Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Joe Nevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »

Very over-eager, reaching, loading up, trying waaaaay too hard for the KO. Unfortunately I suspect he's been told something along the lines of "this is the entertainment business, people like KOs, defensive boxing doesn't sell". Well it doesn't do Floyd Mayweather any harm.

Like I said, Nevin has become a more aggressive fighter in recent years. More committed and willing to initiate attacks.:) Granted last night was OTT, but I saw an obvious aggression increase in Nevin over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Actually I meant to mention what a few of you have mentioned now and that is the jab. When he bothers to throw it it is very fast, hard and accurate, but he really needs to throw it a whooooole lot more so as to set up his other punches and also just to keep his opponent occupied.

I agree too that his 1-2 is quite sloppy for such a skilled boxer. The right is so wide, I can't understand how someone of his level doesn't straighten it out. And he was doing that in the ams as well not just in this first pro bout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I thought ye boxing lads would have had a thread about this.. Reported on the radio that John Joe Nevin suffered a broken leg in an attack in Mullingar this morning.. Does anybody know anything more about what happened?

Story also on RTE web page
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0405/606923-nevin-mullingar/

Heard it on the news. There was a lot of aggro in that part of Ireland over the past few years with traveller feuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

walshb wrote: »
    Heard it on the news. There was a lot of aggro in that part of Ireland over the past few years with traveller feuds.

There still is walsh, unfortunately.
    John Joe, isn't involved directly, but some of his immediate family are, which is unfortunate for him as he seems to always distance himself from this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭baldbear

Its a bloody disgrace what happened to john joe. These people involved in feuds need to be jailed for long periods. Hope his career isn't over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

him anf his father were in a bit of trouble about 9 months ago drunken mellee i think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Reporting on the news that his leg is broken in two places... Whatever the ins and out of the "fued", I'd say he's in a tough place now... How difficult is it to come back from a broken leg if you're a boxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Reporting on the news that his leg is broken in two places... Whatever the ins and out of the "fued", I'd say he's in a tough place now... How difficult is it to come back from a broken leg if you're a boxer?

It's a serious setback, obviously, but he should be ok in time. Weight is a concern.

Could end his career. He may never be the same fighter again. Sad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mention of a a stick with nails, and apparently he had bone sticking out.

mention of a a stick with nails, and apparently he had bone sticking out.

That's right. This could be the end. I hope not. Either way, he will never be the same after it. Let us hope he recovers well, and soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Bulmers Original

Mullingar is one rough spot ladies & gents, it was unfortunately to what happen but obviously other people thought they could knock him out thinking they were better than him.....no excuse especially hen a golf club was used...... All the best john in recovery ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Really hope the perpetrators are banged up for this..absolutely sick and disgusting thing to do to a talented sportsman who has brought a lot of joy to the nation..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Really hope the perpetrators are banged up for this..absolutely sick and disgusting thing to do to a talented sportsman who has brought a lot of joy to the nation..

Im guessing they wont press charges for fear of any reprisals, or maybe some sort of code.

either way that kind of thing belongs in the dark ages or battlefield in an actual war, not family feuds. no need for such savagery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Mullingar is one rough spot ladies & gents, it was unfortunately to what happen but obviously other people thought they could knock him out thinking they were better than him.....no excuse especially hen a golf club was used...... All the best john in recovery ...

No its not. Its no rougher than Tullamore, Athlone etc
    Also its an ongoing fued, nothing about thinking 'they could knock him out' just because of who he is.
    Edit: just noticed he's banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Seems he was protecting his uncle from his sons so they turned on him, very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

dharn wrote: »
    Seems he was protecting his uncle from his sons so they turned on him, very strange

If that is the case it was very foolish to get himself involved in something like this. His career is already in jeoprady and he needs to either cut his ties with these people or risk his career being over or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

dharn wrote: »

So sons were beating their dad, cousin steps in to stop it and gets a beating with a stick with nails in it :confused: a broken leg and no doubt a lot more, animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Yup thats what happened very strange, were they tooled up to beat their oul lad ?

• Advertisement

****ing animals,and now I see nevin had both legs broken the other one broken in the ankle area ,6 months in a wheelchair its reckoned he will need now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭LowOdour

looks like news is worse for Nevin

m.rte.ie/sport/touch/boxing/2014/0408/607654-nevin-told-be-doctors-he-has-broken-both-legs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Just on the news, both legs broken and I'm sure a lot more, poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Scum absolute scum. Hope he can make it back.

h2005 wrote: »
    Scum absolute scum. Hope he can make it back.

YOU SAID IT JUST EVIL PEOPLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

barney4001 wrote: »
    YOU SAID IT JUST EVIL PEOPLE

Both sides are this carried over from a row the night before and also I'm the hospital the day he went in they were like animals in there . It's a pity the full story is not going the rounds , anyhow what goes around comes around .

madred006 wrote: »
    Both sides are this carried over from a row the night before and also I'm the hospital the day he went in they were like animals in there . It's a pity the full story is not going the rounds , anyhow what goes around comes around .

i certainly there are very serious charges over this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Shame even if he gets back i doubt he will ever be the same fighter, total and utter scum that attacked him. JJN needs to move to the states cut ties with all the crap, all the feuds and other barbaric things. The thing is unfortunately that even if he comes back will we ever know what he might have been. Two broken legs what a horrific injury to happen to such a talented boxer

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Terrible attack, hope he recovers fully and the culprits are brought to justice, but, I have my doubts he will ever be the same again.

You have to question why at the most challenging and important part of his career he is on the home circuit. I know people may disagree but I feel management have a bit to answer for here, and of coarse John Joe himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Shame even if he gets back i doubt he will ever be the same fighter, total and utter scum that attacked him. JJN needs to move to the states cut ties with all the crap, all the feuds and other barbaric things. The thing is unfortunately that even if he comes back will we ever know what he might have been. Two broken legs what a horrific injury to happen to such a talented boxer

People writing him off without proper medical knowledge of the situation is pretty silly.

Advertisement