Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Joe Nevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

There have been a couple of posts on here about "reverting to type" which are simply out of order for sure and will hopefully be deleted. But don't tar all folks in this debate with the prejudice card.

Megadodge has issues with my thoughts on Joe Ward being a bad trainer, and no doubt it will be spun as some dig at travellers. The fact the 2 lads are travellers has nothing to do with it.

As for Nevin, we are not really seeing any debate on his pro boxing future, rather insults about drinking habits seem to be getting traded. Theres a long list of boxers who had glittering amateur careers and faded into obscurity/hit the bottle when the safety net of public funding was removed.

On the evidence in front of us so far, Nevin is falling into that trap. Its his career or talent to waste. But his pro career is in a spot of bother going by all the facts in front of us.

That's a fair comment, because there's no doubt his career should be farther on than it is.

And as you said, he's far from being the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

megadodge wrote: »
    Still waiting for the lies.

What lies?

What lies?

Exactly!!!

Exactly!!!

You seem to be having a problem with the English language.
    You were the only person to mention the word "lies".

You seem to be having a problem with the English language.
    You were the only person to mention the word "lies".

There were two lies accredited to me - I have quoted both.
    I sarcastically told the poster not to let facts get in the way.
    You then told me to heed my own advice.
    In other words, I wasn't dealing in facts.
    What's the opposite to a 'fact'?

Ask one of your five high achievers to explain to you how that equates to me being a liar.

• Advertisement

Ask one of your five high achievers to explain to you how that equates to me being a liar.

All that would depend on which "facts" were actually facts then, wouldn't it.
    You don't have to be a high achiever to know that.
    So where are the lies?

All that would depend on which "facts" were actually facts then, wouldn't it.
    You don't have to be a high achiever to know that.

Huh???
    So where are the lies?

As I proved in my last post, you were the one that accused me of lying.
    So where are the lies?

Huh???

As I proved in my last post, you were the one that accused me of lying.
    So where are the lies?

You proved nothing at all.
    How do you think you proved anything?
    How is asking you to heed your own advice accusing you of lying?
    You are grasping at straws in an effort to score points and save face but your arguments on behalf of Nevin were falling on deaf ears and you were making no headway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He is about to "waste" all the training and effort that dedicated people invested in him and as such he's a waster. He had a great chance in life but the traveler came out in him in the end and he wasted that chance.

I don't know for certain if you have a dislike or even a hate for travellers but this comment is pretty impacting! An edit wouldn't go astray IMO!

walshb wrote: »
    I don't know for certain if you have a dislike or even a hate for travellers but this comment is pretty impacting! An edit wouldn't go astray IMO!

There is a very strong history of traveler feuds in Ireland and particularly in Mullingar. Neither faction want to give way and it's their tradition to settle disputes by way of the fists. The family name is very important. This was just another episode and Nevin should have walked and protected his career. He chose not to leave and became involved in a traveler brawl. That's why I said "the traveler came out in him" i.e. he chose their way rather than leave the scene peacefully. Hence my comment which I believe is apt.
    I have nothing against travelers at all except that I believe they should sort out their differences in another way.

• Advertisement

You proved nothing at all.
    How do you think you proved anything?
    How is asking you to heed your own advice accusing you of lying?
    You are grasping at straws in an effort to score points and save face but your arguments on behalf of Nevin were falling on deaf ears and you were making no headway.

I proved and you understood, but you pretended not to.
    Which is what you've been doing for the duration of our tete-a-tete.

Or maybe you're genuinely not intelligent enough, so I'll help you out.
    What part of the following do you not understand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Take it to PMs lads. Seriously!

I proved and you understood, but you pretended not to.
    Which is what you've been doing for the duration of our tete-a-tete.

Or maybe you're genuinely not intelligent enough, so I'll help you out.
    What part of the following do you not understand?

Point out where "you should heed your own advice" is accusing you of a lie.

Your posts are getting very silly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nobody called anyone a liar. At least not from what I can see.

Point out where "you should heed your own advice" is accusing you of a lie.

Your posts are getting very silly now.

Considering my advice was (given sarcastically I'll admit) to stop lying and you told me to heed that very advice myself.....

Well???

Still not understanding it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

So you're still claiming something as common as a third level qualification is a better achievment than winning an Olympic medal?

Because that's truely delusional!!

it is what a person does with the medal or the education which sorts the winners from the loosers

pac_man wrote: »
    Lads will both of you's just agree to disagree.Alternatively, If it's something that is still bothering either of you, send each other a PM to sort it out. The nitpicking is just derailing the thread which is unfair to other posters.

Fair enough, but if somebody accuses me of lying I'm not going to back down.

Which was a response to me telling someone not to let the facts get in the way after he had claimed Nevin was "my idol". Something I never claimed. Another poster called him "your lad". I'm not his father either.
    whyi claimed that nevin is your idol is, you cannot see any bad in him, that you claim that his olympic medal is better than anything anyone on this thread has achived including educational achivements

flutered wrote: »
    whyi claimed that nevin is your idol is, you cannot see any bad in him, that you claim that his olympic medal is better than anything anyone on this thread has achived including educational achivements

I knew what you meant.
    Hence I told him to heed his own advice and stop looking up to Nevin BUT he still doesn't see it.

Well you lied. Because he's not my idol. I don't have an idol. And I never did.

And for the rest of my life I will hold the view that no educational qualification is as big an achievement as winning an Olympic medal. And to suggest it is is mind-boggling to put it mildly.

• Advertisement

I knew it.

One of the reasons I asked the question was because I was absolutely certain someone would come on claiming a third level qualification is a better acheivement than an Olympic medal.

Think about that for a nanosecond.
    and a poster fell for it

an olympian is spoon fed from an early age, everything is laid out for them, their food, diet, training regeme, rest time, sleep time time off, income, etc etc, a third level degree is harder earned, one has to get up and go to collage, arrange study, work for money, then study study study, oh, then pass the exams

and a poster fell for it

an olympian is spoon fed from an early age, everything is laid out for them, their food, diet, training regeme, rest time, sleep time time off, income, etc etc, a third level degree is harder earned, one has to get up and go to collage, arrange study, work for money, then study study study, oh, then pass the exams

I'm finding it hard to believe you don't drink.

Seriously!

Will we ever see Nevin in a title fight now after this?
    I can't see it happening myself. All that training and investment wasted.

Well you lied. Because he's not my idol. I don't have an idol. And I never did.

And for the rest of my life I will hold the view that no educational qualification is as big an achievement as winning an Olympic medal. And to suggest it is is mind-boggling to put it mildly.

i made a statement based on the info you provided, if that is a lie then quite a bit of head scratching is required, as regards the medal v education, it is a matter of opinion, dunno about the mind boggling bit.

Well it's certainly not looking as rosey as it could have, but people have come back from much worse obstacles and will do so again.

pac_man wrote: »
    Is this purely on the basis of the court case?

Yes. If he gets a conviction in court he might have trouble getting a visa or people in boxing might lose faith in him and step away. They may consider him too much of a risk to work with in view of this and his last episode where he got serious injuries to his legs. Let's home the Judge is lenient with him though.

the thing is it has cost him nothing only his time, the tax payer funded the rest, he has to come up with some readies first, managers, trainers, gym hire, sparring partners etc, 30-35% of any purse goes to all that, what purse will he be able to draw.

the thing is it has cost him nothing only his time, the tax payer funded the rest, he has to come up with some readies first, managers, trainers, gym hire, sparring partners etc, 30-35% of any purse goes to all that, what purse will he be able to draw.

But would you put money up-front for a fight? I wouldn't.

I'm finding it hard to believe you don't drink.

Seriously!

well, try and get you head around it, it may help the thread,

• Advertisement

But would you put money up-front for a fight? I wouldn't.

no, i would not, but then his community are noted for being able to get their hands on massive amounts of it

Advertisement