Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Joe Nevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

^ Who...gives....a....sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭bennyineire

qwabercd wrote: »
    ^ Who...gives....a....sh1t.
    Yep your right lets get back to giving out about John Joe,

Seriously though if I had half the talent and obvious determination this guy has I would make it a point to GTF out of Mullingar and not touch a drop till I retire,
    He has the chance to something memorably in his lifetime to tell the Grandchildren (unless he can come up with some physics **** that will make no differance to my life :p).

Come on John Joe the boys will still be there in 10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Yep your right lets get back to giving out about John Joe,

Seriously though if I had half the talent and obvious determination this guy has I would make it a point to GTF out of Mullingar and not touch a drop till I retire,
    He has the chance to something memorably in his lifetime to tell the Grandchildren (unless he can come up with some physics **** that will make no differance to my life :p).

Come on John Joe the boys will still be there in 10 years

last time i heard about john joe he looked more like welter or middleweight

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I was thinking of posting in this thread only yesterday. I was reading the program from the Macklin fight in Dublin and there was John Joe talking about upcoming plans. Not heard a word since bar his brushes with the law. What a waste. Plus I thought he looked awful in the Point, rushed, ragged.

Look at where his Olympic final opponent is, big fight in a stadium next week, World title eliminator apparently, for what thats worth.

Any positive news at all regarding JJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

nevin is already finished and will do nothing in the pro game, you don't get to the top on ability alone and he has the the wrong attitude and it's too late for him now. hes around all the wrong people. shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

nevin is already finished and will do nothing in the pro game, you don't get to the top on ability alone and he has the the wrong attitude and it's too late for him now. hes around all the wrong people. shame.

Ability and talent are two things that he doesn't have in the pro game to begin with. Add this to his attitude and there's no way he will make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He's more of a snack boxer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is he finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

He's more of a snack boxer now.

Aahh, I was wondering how long it would take our resident boxing expert to return.

Welcome back to the boxing forum - where nothing boxing related has happened since you last posted here.

Your words of wisdom and all-round boxing knowledge are eagerly anticipated, thanks so much for returning. We're all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

pac_man wrote: »
    Its kinda laughable that people are able to judge that after three pro fights that he'll never make it as a pro. Given the long lay off, it would appear to me anyway that there's some sort of conflict with Greenjab.
    His life outside the ring makes him not making it the most logical conclusion.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Aahh, I was wondering how long it would take our resident boxing expert to return.

Welcome back to the boxing forum - where nothing boxing related has happened since you last posted here.

Your words of wisdom and all-round boxing knowledge are eagerly anticipated, thanks so much for returning. We're all the better for it.

He just hasn't the mentality to go to the top.
    It's a fact. He has proven that himself by his behaviour.
    Learn to live with it.

He just hasn't the mentality to go to the top.
    It's a fact. He has proven that himself by his behaviour.
    Learn to live with it.

Wonderful stuff.

Even more knowledgeable than I thought.

Keep it coming.

Wonderful stuff.

Even more knowledgeable than I thought.

Keep it coming.

I have no need to keep anything coming.
    He will be in the news again in time for the wrong reasons.
    Watch this space kind of thing.
    Pity is that he is a good boxer but hasn't the mentality to concentrate on it.

I think a bit of honesty is needed here. No issue with a 2nd chance, even a 3rd chance. But it seems that the picture here is quite clear. JJN so far has been incapable of maintaining a committed and dedicated path in the pro game. He has had one too many incidents for me to have any real confidence in how his pro career fares. He's Irish, and we want him to do well. Maybe that is clouding some people's judgment?

Its kinda laughable that people are able to judge that after three pro fights that he'll never make it as a pro. Given the long lay off, it would appear to me anyway that there's some sort of conflict with Greenjab.

It's not laughable when you look at the whole picture. His performances inside the ring (which several here haven't been at all impressed with, me, and you I believe, included) and his actions outside the ring do not instill any confidence for me. A betting man I feel would not be placing any money on success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'm probably guilty of the rose tinted view of Nevin but even if he wasn't Irish,
    I think it's very harsh to write off someone's career after three fights. I think it's a bit premature to be making calls like the quote below.

"Ability and talent are two things that he doesn't have in the pro game to begin with".

Whilst I don't agree with Walsh's quote about, as I havnt seen enough of his pro game, I do agree it seems his head isn't in it. He's what 26? Whilst not old the clock is ticking for his weight class I feel. One would think if his head was in it he would have knuckled down. He probably has a long of clingers on and everyone knows best in his ear.
    I hope I'm wrong.

I have no need to keep anything coming.
    He will be in the news again in time for the wrong reasons.
    Watch this space kind of thing.
    Pity is that he is a good boxer but hasn't the mentality to concentrate on it.

You're truely a boxing fanatic.

Boxing, boxing, boxing.

No wonder you have the inside track on all things boxing.

Any more boxing-related pearls of wisdom you care to share with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

It seems to me that JJN has made a series of poor choices since turning pro. The whole process of choosing a promoter & fight stable was a mess from day one. It's possible he is on the receiving end of heaps of "bar stool advice". While inside the confines of the amateur game JJN had no choices to make, they were made for him. Turning pro opened up a world that requires a high level of astuteness on many fronts. Think of Frampton - McGuigan, Jason Quigley - His Dad, etc

JJ tried to pave his way as a pro but has simply taken a few wrong turns, hopefully he can turn it around & achieve what he is capable of.

I'm probably guilty of the rose tinted view of Nevin but even if he wasn't Irish,
    I think it's very harsh to write off someone's career after three fights. I think it's a bit premature to be making calls like the quote below.

"Ability and talent are two things that he doesn't have in the pro game to begin with".

I see him as being too much of an amateur style. The ability and talent levels are no doubt there for the amateur fencing type game. I just have seen little to suggest that he has the make up and traits to be a good or very good pro. I could be wrong. It's a feeling I have. I don't see his talent and ability being near the level to be a successful pro. I know, it is early days, but we can still guess and feel for it. Before he turned pro I didn't believe that he had the game and style and substance for it. I have thought that about others too.

You're truely a boxing fanatic.

Boxing, boxing, boxing.

No wonder you have the inside track on all things boxing.

Any more boxing-related pearls of wisdom you care to share with us?

Yes.
    JJ will never be World champion.

• Advertisement

Yes.
    JJ will never be World champion.

Hold on, when Anthony Crolla (or Perez, who is a WC) can almost be called a WC then maybe there's a chance?

walshb wrote: »
    Hold on, when Anthony Crolla (or Perez, who is a WC) can almost be called a WC then maybe there's a chance?

JJ has too many distractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Lets be honest.

JJN has all the ability and opportunity to be a top level fighter and could easily win a title. All you have to do is look at the hype the Mexican he beat soundly is getting in the US. He'll be champ in two years.

However

I don't like to be politically incorrect, but Nevins Family and cultural situation seems to be too much to navigate through. He doesn't seem intelligent enough to get through his current situation. I can't see much investment being put into him for various reasons and therefore he will slip into insignificance.

Its all his own and peoples close to him's fault too.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    Lets be honest.

JJN has all the ability and opportunity to be a top level fighter and could easily win a title. All you have to do is look at the hype the Mexican he beat soundly is getting in the US. He'll be champ in two years.

You seem to be basing this off the amateur game. That is not an effective way to judge. Nevin for me is not someone that has the traits to go far at the far rougher and tougher pro game. He did beat the Mexican, but it was a damn tough fight over 9 minutes. Ireland has always produced great amateur talents to the levels of a JJN, or close, but most of them never made it as top pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭mooreman09

You seem to be basing this off the amateur game. That is not an effective way to judge. Nevin for me is not someone that has the traits to go far at the far rougher and tougher pro game. He did beat the Mexican, but it was a damn tough fight over 9 minutes. Ireland has always produced great amateur talents to the levels of a JJN, or close, but most of them never made it as top pros.

I'll agree that its not easy to translate from AM to PRO. I do think that Nevin has the traits though. He wasn't a delicate AM, he was a tough and rugged fighter when he needed to be. He had the skills but certainly had the spite and grit he needed at times. I was very confident that he would translate very well into the Pro game. He can fight conservetivly and pace himself, which is vital over 12. He has decent pop in shots, can hold a good shot and he has alot of intangibles required.

I thought he handled Valdez comfortably, He got into a big lead and then just cruised. Anyways, I think if he applied himself as a real pro should, he'd have a very very good chance of winning a world title. Unfortunately we'll probably never find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Slightly off topic, but just how far is Jonjo Nevin behind Campbell now.
    Since Nevin lost out to him for Olympic gold while being favourite to take it.
    Campbell stumbled his way to that final while Jonjo blazed his way there, completely overwhelming every opponent. But a serious loss of focus leading up to the gold medal bout where he was more worried about his kin-folk back home not being allowed access to pubs to watch him fight than he was about beating Campbell.

I'm aware of the incident but have you got a source to suggest he was more worried about his family than the fight?

Source.?? Jonjo himself stated in several interviews leading up to the final that his family back home were being discriminated against by being refused entry to public houses to watch his bouts. To me, that shows a serious lack of focus because at a time like that he should have virtually no contact with those back home.
    Contrast that with Katie Taylor who stated in an interview that her mobile phone was switched off 10 days before her first bout until 2/3 days after winning gold. Apart from her coaches and going to watch other Irish boxers fight she had zero contact with the outside world during the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Was just thinking about John Joe, earlier this week as I've heard nothing about him lately.

I take no glory in saying it, but I would agree with most on here and feel he is far more likely not to make it than he is to make it.

The most worrying thing for me was not the fact he was hanging around with the wrong crowd/ or he is on the beer as he could change this in the morning and get to work (if he choose to do so) but it was the fact that he had a really bad leg break. This can take much longer to get over and you will not be able to move in the same way as before. This too can be over come of coarse, but when you add all these factors up and the fact hes no spring chicken now either then it doesn't look good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

On another note I remember after John Joe beating the Mexician in the semi final I logged on to some of the US boxing sites who had reported on the fight.

I like looking at different perspectives than the media with the green tinted glasses over here. What I thought was intriguing was the comments below the article from facebookers, most giving out about the style of boxing and it is gone too much like fencing and a lot saying that this fight was the final nail in the coffin for armature boxing in the US- Mexico and they have lost all interest in armature bouts.

Not John Joes fault obviously, but I thought it was an interesting perspective on the difference between the armature and pro game and possibly why we don't have more fighters that make it big in the pro game considering we punch well above our weight in the armature game.

Will see if I can dig out some links....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Should have stayed amateur and went for gold in the next Olympics.

washman3 wrote: »
    Source.?? Jonjo himself stated in several interviews leading up to the final that his family back home were being discriminated against by being refused entry to public houses to watch his bouts. To me, that shows a serious lack of focus because at a time like that he should have virtually no contact with those back home.
    Contrast that with Katie Taylor who stated in an interview that her mobile phone was switched off 10 days before her first bout until 2/3 days after winning gold. Apart from her coaches and going to watch other Irish boxers fight she had zero contact with the outside world during the games.

various streams were doing olympic finals live as well as you tube' so was quite easy to have access to the finals RTE also i believe

JJN was not favorite vs. Campbell. As far as I now they were 1 apiece going into that fight in London, with Campbell being the winner of fight 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

John Joe on Twitter today:

"To everyone who keeps asking me when I'm in the ring well, my team have made it official that I’m going to have a busy two months to catch up.

So I have good few fights lined up and I’m really looking forward to it, get the wins under my belt and aim for a world title.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ah,sure wrote: »
    John Joe on Twitter today:

"To everyone who keeps asking me when I'm in the ring well, my team have made it official that I’m going to have a busy two months to catch up.

So I have good few fights lined up and I’m really looking forward to it, get the wins under my belt and aim for a world title.”

Good news

JOHN JOE NEVIN won gold at the last European Championships two years ago — now he is finally able to dream about the big prizes in the pro game.

Nevin has signed up with the influential American fight boss Cameron Dunkin, who will be his co-manager along with Tom Moran.

Inactive since November, the London 2012 silver medallist is set to fight again soon with plans to put him on a New York card on August 25. Moran said: “I’ve had five world champions but compared to Cameron, that’s nothing as he’s had 33. He doesn’t get involved in a fighter unless he believes the kid can be a world champion.”

Nevin, 26, will be based in Philadelphia before his US campaign begins again.

• Advertisement

barney4001 wrote: »
    JOHN JOE NEVIN won gold at the last European Championships two years ago — now he is finally able to dream about the big prizes in the pro game.

Nevin has signed up with the influential American fight boss Cameron Dunkin, who will be his co-manager along with Tom Moran.

Inactive since November, the London 2012 silver medallist is set to fight again soon with plans to put him on a New York card on August 25. Moran said: “I’ve had five world champions but compared to Cameron, that’s nothing as he’s had 33. He doesn’t get involved in a fighter unless he believes the kid can be a world champion.”

Nevin, 26, will be based in Philadelphia before his US campaign begins again.

What other boxers does Cameron Dunkin manage.?
    Who is this Tom Moran guy.? Irish/American.?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

washman3 wrote: »
    What other boxers does Cameron Dunkin manage.?
    Who is this Tom Moran guy.? Irish/American.?

More info here

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/6579265/We-reveal-John-Joe-Nevins-new-team.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

John Joe fighting tonight in New York. Up against never-before-stopped Victor Raul Capaceta of Mexico. Not sure what time it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Pighead wrote: »
    John Joe fighting tonight in New York. Up against never-before-stopped Victor Raul Capaceta of Mexico. Not sure what time it's on.

Is it possible to see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to see this?
    Not sure if it was on anywhere but he won anyway.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/john-joe-nevin-wins-by-tko-on-return-to-the-ring-1.2329212

Here's a short crappy video of a bit of the fight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kiwdvXkYc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

John Joe has been very active on Twitter lately and seems in a better place now. Says he is fighting next month in the UK, don't think he is cut out to make it in the pro game but it's nice to see he's doing better after those horrific injuries.

https://twitter.com/johnJoeNevin/status/876208404603297792

He might become a Twitter world champion.:rolleyes:

With all due respect does anyone care?

I personally couldn't care less....A few years ago I would have tuned in and followed....been too little too late for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

his private life exploits has burned many bridges in the eyes of the ordinary guy, they/we simply dont give a f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

JJN was not favorite vs. Campbell. As far as I now they were 1 apiece going into that fight in London, with Campbell being the winner of fight 2.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but after watching JJN school the Cuban I was confident he'd win the gold. Look at them now. Campbell might not be the biggest name but I'm sure he's top ten in some of the rankings. Nevin still fighting tomato cans. Waste of talent.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but after watching JJN school the Cuban I was confident he'd win the gold. Look at them now. Campbell might not be the biggest name but I'm sure he's top ten in some of the rankings. Nevin still fighting tomato cans. Waste of talent.

I wasn't confident. JJN had lost their most recent fight, and Campbell to me presented physical issues for JJN. Plus he was the home favorite. JJN had a small mountain to climb.

Correct, they were 1-1 going into that final but all the momentum was with Nevin
    He was in the form of his life, completely dominated every fight (and indeed round) up to the final. He destroyed the Cuban. Maybe in hindsight, if the Cuban had been his final opponent things would have been different. He completely took Campbell for granted after that Cuban demolition. This was probably due to the fact that he took his eye off the ball and became more concerned with 'issues back home'. Total nonsense carry-on of course. He should've completely isolated himself from any contact with home.
    Contrast this with Katie Taylor, who states in an interview that she switched off her phone 10 days before her first fight and switched it back on 2/3 days after winning gold. incredible focus. Just look where she is now.
    Incidentally, Campbell has since fought a World title fight, which he lost, but he is still in the mix for another crack. He is doing very well for himself.

JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless you are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

Campbell was also having a very good London tournament up to the final.

He also had a very close loss to the Cuban that JJN beat in his semi when Campbell bagged a silver at the 2011 world's. Remember, that is where he beat Nevin on a countback in the world semi final 2011.

I think Nevin's win over Campbell was a 9-2 win from a few years before, at the EU 2009 championships.

Stylistically he was always going to be tough for a JJN style fighter. Taller, rangier and kind of countering. Nevin likes lads to come to him. Campbell was able to box at long and mid range and use his height and reach to its full advantage.

I'd also argue that Nevin did not dominate every rd up to the final.

Sure, Nevin for me showed excellence, but he was not dominant throughout. Let's not overestimate it. Rd 2 QF (I think) against Valdez was where he was dropped with a body shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement