't think it'll be much loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So, my thoughts a few days later...

- Still loving the Notification Centre but more importantly notifications now actually work whereas previously they were patchy with things like Whatsapp.
    Also the ability to turn off banner notifications is great as they all show in the Centre anyway.

- Haven't bothered getting Cortana as messing up store access would be a pain, plus I think it'll be just a fad really like the rest of those voice apps - they don't recognize your accent/voice most of the time (and I wouldn't have a strong accent), and checking they've gotten it right (eg: sending a text) is more time consuming than doing the "old-fashioned" way

- "Not-Swype" or whatever they're calling it (:)) works great

- Not sure how the battery life is faring yet as I've had a busy few days anyway plus all the playing with the options can't be helping. We'll see in a week or two how things are

All in all though, well worth the update and it's corrected/added pretty much everything that I might have missed from my previous Androids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Would I be right in saying that notifications from Games and the Games App are gone?

I used to have them on my glance, for AlphaJax moves, its gone now, and I can't see to add it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cortana needs GPS on at all times to work, so that would be eating the battery also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

gman2k wrote: »
    Cortana needs GPS on at all times to work, so that would be eating the battery also.

Yeah. I always had GPS, and everything else, on before the update anyway. Maybe Cortana is using it more. I'll get rid of it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

- Haven't bothered getting Cortana as messing up store access would be a pain,

I've Cortana on and the Store still works fine for me and I'm getting notifications that apps have updated.

I think there were issues yesterday around the Store in general ?

You mean the notcification icon at the top left? AFAIK you can't
    It goes when you first swipe down but the notifications stay on swipe down until you tap them or clear all.
    No, I mean the notifications within the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Is Cortana still only available with the US region set?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My alarm hasn't worked since the update and I have been late for work the last two days :pac:

My alarm worked fine, didn't have to reset them after the update, didn't even look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I'm using Cortana to set alarms now, works great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Am I right in saying that silencing the phone now takes longer, or am I missing a trick?
    From locked screen:

Previously - press power button, press volume slider, press silent.

Now - press power button, press volume slider, press drop-down, tap Ringer + Notifications, tape Media + Apps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think the point is that the notifications are cleared when you check them. I wouldn't want to be seeing them once I looked at them.

They stay in the centre on my phone unless I clear,all or tap them

They stay in the centre on my phone unless I clear,all or tap them
    Hm, they vanish once I open it. Lumia 925.

Its dependant on the app.

I was watching the build videos for apps that deep link the notification will only clear when you click it or swipe the whole set away.

If the app isn't aware of deep linking they had to mask them all clear as otherwise the user maybe confused s to why some stay and some won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    - "Not-Swype" or whatever they're calling it (:)) works great

It does work great. I wasn't familiar with this functionality (never had an android phone), but it works flawlessly!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The keyboard is all kinds of awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you see the auto-emojis?

Swype "police" and see what happens :D

• Advertisement

It works really well as a correction option on already typed words

Advertisement