Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to return a voucher..

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I was wondering what i can do.I bought a voucher for my wife for valentines for a Jewelers. It turns out it wasn't the Shop that she wanted the voucher for....I went back the next day with it and my receipt and was told I could not get a refund at all. Basically tough **** and good luck to you... Do I have any options in this kind of situation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I doubt you have any comeback on this. There are no faulty goods involved and it comes under a change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I really can't see that you have any recourse. The purchase of a voucher basically involves a commitment to purchase that amount of goods from that retailer so trying to convert the voucher to cash is a non-starter. I can't see why any retailer would agree to give back the money given that you're telling him you've changed your mind and want to spend the money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

I never mentioned going anywhere else.I just said she didn't really want a voucher for Jewelery..

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    I never mentioned going anywhere else.I just said she didn't really want a voucher for Jewelery..

Surely not wanting jewellery is tantamount to wanting to spend the money somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your only option is to try and sell the voucher on.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Was thinking that alright.....Shame that they wouldn't entertain a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a pity that they won't, but technically they do not have to. Your best bet is probably to try to sell it on.

dudara wrote: »
    It's a pity that they won't, but technically they do not have to. Your best bet is probably to try to sell it on.
    Yeah it really is a pity...Means we will never shop there again and will tell friends/family not to either.... Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Yeah it really is a pity...Means we will never shop there again and will tell friends/family not to either.... Ah well!

Why? When it was your mistake buying the voucher for the wrong place...

Cut your losses. Sell the voucher.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Why? When it was your mistake buying the voucher for the wrong place...

Cut your losses. Sell the voucher.
    Indeed that is true. It was a mistake...And technically the shop is correct in their stance. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth....A refund wouldn't be the end of the world to them and I would have left a happy customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A refund wouldn't be the end of the world to them and I would have left a happy customer.

If they gave you a refund and you walked out the door with the cash on your pocket, you wouldn't be a 'happy customer', you wouldn't be any kind of customer!

coylemj wrote: »
    If they gave you a refund and you walked out the door with the cash on your pocket, you wouldn't be a 'happy customer', you wouldn't be any kind of customer!
    Most likely I would be a future customer....Now that won't be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Most likely I would be a future customer....Now that won't be the case.

But you will be, you have a voucher to spend :pac:

But you will be, you have a voucher to spend :pac:
    badum tchh

That's a totally incorrect action. You made the mistake, not the shop. Immediately on reading your OP I thought "here's a guy with a hard neck and great expectations"

You seem to want to assign some sort of blame on the retailer and none on yourself. Why bad mouth a business because you made a silly mistake and your wife wasn't happy about it?
    If you had been, and would have been in the future, a customer then you'll get use for the voucher that you bought.
    Badmouthing a business for not doing anything wrong when you made a mistake is OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not a fair way to judge a retailer either, you'd find in the vast majority of shops they would not give refunds on vouchers.

It's not a fair way to judge a retailer either, you'd find in the vast majority of shops they would not give refunds on vouchers.

True. I would love to hear of any shop that would give a cash refund for a gift voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Yet another person converting currency that can be spent anywhere and which (generally) never expires to a voucher with the same face value that expires after a short period of time, is subject to a company going into receivership/liquidation and if you make a mistake you're stuck with.

Why, oh why, oh why will people not learn. Vouchers are the biggest con facing consumers at the moment and yet we still keep buying them. Surely it's time to consign these to the same bin cheques are largely in!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bepolite wrote: »
    Yet another person converting currency that can be spent anywhere and which (generally) never expires to a voucher with the same face value that expires after a short period of time, is subject to a company going into receivership/liquidation and if you make a mistake you're stuck with.

Why, oh why, oh why will people not learn. Vouchers are the biggest con facing consumers at the moment and yet we still keep buying them. Surely it's time to consign these to the same bin cheques are largely in!

A lot of people might want a certain item or something from a certain type of shop but always prioritise other , more important things so the item never gets bought. I know my missus would buy more stuff for herself that she wants if she had no choice .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    The other option is to try and sell it back to the shop, minus a restocking/admin fee.

When they sell a voucher it means they have a sale in the bag, there will come a point where they should gladly take it back minus a fee, the fee being the profit they would have made. e.g. if they usually make €10 on a €100 sale they would probably give you €90 back for it. Problem is jewelers have huge markups.
    True. I would love to hear of any shop that would give a cash refund for a gift voucher.
    I had one and a music shop actually was going to take it back for a refund, I forgot about it and then recession hits and I asked again and they said no way.

• Advertisement

I'll Have to try sell it on so...Thanks to everybody for their advice and help.........

A lot of people might want a certain item or something from a certain type of shop but always prioritise other , more important things so the item never gets bought. I know my missus would buy more stuff for herself that she wants if she had no choice .

Put some thought into the purchase and ensure they have an exchange policy. At least you have tangible goods. Alternatively buy a one4all voucher or a voucher for a shopping centre if you really must buy one at all.

Alternatively I've magic beans available.

Was Valentines day...I had 5 mins spare to get something.....in a shopping centre full of blokes with arms full of crap....next time it will be differant.....birthdays,anniversary and christmas too....!

Was Valentines day...I had 5 mins spare to get something.....in a shopping centre full of blokes with arms full of crap....next time it will be differant.....birthdays,anniversary and christmas too....!

Online Shopping FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The problem with vouchers/gift cards is that they can be bought on line using a scammed credit card. This has happened where I work and by the time we got the chargeback from the bank the voucher had already been redeemed so we were 'down' the money.

having said that on occasion we have also facilitated the refunding of a gift card by allowing the customer 'buy' something and then refunding the item. But this has only happened in exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark1990

Not true. In my experience working for BT, o2, and carraig donn among others, a refund is much more desirable than bad word of mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Don't confuse the past, present and future. The OP may have been a customer in the past but their attitude to him as a present day customer puts in danger their ability to retain him into the future.
    I'd go back to the store and make this point, they are legally 100% correct but need to have the sales perspective shown to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

doublej wrote: »
    Don't confuse the past, present and future. The OP may have been a customer in the past but their attitude to him as a present day customer puts in danger their ability to retain him into the future.
    I'd go back to the store and make this point, they are legally 100% correct but need to have the sales perspective shown to them

If he was a regular customer, fine he would be worth keeping, if he was a one off customer then the shop has lost out on a sale just because of a "change of mind". There would be no guarantee that OP would shop there again even if the refund was given, the fact that he is looking for a refund on a voucher is testament to that.

I really can't see why the OP has an issue with this and why he would bad mouth the shop. This was pure and simply his mistake, no one else's, the shop sold a voucher to a customer, big deal, move on.

doublej wrote: »

He obviously is not a regular customer or he would have use for the voucher. His rushed mistake, his hard neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

davo10 wrote: »
    If he was a regular customer, fine he would be worth keeping, if he was a one off customer then the shop has lost out on a sale just because of a "change of mind". There would be no guarantee that OP would shop there again even if the refund was given, the fact that he is looking for a refund on a voucher is testament to that.

I really can't see why the OP has an issue with this and why he would bad mouth the shop. This was pure and simply his mistake, no one else's, the shop sold a voucher to a customer, big deal, move on.

Where did he badmouth the shop?

Advertisement