Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

deadduck wrote: »
    can't believe they still haven't fixed the email client so you can set it to use different default folders for deleted emails and sent mails (IMAP uses 'Sent' and 'Trash' by default). the windows mail app on win 8.1 can do it! forever having to transfer my sent emails from 'Sent Items' to sent. bloody pain!

Why do you want to transfer emails from "Sent Items" to another folder called "sent"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭deadduck

KenH wrote: »
    Why do you want to transfer emails from "Sent Items" to another folder called "sent"?

'Sent' is the IMAP default. So when i'm looking for a particular mail that I sent, (regardless of device it was actually sent from) I can look in the same folder. that's why they give you the option in almost every other mail client available

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I see. Others seem to have this issue. If you scroll to the last post on this thread, there may be a workaround for you. I would advise you post this feature request/fix on the windows phone uservoice service.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8/210696-change-imap-email-account-sent-items-folder-another-folder-sync.html
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I checked my mail settings and I noticed that my gmail was set to "based on my usage" rather than ever hour as it was pre 8.1. I have noticed a huge improvement in my battery life since changing back to 1 hour.

I notice the opposite I get two days based on my usage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I noticed that NFC was enabled by default on Win 8.1, switching that off has improved battery life on my Lumia 920.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've switched my phone to flight mode and now the battery life is amazing, if I could just work out how to turn the screen off permanently I reckon I'll be able to get months out of it on one charge.

But seriously, I've found the the battery life to be pretty good with 8.1 on the 1520. I've have not disabled any features of my phone. The only thing I tweak is turning off push email (set to 30 mins) but that's more down to a not getting distracted thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How do I install the update on my lumia 920?

Has anyone got any decent instructions? Google is not being my friend :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's a new update to 8.1 available now which is supposed to include battery improvements.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/05/14/update-to-windows-phone-8-1-preview-for-developers.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Stheno wrote: »
    How do I install the update on my lumia 920?

Has anyone got any decent instructions? Google is not being my friend :(

this should do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Sorry if this was already mentioned here and i didn't spot it but does anyone know if this will "solve" the international caller ID issue?

In case people don't know what I'm talking about if you save the numbers to your phone book with the international dial code when they call from Ireland it doesn't to showing who the caller is (i.e. if i save "John" as 00353 87 1234567 when he rings the phone just shows "087 1234567" not John)

A bit of a random (and trivial) one i know but it's really annoying me!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

murphm45 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was already mentioned here and i didn't spot it but does anyone know if this will "solve" the international caller ID issue?

In case people don't know what I'm talking about if you save the numbers to your phone book with the international dial code when they call from Ireland it doesn't to showing who the caller is (i.e. if i save "John" as 00353 87 1234567 when he rings the phone just shows "087 1234567" not John)

A bit of a random (and trivial) one i know but it's really annoying me!!

I have this problem as most of my numbers are 00353 as I travel with work.

It drives me bats

stevenmu wrote: »

Thank you :) Didn't realise it was still the beta edition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

Stheno wrote: »
    Thank you :) Didn't realise it was still the beta edition :)
    Well tech sites didn't emphasise that.

Downloading now. I wonder if there is anything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

A bit of a random (and trivial) one i know but it's really annoying me!
    I have this problem as most of my numbers are 00353 as I travel with work.

It drives me bats

Surprised on the problem above with people not having names show up when people call. I store all my contacts with +353 in front of them and their names always come up.

Only two things I can think of:
    1) Maybe does 00353 vs +353 make a difference? (unlikely!)
    2) Do you both maybe have that age-old problem of having some numbers listed twice in your directory so the phone just shows the number as it doesn't know who to link it to? Given that Lumia phones will link all your accounts (FB, LinkedIn, Work email, Gmail, Hotmail etc etc) maybe certain numbers appear more than once. So you might have Joe Blogs as a connection on both LinkedIn and Gmail, but because you haven't linked the two profiles it's being seen as two different ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I just received the 8.1.12382.878 update.
    Not too sure what's new yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

gman2k wrote: »
    I just received the 8.1.12382.878 update.
    Not too sure what's new yet!

There won't be any new features or major changes, just bug fixes.

g0g wrote: »
    Surprised on the problem above with people not having names show up when people call. I store all my contacts with +353 in front of them and their names always come up.

Only two things I can think of:
    1) Maybe does 00353 vs +353 make a difference? (unlikely!)
    2) Do you both maybe have that age-old problem of having some numbers listed twice in your directory so the phone just shows the number as it doesn't know who to link it to? Given that Lumia phones will link all your accounts (FB, LinkedIn, Work email, Gmail, Hotmail etc etc) maybe certain numbers appear more than once. So you might have Joe Blogs as a connection on both LinkedIn and Gmail, but because you haven't linked the two profiles it's being seen as two different ones?
    If you go Settings > Applications > Phone, you can switch off "International Assist". Maybe that would help?
    I know it helped when trying to dial Irish 1-800 numbers (because they would always try to dial the US and then 1-800).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

After two weeks with this, I can say I've fallen out of love with Windows Phones. I know it's a beta, but my favorite part of the phone, the People hub and integrated messages with Facebook, have been killed. The replacements are not as good, with notifications for Facebook being quite frankly terrible. This is an issue as I use Facebook messenger for college communications in groups.

I've had many WP devices, and I always defended the OS, as it was new, and needed time to mature, but nearly 3 years, and it's still not even close to the current experience from iOS and Android. Which is a shame. A real, real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

chrislad wrote: »
    After two weeks with this, I can say I've fallen out of love with Windows Phones. I know it's a beta, but my favorite part of the phone, the People hub and integrated messages with Facebook, have been killed. The replacements are not as good, with notifications for Facebook being quite frankly terrible. This is an issue as I use Facebook messenger for college communications in groups.

I've had many WP devices, and I always defended the OS, as it was new, and needed time to mature, but nearly 3 years, and it's still not even close to the current experience from iOS and Android. Which is a shame. A real, real shame.

I'm kind of at the opposite side, I found the old facebook integration in the Messaging app to be hugely unreliable and I use the new facebook messenger app all the time now, with pretty good results.

I had been worried about the removal of facebook and onedrive integration from the photo hub, but I see it's been replaced by a plugin-in style model which works better; once you install the facebook and onedrive apps then these appear as app folders in the photo hub. Updates and enhancements can be pushed out much quicker. And you no longer have silly issues like only being able to see the first 100 photos in a facebook photo album.

What were you using the People hub for that you consider to be worse now? I get my twitter, facebook and linkedin updates in there. In addition to What's New for individual contacts (facebook, twitter etc) there's aso now a link to their profile in facebook - mostly an improvement from my point of view. Would be interested to hear what features have been lost from here because I must not have been using them in 8.0!

All in all I really like the 8.1 update. I never thought I would use the background photo feature on the tiles but I do, and it's nice to be able to tweak notifications so that my facebook app notifications are quiet, but my facebook messenger notifications are louder. I just wish we had the quiet hours feature (as well as Cortana, obviously) but hopefully we won't be waiting too long.

I still use iOS (for work) and Android (on a tablet) and the Start screen experience on both of these platforms pales considerably compared to the rich, informative and "live" WP Start screen. WP, even since 7.5, has always had the advantage here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....I still use iOS (for work) and Android (on a tablet) and the Start screen experience on both of these platforms pales considerably compared to the rich, informative and "live" WP Start screen. WP, even since 7.5, has always had the advantage here IMO.

informative & live?

You must have a different WP phone home screen to mine.

Mine cannot show more than 3 upcoming appointments
    Unread mail, calls, texts, is not accurate. If you look in mail but don't read any mail, it updates the tile when it shouldn't.
    No live toggle (one press buttons) for Wifi, Data, GPS.
    and more besides.

Lots to like in WP but informative & live home screen is one of them.

• Advertisement

I just wish we had the quiet hours feature (as well as Cortana, obviously) but hopefully we won't be waiting too long

It's easy to get Cortana working here, been using it for a month or so. It really works well and does a decent job of understanding the Irish accent.

Quiet Hours is useful (I'd missed that from iOS). The reminders are really handy (particularly the person or location specific ones). I also like that you can talk to it or type your query or command and it will work the same.

WPCentral has a handy guide for setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

With respect to Cortana there is one little tweak that would make it so much better...... Not requiring Location services to be on constantly!

I can understand some features will need GPS, but things like quiet hours not functioning when you have GPS off is annoying! You have my calendar from exchange, you know I have a meeting from A to B why the hell do you need GPS to be able to work out that quiet hours should kick in?
    The action centre is great but please add in a Data toggle for cellular data, and when I want to turn off WiFi just have the action button toggle it off not bring me into the WiFi screen.

But these are little things, still prefer WP over my android devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm kind of at the opposite side, I found the old facebook integration in the Messaging app to be hugely unreliable and I use the new facebook messenger app all the time now, with pretty good results.

I had been worried about the removal of facebook and onedrive integration from the photo hub, but I see it's been replaced by a plugin-in style model which works better; once you install the facebook and onedrive apps then these appear as app folders in the photo hub. Updates and enhancements can be pushed out much quicker. And you no longer have silly issues like only being able to see the first 100 photos in a facebook photo album.

What were you using the People hub for that you consider to be worse now? I get my twitter, facebook and linkedin updates in there. In addition to What's New for individual contacts (facebook, twitter etc) there's aso now a link to their profile in facebook - mostly an improvement from my point of view. Would be interested to hear what features have been lost from here because I must not have been using them in 8.0!

All in all I really like the 8.1 update. I never thought I would use the background photo feature on the tiles but I do, and it's nice to be able to tweak notifications so that my facebook app notifications are quiet, but my facebook messenger notifications are louder. I just wish we had the quiet hours feature (as well as Cortana, obviously) but hopefully we won't be waiting too long.

I still use iOS (for work) and Android (on a tablet) and the Start screen experience on both of these platforms pales considerably compared to the rich, informative and "live" WP Start screen. WP, even since 7.5, has always had the advantage here IMO.

The Facebook messenger app for me takes about 10 seconds to open (using Lumia 820), and when it does, takes another 5 seconds to refresh. Notifications, when they do come, tend to be about 4 hours late, and at the moment, I'm getting two notifications for each message.

For posting to walls, or generally reading, I don't like jumping into the Facebook app. I never used it on 7, 7.5 or 8, as it's slow and crappy, but being forced to use it, when it doesn't even fit the aesthetics of the OS, is annoying. I never had any issues with notifications etc when I was using the older OS. I am fully aware it's a beta, and these issues will probably be ironed out by the time final release is here. Microsoft is doing a great job interacting with the community in this regard, but a combination of the *still* stagnant app store and this disappointing release is sending me back to Android.

I'll certainly still keep an eye on WP, as I do really like the look of it, but the maturity still isn't there, when at this stage, I thought it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I must say, that was one of the easiest software updates I've ever done on a phone, and I've been flashing phones a few years now.

The subtle touches are nice, like the "smart tags" when you receive a text, underlining dates, times, locations and offering to add them to your calendar. That used bug me having to add them manually.

You can mute notifications for threads in messaging, very handy for delivery reports, just mute the thread!

There are a few other neat little tricks that add to the experience, but I would like to see more options added to the pull down menu, and the ability to keep the "more tiles" layout, but be able to size large tiles the full width of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does switching to the developer preview effectively take you out of the operator updates cycle. Which is probably a good thing. Fed up waiting for the network to add their fluff to a update.

beauf wrote: »
    Does switching to the developer preview effectively take you out of the operator updates cycle. Which is probably a good thing. Fed up waiting for the network to add their fluff to a update.
    For the Core OS, yes.

For the Hardware Specific updates (e.g. Nokia Black, or Nokia Cyan), then it's not clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

For the Core OS, yes.

For the Hardware Specific updates (e.g. Nokia Black, or Nokia Cyan), then it's not clear.

I updated my Three Network branded Nokia Lumia 625 last night to 8.1, and after that the HERE maps software updated, as well as a few other apps. I've had no issues with the updates.

(I was worried about carrier specific settings or losing 4G but nope, all good!)

The whole process took about two hours to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I find my Lumia 1520 much more responsive after the latest 8.1 update. In particular I was previously having trouble getting my screen to unlock using the power button meaning I would sometimes have to use the camera button to get the phone to wake up and then close the camera app to get to the homescreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

For the Core OS, yes.

With the device specific updates (ie. those extra apps that appear in Settings only on Nokia Lumias), you'll have to wait until those are approved per region/network like everyone else.

Nokia, like with previous updates, will have a web page which lists which models on which networks have been approved. Typically, it's the newest or highest-end models that get the updates first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Hi all,

couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Does installing the developer preview void the phones warranty?
    2. Does the update remove the Nokia apps?

Apologies if already asked, the thread is quite big and could not find the answers.

thanks.

Advertisement