Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Joe Nevin

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

washman3 wrote: »
    Source.?? Jonjo himself stated in several interviews leading up to the final that his family back home were being discriminated against by being refused entry to public houses to watch his bouts. To me, that shows a serious lack of focus because at a time like that he should have virtually no contact with those back home.
    Contrast that with Katie Taylor who stated in an interview that her mobile phone was switched off 10 days before her first bout until 2/3 days after winning gold. Apart from her coaches and going to watch other Irish boxers fight she had zero contact with the outside world during the games.

various streams were doing olympic finals live as well as you tube' so was quite easy to have access to the finals RTE also i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JJN was not favorite vs. Campbell. As far as I now they were 1 apiece going into that fight in London, with Campbell being the winner of fight 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

John Joe on Twitter today:

"To everyone who keeps asking me when I'm in the ring well, my team have made it official that I’m going to have a busy two months to catch up.

So I have good few fights lined up and I’m really looking forward to it, get the wins under my belt and aim for a world title.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ah,sure wrote: »
    John Joe on Twitter today:

"To everyone who keeps asking me when I'm in the ring well, my team have made it official that I’m going to have a busy two months to catch up.

So I have good few fights lined up and I’m really looking forward to it, get the wins under my belt and aim for a world title.”

Good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

JOHN JOE NEVIN won gold at the last European Championships two years ago — now he is finally able to dream about the big prizes in the pro game.

Nevin has signed up with the influential American fight boss Cameron Dunkin, who will be his co-manager along with Tom Moran.

Inactive since November, the London 2012 silver medallist is set to fight again soon with plans to put him on a New York card on August 25. Moran said: “I’ve had five world champions but compared to Cameron, that’s nothing as he’s had 33. He doesn’t get involved in a fighter unless he believes the kid can be a world champion.”

Nevin, 26, will be based in Philadelphia before his US campaign begins again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

barney4001 wrote: »
    JOHN JOE NEVIN won gold at the last European Championships two years ago — now he is finally able to dream about the big prizes in the pro game.

Nevin has signed up with the influential American fight boss Cameron Dunkin, who will be his co-manager along with Tom Moran.

Inactive since November, the London 2012 silver medallist is set to fight again soon with plans to put him on a New York card on August 25. Moran said: “I’ve had five world champions but compared to Cameron, that’s nothing as he’s had 33. He doesn’t get involved in a fighter unless he believes the kid can be a world champion.”

Nevin, 26, will be based in Philadelphia before his US campaign begins again.

What other boxers does Cameron Dunkin manage.?
    Who is this Tom Moran guy.? Irish/American.?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

washman3 wrote: »
    What other boxers does Cameron Dunkin manage.?
    Who is this Tom Moran guy.? Irish/American.?

More info here

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/6579265/We-reveal-John-Joe-Nevins-new-team.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

John Joe fighting tonight in New York. Up against never-before-stopped Victor Raul Capaceta of Mexico. Not sure what time it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Pighead wrote: »
    John Joe fighting tonight in New York. Up against never-before-stopped Victor Raul Capaceta of Mexico. Not sure what time it's on.

Is it possible to see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to see this?
    Not sure if it was on anywhere but he won anyway.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/john-joe-nevin-wins-by-tko-on-return-to-the-ring-1.2329212

Here's a short crappy video of a bit of the fight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kiwdvXkYc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

John Joe has been very active on Twitter lately and seems in a better place now. Says he is fighting next month in the UK, don't think he is cut out to make it in the pro game but it's nice to see he's doing better after those horrific injuries.

https://twitter.com/johnJoeNevin/status/876208404603297792

He might become a Twitter world champion.:rolleyes:

With all due respect does anyone care?

I personally couldn't care less....A few years ago I would have tuned in and followed....been too little too late for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

his private life exploits has burned many bridges in the eyes of the ordinary guy, they/we simply dont give a f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

walshb wrote: »
    JJN was not favorite vs. Campbell. As far as I now they were 1 apiece going into that fight in London, with Campbell being the winner of fight 2.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but after watching JJN school the Cuban I was confident he'd win the gold. Look at them now. Campbell might not be the biggest name but I'm sure he's top ten in some of the rankings. Nevin still fighting tomato cans. Waste of talent.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but after watching JJN school the Cuban I was confident he'd win the gold. Look at them now. Campbell might not be the biggest name but I'm sure he's top ten in some of the rankings. Nevin still fighting tomato cans. Waste of talent.

I wasn't confident. JJN had lost their most recent fight, and Campbell to me presented physical issues for JJN. Plus he was the home favorite. JJN had a small mountain to climb.

Correct, they were 1-1 going into that final but all the momentum was with Nevin
    He was in the form of his life, completely dominated every fight (and indeed round) up to the final. He destroyed the Cuban. Maybe in hindsight, if the Cuban had been his final opponent things would have been different. He completely took Campbell for granted after that Cuban demolition. This was probably due to the fact that he took his eye off the ball and became more concerned with 'issues back home'. Total nonsense carry-on of course. He should've completely isolated himself from any contact with home.
    Contrast this with Katie Taylor, who states in an interview that she switched off her phone 10 days before her first fight and switched it back on 2/3 days after winning gold. incredible focus. Just look where she is now.
    Incidentally, Campbell has since fought a World title fight, which he lost, but he is still in the mix for another crack. He is doing very well for himself.

JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless you are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

Campbell was also having a very good London tournament up to the final.

He also had a very close loss to the Cuban that JJN beat in his semi when Campbell bagged a silver at the 2011 world's. Remember, that is where he beat Nevin on a countback in the world semi final 2011.

I think Nevin's win over Campbell was a 9-2 win from a few years before, at the EU 2009 championships.

Stylistically he was always going to be tough for a JJN style fighter. Taller, rangier and kind of countering. Nevin likes lads to come to him. Campbell was able to box at long and mid range and use his height and reach to its full advantage.

I'd also argue that Nevin did not dominate every rd up to the final.

Sure, Nevin for me showed excellence, but he was not dominant throughout. Let's not overestimate it. Rd 2 QF (I think) against Valdez was where he was dropped with a body shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless uou are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

He also had a very close loss to the Cuban that JJN beat in his semi when Campbell bagged a silver at the 2011 world's. Remember, that is where he beat Nevin on a countback in the world semi final 2011.

I think Nevin's win over Campbell was a 9-2 win from a few years before, at the EU 2009 championships.

Stylistically he was always going to be tough for a JJN style fighter. Taller, rangier and kind of countering. Nevin likes lads to come to him. Campbell was able to box at long and mid range and use his height and reach to its full advantage.

That analysis is spot on. I remember Nevin being very hard on himself afterwards, saying he'd got his approach badly wrong but not sure how he could have fought it any differently. The difference in their earlier fights was I dont think the GB set-up was quite as good at that time, Campbell went up another level when Rob McCracken took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless uou are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

Perfect response to a very silly post.

You forgot to mention also, that Luke Campbell has NOT fought for a world title.

megadodge wrote: »

You forgot to mention also, that Luke Campbell has NOT fought for a world title.

I didn't read that far down..😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wasn't confident. JJN had lost their most recent fight, and Campbell to me presented physical issues for JJN. Plus he was the home favorite. JJN had a small mountain to climb.

Ah, form has a lot to do with it as well. You know yourself there are times when your timing is spot on and everything is coming together and working. Of course, the top fellas should be switched on all the time.
    JJN was flying though in the semi. The Cuban he boxed was young but I think he had already won a fair bit and might have been the Gold medal favourite going into the Olympics. I think that Nevin was ranked 4th and Campbell above him pre-tournament.....but I think the semi-final would have made JJN slight favourite for the final.
    Fair enough regarding the advantage of boxing at home and easier/less fights but London was almost like a home venue for the Irish in terms of support. (I think Katie Taylor's bouts broke records for noise levels)
    Either way, it's a moot point now. He should have stayed in the amateurs and hopefully kept his funding for another few years

Advertisement