Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Plants?

• 16-02-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to put some good work into my back garden. I plan to remove the stone and have a little step onto the lawn. I think I will have a rockery either side of the step and then have plants - bushes/trees(?) down either side of lawn.

Any recommendations on what plants to buy? The image attached is what I'd really like to achieve. :D

Any advice, suggestions greatly appreciated as I'm new to the gardening game.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Which way does your garden face, for example is the border on the left south or west facing, or what is it? What part of the country are you?

You have a nice blank canvas there. If you are taking away the stone and putting in a step I would suggest a small wall to support the edge of the lawn - are you going to pave that area?

You might think in terms of climbers and wall-clinging shrubs (pyracantha for example) to cover the walls without taking too much space from the garden. Think very carefully about the rockery. You really do need to do a good bit of research and planning, or you can end up with a sprawling mound spotted with rocks. I would be more inclined to go for a low walled planter following the line of the lawn edge. Maybe one or max two smallish, open (ie not a solid mass of leaves) trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bren82

I think your garden looks great the way it is... Id be really happy with that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol Bren, I think you might have looked at the 'desired effect' rather than the 'current situation' pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bren82

hahaha sorry i did.... i supose your back garden is grand too....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

looksee wrote: »
    Which way does your garden face, for example is the border on the left south or west facing, or what is it? What part of the country are you?

Hi, Based in south Dublin. Garden faces NW(looking from back of house) but I'd have to double check :o

I am considering removing the border on the left and
    just making that pathway wider with either paving or pebble stone. I am considering having a hedge alon the wall.
    You have a nice blank canvas there. If you are taking away the stone and putting in a step I would suggest a small wall to support the edge of the lawn - are you going to pave that area?

Yes, I plan to remove the stone and have paving up to the lawn. And a stone wall as lawn border. I imagine I can get stone/slabs for wall in any garden centre or woodies?
    You might think in terms of climbers and wall-clinging shrubs (pyracantha for example) to cover the walls without taking too much space from the garden. Think very carefully about the rockery. You really do need to do a good bit of research and planning, or you can end up with a sprawling mound spotted with rocks. I would be more inclined to go for a low walled planter following the line of the lawn edge. Maybe one or max two smallish, open (ie not a solid mass of leaves) trees.

Yup, a rockery not necessary - I am open to suggestions. I know a lot of research is required as I have little knowledge of plants. Names of suggested plants would be appreciated. Thanks.

One other thing is the grass does not look good - dead in parts and also quite a bit of moss. I am not so sure about the soil quality although it is not wet to walk on.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi, a small tree to definitely consider would be sorbus aucuparia Joseph Rock. It has lovely white flowers in spring and fab berries in autumn. Perfect for small gardens. The garden style you seem to be going for is cottage style so you would be mainly looking for herbaceous perennials. They can create a fab effect but bear in mind they can be high maintenance, but it's worth it! Here's a few to consider: Lupins, lavender, heuchera, aconitum, agapanthus, brunnera, rudbeckia, cosmos, sedum. You could also mix in a few evergreen shrubs just to have some colour in the winter.

Advertisement