Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to return a voucher..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

blade1 wrote: »
    Where did he badmouth the shop?
    we will never shop there again and will tell friends/family not to either..

Telling friends and family not to shop somewhere is certainly bad mouthing. It's also churlish in the extreme considering the shop did not do anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Hopefully his friends have the sense not to listen. The majority of people understand when you purchase vouchers that they are non refundable.

The shop have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It might interest you that Dunnes and Penneys, two large department stores that can absorb refunds extremely well- and will take back obviously worn clothes, will NOT refund vouchers. All vouchers state on them that there is no comeback and to treat it like cash. This is a given. In a jewellery shop, refunds in general are rare. If you bought a ring for instance and a stone fell out the next day, they would repair or replace- and well within their rights to do that.

Singling out one shop as somehow bad or mean when it was your mistake, and all shops and department stores operate the same way is not very logical. Sell it on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭A.Gorilla

You'll all be delighted to know that i got a call from the shop today telling me they were willing to give me a full refund on my voucher as a goodwill gesture.... Which was very nice of them indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This post has been deleted.

I know, I got a a €100 voucher for Brown Thomas and a €100 voucher for Jack and Jones for my 40th.
    Never bought anything in those two shops in my life.

Went into both,looking for something I'd wear and eventually came away with a shirt for €35 from Jack & Jones.

Came home,tried on the shirt again and thought Nah.
    Gave the shirt away to my brother.

I gave away the Brown Thomas voucher and I ended up forgetting about the other one and it's too late now so ended up with nothing.

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    You'll all be delighted to know that i got a call from the shop today telling me they were willing to give me a full refund on my voucher as a goodwill gesture.... Which was very nice of them indeed.

I wouldn't say I'm delighted, no. Are you now going to go to all the family and friends you told us were disgusted by the shop's attitude and were never going to buy from that shop again? Will you tell all these friends that the shop is very nice?

I wouldn't say I'm delighted, no. Are you now going to go to all the family and friends you told us were disgusted by the shop's attitude and were never going to buy from that shop again? Will you tell all these friends that the shop is very nice?
    I didnt say anything to anybody. Was seeing how it all panned out first.
    I sent a letter to Their head Office Explaining the situation which obviously they saw my side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I sent a letter to Their head Office Explaining the situation which obviously they saw my side of it.

You bought a voucher for a shop your wife didn't like. You make it sound like she died! :P

You bought a voucher for a shop your wife didn't like. You make it sound like she died! :P

Dunno where youre getting that from.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I didnt say anything to anybody. Was seeing how it all panned out first.

Sounds more like you threatened to badmouth them and they felt bullied into refunding you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Vouchers - turning money you can spend anywhere into money you can only spend in one place. I never really "got" vouchers from a shoppers point of view. Surely cash notes is a kinda "universal" voucher?

"Here love, I got you some vouchers!"

hands over wad of cash....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Afroshack wrote: »
    Sounds more like you threatened to badmouth them and they felt bullied into refunding you.

That is giving the OP to much credit, more likely they gave him the money back because he's an example of a complete "anchor" for consumer rights.

davo10 wrote: »
    That is giving the OP to much credit, more likely they gave him the money back because he's an example of a complete "anchor" for consumer rights.
    Have never heard such a negative shower in my life... You buy something,You realise its not the right thing,you try to return it the next day...the shop says no way.......So you obviously get a bit annoyed over it so you send a letter to their head office explaining the situation...They give you a refund....
    Would anybody here in the same situation do anything different? Or would you just sit back and take your punishment for buying the wrong thing in the first place? Regardless of the product....
    Looking at other threads here with people asking advice...the negativity is rife on Boards....Gotta love the internet!
    At the end of the day i'm happy...And thats what counts..... :D

Would anybody here in the same situation do anything different? Or would you just sit back and take your punishment for buying the wrong thing in the first place? Regardless of the product....
    ... :D

Yes is the answer to both, most would. You see, most adults take responsibility for their actions and don't blame nor bad mouth someone else or try and disadvantage others for the mistake. The shop sold an item to you, you picked it, they make a profit......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

"A good will gesture"
    Translates to some one in HO thinking.......get rid of this......give him his money back and if it pleases the Gods, we'll never see him again.

Have never heard such a negative shower in my life... You buy something,You realise its not the right thing,you try to return it the next day...the shop says no way.......So you obviously get a bit annoyed over it so you send a letter to their head office explaining the situation...They give you a refund....
    Looking at other threads here with people asking advice...the negativity is rife on Boards....Gotta love the internet!
    At the end of the day i'm happy...And thats what counts..... :D

Why did you contact their head office over a mistake that YOU made?

They buckled under your threats, but they really shouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

I feel sorry for that business. You messed up and they paid for your mistake. They only returned your money as you threatened them. Maybe next time man up and dont resort to threats.

I honestly think some of you people are either a bit mad or just stupid. Never once did I threathen or badmouth the company in question either to them or to friends. I said it here because I was a bit annoyed about the situation. Also I acknowledged my mistake from the very start and clearly somebody there decided to give me a break over it....which I appreciate greatly. Hope none of you negative folk ever buy something wrong.....or god help us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please don't assume that there were threats etc here.

OP - I'm glad that HQ were able to resolve this for you. You had nothing to lose by asking them & they could have refused, but they helped you out.

• Advertisement

Yeah it really is a pity...Means we will never shop there again and will tell friends/family not to either.... Ah well!

I think this is the post that got up most readers noses. You made the mistake and then instead of manning up, taking responsibility, you whinged about the shop not giving you your money back.

I'm pissed off that the shop gave you your money back, I would have preferred if they told you to stop acting like a tommy tanker and pee off. As others have posted, they gave you the money to get rid of you, not because they had to and certainly not as a gesture of good will.

You asked. Stated what you stated - read it back yourself. And got the views of a Consumer Issues forum. You don't like what was replied but tough. These are the opinions of contributors based on consumer issues. Quite rightly you were told you had no right to a refund and there the consumer issue ended but you said cleary said you were bad mouthing the business to family and friends in order to stop anybody else using the store. We can only respond to what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobwoodward11

Buy something there to the price of the voucher then return that and get your money back

davo10 wrote: »
    I think is the post that got up most readers noses. You made the mistake and then instead of manning up, taking responsibility, you whinged about the shop not giving you your money back.

I'm pissed off that the shop gave you your money back, I would have preferred if they told you to stop acting like a tommy tanker and pee off. As others have posted, they gave you the money to get rid of you, not because they had to and certainly not as a gesture of good will.

You clearly didn't read my posts did you? I shall repeat myself again. I never threatened or was any way threatening to the shop in question. I asked for a refund the said no. I asked here do I have a recourse but all I got was negativity. I sent what was a very nice letter to them and got a refund. I also agreed that they didnt have to refund me but they did....again no threaths. Im sure in the same position you would have done very much the same.......or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Buy something there to the price of the voucher then return that and get your money back

Return it on what grounds?

Wrong size, colour etc. Are you not entitled to return items regardless of faulty or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Wrong size, colour etc. Are you not entitled to return items regardless of faulty or not?

correct, but that comes under change of mind and refund is issued in the form it was purchased with and in this case....A Voucher

You clearly didn't read my posts did you? I shall repeat myself again. I never threatened or was any way threatening to the shop in question.

Im sure in the same position you would have done very much the same.......or not.

You didn't read mine, I didn't say you threatened them, that's a non issue, you had nothing to threaten them with.

No I wouldn't do what you did, I would ask if they would refund it and when they said no, I would accept that it was my mistake. I wouldn't go on a consumer issues site and whinge about how bad the shop was, I wouldn't declare that I wouldn't shop there again, I certainly wouldn't tell friends and family not to shop there. Because I would think it made me look like someone who isn't able to make grown up decisions and wants to blame others for my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, your not. If there's nothing wrong with the item then you are entitled to nothing. If the colour is the one they told you it was going to be or what was on the box, then there's nothing wrong and your entitled to nothing. As for size, shops that sell clothes generally have fitting rooms so if you buy the wrong size, again, your not entitled to anything.

Shops aren't rental services. You own it the second you buy it. Even if you turn around before you leave the shop , they don't have to do anything for you.
    neckedit wrote: »
    correct, but that comes under change of mind and refund is issued in the form it was purchased with and in this case....A Voucher

You are not entitled to anything if you change your mind. Not a swap, credit note or anything else.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, fair enough.

Advertisement