Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help with Heating System - Solid Fuel Boiler UFH new build

• 16-02-2014 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi guys/gals

My OH and I have sent out tenders for new build we are hoping to start in next few months..house is nearly 2,800sqf, storey and a half.

We have quite a large open plan space living/kitchen/dining area to the rear (southfacing) and would love not to have rads as feel they may look out of place. We will have stove in living room & sitting room.

Our architect gave us a provisional BER rating of A3. I don't have the other details (my OH knows more about that side of things)

We like the idea of underfloor heating and was wondering has anyone any experiences of UFH ran off a solid fuel boiler?

We have access to a bog so could have turf to run the boiler. We have family & friends that have geothermal UFH but I worry about the costs of running the heating on ESB.

Also is there a lot of work to running the boilers? I work shift so will be in house during day sometimes, my OH works 9-5. We visited a house recently who ran their UFH on wood boiler, they were positive about it.

Is there any other heating systems recommended?

Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

blondie29 wrote: »
    Hi guys/gals

My OH and I have sent out tenders for new build we are hoping to start in next few months..house is nearly 2,800sqf, storey and a half.

We have quite a large open plan space living/kitchen/dining area to the rear (southfacing) and would love not to have rads as feel they may look out of place. We will have stove in living room & sitting room.

Our architect gave us a provisional BER rating of A3. I don't have the other details (my OH knows more about that side of things)

We like the idea of underfloor heating and was wondering has anyone any experiences of UFH ran off a solid fuel boiler?

We have access to a bog so could have turf to run the boiler. We have family & friends that have geothermal UFH but I worry about the costs of running the heating on ESB.

Also is there a lot of work to running the boilers? I work shift so will be in house during day sometimes, my OH works 9-5. We visited a house recently who ran their UFH on wood boiler, they were positive about it.

Is there any other heating systems recommended?

Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.
    It might be worth talking to http://ashgrove.ie/cat_view.php?id=3.They do an air to water heating system for underfloor heating.My brother got it installed in his new build last year,house 2,700sq.ft,constant hot water and very happy with the running costs

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

agusta wrote: »
    It might be worth talking to http://ashgrove.ie/cat_view.php?id=3.They do an air to water heating system for underfloor heating.My brother got it installed in his new build last year,house 2,700sq.ft,constant hot water and very happy with the running costs

Thanks for reply.

Do you know how much your brothers heating bills are and how much it cost to put in that air to water system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

blondie29 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

Do you know how much your brothers heating bills are and how much it cost to put in that air to water system?
    House just built 6 months approx.My brother estimates running cost of 800 to 1000 euro.Cost to plumb full house including bathrooms etc somewhere between 17k and 17.5k.Ashgrove will price for the air to water separate if you wish if you give them house plans.My brother has constant hot water,Also he has a free standing stove which he has used twice so far.House is 2,700 sq feet.Ashgrove also do demo days where you can go to someones house and see the system in operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

If you have space in the house to fit a buffer tank within the heated part of the house you can use a mixture of heat sources. You could mix heat from solar panels, a boiler stove, off peak immersion, and ASHP for example. If your house is well insulated you won't need a lot of heat but it is nice to have as many renewable sources as possible. Underfloor heating works well with renewable sources because you only need about 35C water temperature. A boiler stove does need a lot of fuel so you need convenient access for fuel and space to store fuel in the house. You need to be careful of overpricing items, heat pumps particularly, so, if you can, price items individually yourself and just pay to have them installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

dhaslam wrote: »
    If you have space in the house to fit a buffer tank within the heated part of the house you can use a mixture of heat sources. You could mix heat from solar panels, a boiler stove, off peak immersion, and ASHP for example. If your house is well insulated you won't need a lot of heat but it is nice to have as many renewable sources as possible. Underfloor heating works well with renewable sources because you only need about 35C water temperature. A boiler stove does need a lot of fuel so you need convenient access for fuel and space to store fuel in the house. You need to be careful of overpricing items, heat pumps particularly, so, if you can, price items individually yourself and just pay to have them installed.

While I agree with all you say I would add a wee warning as to buying materials yourself and getting your plumber or engineer to fit because in my experience this will end in tears[to put it mildly]Probably better to do your homework and familiarise yourself and your chosen workmen with exactly what you want and what is expected of them. A supply and fit contract usually takes away the headaches from you for not too much extra cost and leaves the men to get on unhindered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

oikster wrote: »
    While I agree with all you say I would add a wee warning as to buying materials yourself and getting your plumber or engineer to fit because in my experience this will end in tears[to put it mildly]Probably better to do your homework and familiarise yourself and your chosen workmen with exactly what you want and what is expected of them. A supply and fit contract usually takes away the headaches from you for not too much extra cost and leaves the men to get on unhindered.

I have to agree with oikster. Otherwise you will have nothing only headaches if anything goes wrong. The installer will just say that he installed it properly and if there is something wrong, you have to get the person who supplied the part to sort it out. If you need to be that cautious, then ask to installer to price each part and labour separately.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement