Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Joe Nevin

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless uou are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

Campbell was also having a very good London tournament up to the final.

He also had a very close loss to the Cuban that JJN beat in his semi when Campbell bagged a silver at the 2011 world's. Remember, that is where he beat Nevin on a countback in the world semi final 2011.

I think Nevin's win over Campbell was a 9-2 win from a few years before, at the EU 2009 championships.

Stylistically he was always going to be tough for a JJN style fighter. Taller, rangier and kind of countering. Nevin likes lads to come to him. Campbell was able to box at long and mid range and use his height and reach to its full advantage.

That analysis is spot on. I remember Nevin being very hard on himself afterwards, saying he'd got his approach badly wrong but not sure how he could have fought it any differently. The difference in their earlier fights was I dont think the GB set-up was quite as good at that time, Campbell went up another level when Rob McCracken took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

JJN did absolutely not take Campbell for granted. He lost to the better man in a competitive fight. He had already lost their recent meeting. There was no taking for granted, unless uou are implying him to be dumb? Because that is the only way he could have taken him for granted.

Campbell was also having a very good London tournament up to the final.

He also had a very close loss to the Cuban that JJN beat in his semi when Campbell bagged a silver at the 2011 world's. Remember, that is where he beat Nevin on a countback in the world semi final 2011.

I think Nevin's win over Campbell was a 9-2 win from a few years before, at the EU 2009 championships.

Stylistically he was always going to be tough for a JJN style fighter. Taller, rangier and kind of countering. Nevin likes lads to come to him. Campbell was able to box at long and mid range and use his height and reach to its full advantage.

Perfect response to a very silly post.

You forgot to mention also, that Luke Campbell has NOT fought for a world title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

megadodge wrote: »

You forgot to mention also, that Luke Campbell has NOT fought for a world title.

I didn't read that far down..😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but after watching JJN school the Cuban I was confident he'd win the gold. Look at them now. Campbell might not be the biggest name but I'm sure he's top ten in some of the rankings. Nevin still fighting tomato cans. Waste of talent.

I wasn't confident. JJN had lost their most recent fight, and Campbell to me presented physical issues for JJN. Plus he was the home favorite. JJN had a small mountain to climb.

Ah, form has a lot to do with it as well. You know yourself there are times when your timing is spot on and everything is coming together and working. Of course, the top fellas should be switched on all the time.
    JJN was flying though in the semi. The Cuban he boxed was young but I think he had already won a fair bit and might have been the Gold medal favourite going into the Olympics. I think that Nevin was ranked 4th and Campbell above him pre-tournament.....but I think the semi-final would have made JJN slight favourite for the final.
    Fair enough regarding the advantage of boxing at home and easier/less fights but London was almost like a home venue for the Irish in terms of support. (I think Katie Taylor's bouts broke records for noise levels)
    Either way, it's a moot point now. He should have stayed in the amateurs and hopefully kept his funding for another few years

Advertisement