Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

wrt40 wrote: »
    Hi all,

couple of questions for those in the know:

1. Does installing the developer preview void the phones warranty?
    2. Does the update remove the Nokia apps?

Apologies if already asked, the thread is quite big and could not find the answers.

thanks.

I'm not 100% sure about the warranty (it's never been an issue when I've flashed phones before, and then had send them away for hardware repairs), but the update hasn't removed any Nokia apps for me anyway on a Lumia 625.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

1. Microsoft is quite cagey about the warranty information (here):
    Important notes

There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:

•After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
    •A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
    •You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."

I think they are just covering themselves in case someone bricks their phone by doing this incorrectly (which seems incredibly hard to do, but just in case it happens to someone, somewhere, they have to say it).

2. Updating definitely does not remove the Nokia apps - I've done this for the GDR3 and WP8.1 Developer previews without any issue. (Lumia 920)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

chrislad wrote: »
    The Facebook messenger app for me takes about 10 seconds to open (using Lumia 820), and when it does, takes another 5 seconds to refresh. Notifications, when they do come, tend to be about 4 hours late, and at the moment, I'm getting two notifications for each message.

For posting to walls, or generally reading, I don't like jumping into the Facebook app. I never used it on 7, 7.5 or 8, as it's slow and crappy, but being forced to use it, when it doesn't even fit the aesthetics of the OS, is annoying. I never had any issues with notifications etc when I was using the older OS. I am fully aware it's a beta, and these issues will probably be ironed out by the time final release is here. Microsoft is doing a great job interacting with the community in this regard, but a combination of the *still* stagnant app store and this disappointing release is sending me back to Android.

I'll certainly still keep an eye on WP, as I do really like the look of it, but the maturity still isn't there, when at this stage, I thought it would be.

The feature you mention is in the preview. Give an official release before judging.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

1. Microsoft is quite cagey about the warranty information (here):

I think they are just covering themselves in case someone bricks their phone by doing this incorrectly (which seems incredibly hard to do, but just in case it happens to someone, somewhere, they have to say it).

2. Updating definitely does not remove the Nokia apps - I've done this for the GDR3 and WP8.1 Developer previews without any issue. (Lumia 920)

The important thing is to read your manufacturer warranty, for instance reading the 1520 warranty there is nothing they can legally point to that would dispel their warranty obligations.

The Microsoft comment can be summed up as it's up to your OEM as to the whether the warranty stands when running pre-release software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone having internet issues with 02 on data rather than wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

anyone having internet issues with 02 on data rather than wifi?

Ask in the O2 forum... http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1479

Or ping them Twitter or call them.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

theothernt wrote: »
    Ask in the O2 forum... http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1479

Or ping them Twitter or call them.

:)

rolled back, seems to be a known issue but an infrequent one and no amount of trouble shooting would fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Anyone know if this will have unlocking issues ala rooting on Android? I ask as I'm looking to unlock my phone first and read some horror stories about people rooting their phone, unlocking it, going back to normal and the phone locking again and becoming permanently locked to a network.

I'm guessing that it is advisable to unlock the phone and then update to 8.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Anyone know if this will have unlocking issues ala rooting on Android? I ask as I'm looking to unlock my phone first and read some horror stories about people rooting their phone, unlocking it, going back to normal and the phone locking again and becoming permanently locked to a network.

I'm guessing that it is advisable to unlock the phone and then update to 8.1?

It shouldn't matter which order you do it in, and Android phones are not comparable in this respect - this is the official update, there is no rooting, etc.

Perfect. Thanks for the advice. I was a bit wary of doing it in case there were problems but I'm dying to see what it's like - especially for Cortana to see how she runs on 512 mb Ram and 1Ghz processor as I've been impressed so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Perfect. Thanks for the advice. I was a bit wary of doing it in case there were problems but I'm dying to see what it's like - especially for Cortana to see how she runs on 512 mb Ram and 1Ghz processor as I've been impressed so far.
    She runs like a gazelle on speed, even with 512 MB on the Lumia 520. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I'm new to windows o/s and I've got a 1020. can anyone tell me why whatsapp isn't available or if there is a way of installing it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

Whatsapp is back!!! And they've added a few new features too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

g0g wrote: »
    Whatsapp is back!!! And they've added a few new features too...

Yes they have added a couple of features that have been present in the beta version the last couple of months so that's great. They still did not update the app for 8.1 but it still works fine. With 8.1 officially out with the release of the lumia 630, I hope they won't be too far behind but not entirely confident. There is still too much "resuming" black screens for my liking, although it is slightly quicker with latest update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Minor update released today.
    Just installed it now , don't notice any difference tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

It's vastly superior and has features that arguably should have been in 8.0 all along. Market share in Ireland is 10.3%, which is good, but if we can just get local support it would defo push it further.

I just hope Microsoft get their marketing in gear because there is so little of it here, and it is a very good operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mark_m360 wrote: »
    Market share in Ireland is 10.3%

Any link for that, mark_m360? I'd like to keep an eye on where it is going. I'd also like to see EU / US and global market share figures and trends in those figures

We could / should use those figures as a stick to beat companies into developing WP8 apps that we want :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 jackwillson772

My windows 8 phone does noting but annoy me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nokia? Did you upgrade to 8.1? If your answer is yes to both questions, I'd love to know what annoys you about your phone.

My windows 8 phone does noting, but annoy me tbh

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My Lumia broke so I'm back on my old Android phone and its so slow and awkward compared to Lumia. Can't wait to get back to windows.

mark_m360 wrote: »
    It's vastly superior and has features that arguably should have been in 8.0 all along. Market share in Ireland is 10.3%, which is good, but if we can just get local support it would defo push it further.

I just hope Microsoft get their marketing in gear because there is so little of it here, and it is a very good operating system.
    It's not like they have a very important secondary HQ here overseeing a large chunk of their operations or anything...

There are 2 types of apps that I want to see:
    Banking apps (Ulster Bank Android one is fairly decent)
    Duolingo. There are language apps but I've found Duolingo the one I used the most and I really miss it on Windows. It's enough of a deal breaker to have me waiting to swap over to the 4g Moto G at the end of the month tbh.

unkel wrote: »
    Any link for that, mark_m360? I'd like to keep an eye on where it is going. I'd also like to see EU / US and global market share figures and trends in those figures

We could / should use those figures as a stick to beat companies into developing WP8 apps that we want :)

Hey Unkel, check it out here in this article. http://m.independent.ie/business/technology/microsofts-cloud-to-create-silver-lining-for-irish-workers-30312883.html

For the global figures, if you check out wpcentral.com (or their app) they release articles when the reports are compiled by the likes of ad duplex and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Just got another update. Can't find anything online about it.

NTC wrote: »
    Just got another update. Can't find anything online about it.

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-preview-picks-third-update-tweaks-apis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Cortana coming to uk soon... Will we be able to use it? Are we counted as the same region?

• Advertisement

Cortana coming to uk soon... Will we be able to use it? Are we counted as the same region?

Unfortunately we are not counted as the same region. There is many different dialects here that they need to adopt as well. If you change your region to UK you will be able to access it.

Advertisement