Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quirke

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

What's a murican?

American

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Anybody know if this is repeated during the week, say on RTE 2? Missed the last 45 mins of last night and still haven't figured out how to record on my saorview box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Anybody know if this is repeated during the week, say on RTE 2? Missed the last 45 mins of last night and still haven't figured out how to record on my saorview box.

It is on the RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

It is on the RTE player

Spot on. Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

What's the verdict on this?

Edit.
    Quirke I meant.Bloody awkward to use notepad.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I found it kind of distracting how everyone refers to "the police" rather than guards/gardai.Maybe they have the UK viewers in mind but it's not very accurate.The inclusion of a Nigerian character seems a token gesture to make it relevant to modern Ireland,a black person in Dublin then would have been like seeing an alien yet no one bats an eyelid apart from the guy making the banana crack in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I found it kind of distracting how everyone refers to "the police" rather than guards/gardai.Maybe they have the UK viewers in mind but it's not very accurate.The inclusion of a Nigerian character seems a token gesture to make it relevant to modern Ireland,a black person in Dublin then would have been like seeing an alien yet no one bats an eyelid apart from the guy making the banana crack in the pub.

Also the woman in the flat referred to seeing a beast from the darkest parts of hell going up to April's apartment. He was also asked by Phoebe did he get much racism in Dublin and he said he did, don't forget the story is based on upper class Dublin, when the black guy was around lower class Dublin, in the pub and the flat April lived in we saw racism. I think that was pretty accurate.

I wouldn't mind the police thing, that always happens, it is for international audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Well… actually, no. There were plenty of black students - you know the line from Dublin in the Rare Oul' Times, "I lost her to a student lad with skin as black as coal; he took her off to Birmingham and took away my soul". Most of them were from wealthy families back home, so were awfully upper-class.
    I didn't see this episode, and don't know if was based on 'reality', but there was a controversial case when the girlfriend of a foreign medical student died, allegedly during an abortion that went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thought it was good enough,it was slow enough but that didnt bother me much,
    could have done with a few more episodes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Yeah, thought it improved as we got to know the characters. Nicely set up for a second season if one is planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Well… actually, no. There were plenty of black students - you know the line from Dublin in the Rare Oul' Times, "I lost her to a student lad with skin as black as coal; he took her off to Birmingham and took away my soul". Most of them were from wealthy families back home, so were awfully upper-class.
    I didn't see this episode, and don't know if was based on 'reality', but there was a controversial case when the girlfriend of a foreign medical student died, allegedly during an abortion that went wrong.
    You are probably referring to the case of 22-year old South African, Shan Mohangi. He was a student at the Royal College of Surgeons. In 1963 he strangled his 16-year old girlfriend, Hazel Mullen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm undecided on this. The episodes are a little too long and a little too slow, and I hate the fact that the deaths in all 3 stories conveniently involve people who have some kind of relationship with Quirke & Co, rather than being complete strangers. Also, will
    Phoebe be having sexual relations with all future murder suspects?

I also don't like how some things are glossed over, like in Ep1 where
    Phoebe jumps from a moving car and the dude dies. This is more or less ignored later in the episode bar a short scene with Quirke visiting her while she's in bed, presumably "recuperating" though the crash isn't even mentioned if I recall. , you'd be forgiven for thinking it had never occurred.

Phoebe is practically unaffected
    after Sarah dies
    , I realise that the 3rd episode is set months later, but still!

Overall, I think the acting is quite good and it looks good, although I don't think it shows as much as Dublin as I think we'd all like bar a few streets. But I think the writing is quite poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The daughter was fierce annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

In relation to people's questions about black men in Dublin in the mid-20th century:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/goldenbridge-orphan-christine-buckley-went-public-on-ordeal-1.1720379?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The late Christine Buckley was the daughter of a Nigerian medical student and a married Irish woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

The BBC have finally given this an air-date.

Sunday 25th May at 9.00pm on BBC1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

brian_t wrote: »
    The BBC have finally given this an air-date.

Sunday 25th May at 9.00pm on BBC1.
    I watched the first 2 episodes on the BBC and enjoying it so far.

Advertisement