Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

unkel wrote: »
    Did you see the auto-emojis?

Swype "police" and see what happens :D

Yea there are loads of them, "home" etc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone else notice a timing problem with the camera and flash since installing 8.1?
    My flash goes off immediately after the picture is taken:pac:, which makes it kind off useless.:D

Samsung ATIV S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a timing problem with the camera and flash since installing 8.1?
    My flash goes off immediately after the picture is taken:pac:, which makes it kind off useless.:D

Samsung ATIV S

If you had a minute, you could report the bug to...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winphoneosissues

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

How long do the carriers tend to take to release the updates?
    eMobile in my specific case..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This particular update will be a while yet before its released by your carrier. The current rumour is that it will be announced on May 31st with the rollout taking 2-3 months from then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How long do the carriers tend to take to release the updates?
    eMobile in my specific case..

Debranding and flashing them with generic firmware (I've found stock UK firmware best) isn't too hard though. Note that this does NOT unlock the phone.
    Benefits are that updates are pushed a lot faster if you don't want to go through the Dev Program, plus it gets rid of any carrier splash screens and bloatware.

[DISCLAIMER]
    The following link is provided for information only. I take no responsibility for any problems, faults or warranty impacts that doing this may cause.
    This information is freely available but you follow it entirely at your OWN RISK. It WILL (most likely) invalidate your warranty.
    [/DISCLAIMER]

XDA>How to download/flash all WP8 Lumia stock ROM

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Debranding and flashing them with generic firmware (I've found stock UK firmware best) isn't too hard though. Note that this does NOT unlock the phone.
    Benefits are that updates are pushed a lot faster if you don't want to go through the Dev Program, plus it gets rid of any carrier splash screens and bloatware.

[DISCLAIMER]
    The following link is provided for information only. I take no responsibility for any problems, faults or warranty impacts that doing this may cause.
    This information is freely available but you follow it entirely at your OWN RISK. It WILL (most likely) invalidate your warranty.
    [/DISCLAIMER]

XDA>How to download/flash all WP8 Lumia stock ROM

There's a potential risk with this due to some radio optimisations that are performed by carriers.

As to removing carrier bloat ware, windows phone requires carrier ware to be un installable.

If your the kind of person who posts on a board to ask when the update is available then I'd strongly discourage you from performing the flashing of the firmware yourself.

It is probably safe to do in 99% of times but recovering a bricked device is more complicated and as mentioned will likely leave you without your warranty, especially if you tell them what you were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Hi All

Can anyone confirm if making the necessary regional changes to enable Cortana causes issues with Store (or any other issues apart from the obvious keyboard US spelling etc) as earlier reported or was that just a coincidence that it happened during general problems with the Store for some early adopers in mid April ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Coconut Joe

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    Hi All

Can anyone confirm if making the necessary regional changes to enable Cortana causes issues with Store (or any other issues apart from the obvious keyboard US spelling etc) as earlier reported or was that just a coincidence that it happened during general problems with the Store for some early adopers in mid April ?

Thanks

Store is fine with free apps, but I'd guess you'll need to switch back to Ireland for paid apps (just to buy, they should run fine regardless of regional settings) - similar situation to Xbox One.

Sounds promising, thanks Joe :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I can confirm that from my phone too. I can even keep the regional format to English (Ireland) or Irish (Ireland) for Date, time and currency settings in most places.

But I see the new Calendar like to create appointments in the US format (mm/dd/yyyy).

Settings:
    Language: English (United States)
    Region: United States ... Regional Format: Irish (Ireland)

Works for me - Cortana is pretty handy at picking up the Irish accent, but loses some parts if words run together or are too quick.

The Store works perfectly for Free Apps, but not for paid apps.

If you link to a PayPal account you may even get away with paid apps.

If that doesn't work then the other option is to buy Xbox Gift cards from the US and add the credit to you MS account. Its convoluted but will get you the credit.

I take it you could always just switch the regions back if you urgently (well after a restart or two) needed a particular paid app ?

ChewyLuey wrote: »
    I take it you could always just switch the regions back if you urgently (well after a restart or two) needed a particular paid app ?

That will also work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the 8.1 update now allows you to charge app purchases to your O2 bill (post pay). You can select it as an alternative in your wallet. So maybe if you change region you can at least still bill your O2 account instead of a credit card or paypal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I really like the updated IE, it seems much better at rendering more complex sites, and is definitely faster at it. I like that they've added a "Find in page" feature as well which is really useful. And I love that the hardware back button acts more like a proper browser back button.

I really like Cortana too, the alarms and location based reminders in particular are really useful.

The only thing I don't like about the update is that the games hub sometimes takes an age to update.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    1) Battery life on my Samsung has taken a massive nosedive (despite turning off location,wifi and others)

I've found battery life very inconsistent on my Lumia, some days it's great, other days it's awful. I'm hoping the OEM updates will improve it when they roll out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

stevenmu wrote: »
    ...I'm hoping the OEM updates will improve it when they roll out.

Can you still get them if you've installed the Preview?

AFAIK you can't roll back and it may invalidate you're warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I recently only found the screen capture feature by accident!

beauf wrote: »
    Can you still get them if you've installed the Preview?

AFAIK you can't roll back and it may invalidate you're warranty?

Yes You should get them whenever they become available

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Griffinx

Battery life on my 920 has disimproved considerably and that's without Corona.

Liking new notifications and swipe keyboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Since the update, my gmail account is no longer syncing deletions, i.e. when I delete an email on my phone, it remains in my inbox when I look on my desktop. I didn't change any settings. Any idea what might be causing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Griffinx wrote: »
    Battery life on my 920 has disimproved considerably

+1
    Since the update, my gmail account is no longer syncing deletions, i.e. when I delete an email on my phone, it remains in my inbox when I look on my desktop.

+1

I'm very happy with 8.1 but these are drawbacks for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've also seen the battery life on my 920 take a considerable nosedive.

Liking 8.1 overall - the swype-like keyboard & Podcast app being two improvements I find particularly useful. I'm less fond of the fact they've split the Music + Video hub, leaving both the poorer for it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I like it generally bar the removal of Facebook from the messaging app. Getting a lot of white screen and late notifications in the Messenger app on a L820.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've also seen the battery life on my 920 take a considerable nosedive.

I wonder will this improve when Nokia release their own Firmware Updates (Nokia 'Blue' or whatever it may end up being called), when they add their own hardware specific bits and bobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I wonder will this improve when Nokia release their own Firmware Updates (Nokia 'Blue' or whatever it may end up being called), when they add their own hardware specific bits and bobs.

I don't think the issues are model or driver specific, I think the issues are down to a) bugs in WP8.1 Preview itself and b) some devs are using new features of WP8.1 to update their apps (or live tile) more often than is probably needed.

Does Data Sense or Battery Saver give any clue to what's keeping the phone busy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone any idea when it is getting officially released? For some reason I was under the impression that it would be 2/3 weeks after the dev release, silly me. I'm noticing a few minor issues on my 1520 but nothing that is serious enough to make me want to go to WP 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Anyone any idea when it is getting officially released? For some reason I was under the impression that it would be 2/3 weeks after the dev release, silly me. I'm noticing a few minor issues on my 1520 but nothing that is serious enough to make me want to go to WP 8.

Officially released at the end of June.....I think 24th. But there will be phones released with it before then. Also, your specific carrier might not update till much later than that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Nice tip on capitalisation in WP - you'll have to ignore the guy's grammar though

http://youtu.be/lJ772Gxmz90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

can't believe they still haven't fixed the email client so you can set it to use different default folders for deleted emails and sent mails (IMAP uses 'Sent' and 'Trash' by default). the windows mail app on win 8.1 can do it! forever having to transfer my sent emails from 'Sent Items' to sent. bloody pain!

Advertisement