Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Joe Nevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

walshb wrote: »
    He was the one person I was going to mention but I didn't want to get Mega started with a RJJ rant!

Toney was all god given innate talent. Pretty much all. The guy never ran or barely hit pads. He sparred. That was pretty much it. Hard work? I am sure it was, but I bet many elites put in a lot ore hours, and lot more varied training.

Jirov; ex Soviet bloc Olympic gold medalist, fought in the worlds etc, massive pedigree but got beaten by a man operating on an instinctive level I.e Toney. There's no argument that Toney outworked the likes of Jirov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »

Tends to!

There you have it. Evidence can be refuted and challenged and "disproved." A point I already made!

Anyway, on topic, what was your view of the film on JJN? What did you make of it? I'd be interested to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Is it possible to delete the last few pages of this thread?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Is it possible to delete the last few pages of this thread?

I don't want my posts deleted. Is it due to it being off topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

John Joe in trouble again.....he needs to ditch Mullingar for the next 10 years or so

• Advertisement

John Joe in trouble again.....he needs to ditch Mullingar for the next 10 years or so

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nevin is done for. If you can't keep your nose clean forget it

efb wrote: »
    Nevin is done for. If you can keep your nose clean forget it

Typo?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympic-silver-medallist-john-joe-nevin-to-appear-in-court-following-pub-brawl-31129744.html

Well, when I pointed out how glaring the whole alcohol scene was with JJN people brushed it away and kind of excused it. I didn't. It resonated with me that all was not right. It was a big part of the documentary, and it told me a whole lot about JJNs commitment and character!

walshb wrote: »
    Typo?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Front page of The Star today says he's facing public order charges after an alleged brawl in a pub in Mullingar on Monday.

He's finding himself in court far too often and it doesn't bode well for his future. He doesn't seem to have any desire to leave Mullingar, and he can't seem to stay out of trouble when he's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Should go back ameteur and compete in the Olympics.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Should go back ameteur and compete in the Olympics.

Can't because he had pro fights already.

efb wrote: »
    Nevin is done for. If you can't keep your nose clean forget it

Plenty of boxers have done far worse and gone on to succeed, however I agree with the thrust of your point. He's going to achieve zip f*ck all arsing around a small town in the Irish midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

pro/elite athletes should stay away from pubs, especially in John Joes situation, even if hes not drinking its not a good environment to be in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

pac_man wrote: »
    So for all them Irish fighters that make appearances in pubs in New York and nurture a fan-base, you wouldn't recommend that?

Well in John Joe's case this may not be a bad idea as someone who is prone to distractions/altercations. The 2 broken legs has shaved at least a couple years off the longevity of his career.

It's hard to gauge if he will go far as pro.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Plenty of boxers have done far worse and gone on to succeed, however I agree with the thrust of your point. He's going to achieve zip f*ck all arsing around a small town in the Irish midlands.

not while they were trying to start off, if you have a good record behind you, boxing promoters can forgive and forget, but early on and so repeatedly, there may be an element of not worth the hassle.

You're jumping to conclusions and exaggerating how big it played in the documentary. With this incident, he may not have been drinking for all we know!

He seems to be surrounding himself in trouble. In pubs where trouble follows him. That's all I need to know. The documentary showed a lot to me. It may have been lost on you, but the whole pub/alcohol scene really stood out for me. It showed me nothing but negativity for JJN and his pro career. A tru and committed pro shouldn't be getting involved in that scene. It mostly leads to trouble, and in his case, it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

the irish boxers mentioned are under a rigerous regieme, if they even attempeted any schitE they would be dumped and forever banished from the fight game

So for all them Irish fighters that make appearances in pubs in New York and nurture a fan-base, you wouldn't recommend that?

a different kettle of fish, there are absolutly no comparisons to be made

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

JJ Nevin is a wonderfully talented boxer but it's going to unravel very quickly. no promoter at the top level or trainer will put up with this latest fracas- no boxer worth his salt should be near alcohol or a pub surrounded by hangers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You're jumping to conclusions and exaggerating how big it played in the documentary. With this incident, he may not have been drinking for all we know!

He was intoxicated according to the Gardai in latest reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Barred from every pub in Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Johner wrote: »
    Barred from every pub in Mullingar.

Really? Spends a bit of time in the pub in Kilare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, I was just reading the charges from the court case. If he's guilty, his actions are indefensible. For some,you could give him the benefit of doubt the first time around but if he's getting pissed and involved in street-fights, it's hardly professional.

There's obviously some underlying issue here.There hasn't been a date even mentioned for his next fight and that's kind sad to see because when I look at the careers of Oscar Valdez and Luke Campbell thus far, they're miles apart from Nevin.

I figured something was up when he had 2 fights in quick succession before christmas and none since. The timing of the RTE documentary now looks pretty poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Johner wrote: »

No, sorry, I meant Kilare is a good bit outside mullingar in the sticks. He drinks there a bit. Thought maybe that was the reason but obviously not if the banning was from today.

despite the risk of being banned infacted etc, an old saying comes to mind, nature breaks out thro the eyes of the cat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Seriously he needs to get himself away from Mullingar he clearly can't stay away from distractions while he's here at home, His pro career has got off to a terrible start he's nowhere near the stage he should be, if he doesn't get himself sorted quick his entire career will be over before it stars. He needs a proper promoter as well the crowd he's with are a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

I wouldn't pay any attention to this stuff if he wasn't so inactive. Some hi-jinx in a pub is hardly a sign a young lad is a lost cause. But combined with no fights in a long time it's a concern.

Advertisement