Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Electricals to Tesco

Options
  • 16-02-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone can advise.

I bought a 19" LCD TV/DVD combo from Tesco last August (2013). The DVD player has developed a fault and I'm thinking of returning it to Tesco (I still have the receipt) but as it was bought last August I don't have the box or any of the packaging it came in.

Do you think Tesco would accept the unit back without the packaging???

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bijou wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone can advise.

I bought a 19" LCD TV/DVD combo from Tesco last August (2013). The DVD player has developed a fault and I'm thinking of returning it to Tesco (I still have the receipt) but as it was bought last August I don't have the box or any of the packaging it came in.

Do you think Tesco would accept the unit back without the packaging???

Thanks.
    Yes they should accept it back and offer to repair or replace the item or offer you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Packaging is not required if the item is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks guys - I'll get on to them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fergie199

Your covered on the Sales of Goods and Supplies act 1980, the item was not made of merchantable quality,

You are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or credit note, be warned tho the store may only over a repair or credit not as the original packaging is no longer with it

as always, Thanks for reading

Fergie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the item is faulty, a credit note is not a valid offer. You can accept a credit note, if it suits you do so, but be aware that you are truly entitled to a refund, replacement or repair.

Packaging does not matter when an item is faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

fergie199 wrote: »
    Your covered on the Sales of Goods and Supplies act ...
    That's the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.
    ... the item was not made of merchantable quality, ...
    How do you know? Did you examine it? Maybe it's not fit for purpose, or as described, or of merchantable quality.
    ... You are entitled to a refund, replacement, repair or credit note, ...
    The poster may be entitled to one of the "3 Rs":
    • Repair
    • Replacement
    • Refund.
    There is no 4th option, ever.
    ... be warned tho the store may only over a repair or credit not as the original packaging is no longer with it ...
    Nah, that's just nonsense.
    ... as always, Thanks for reading ...
    Pas de problem, happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

mathepac wrote: »
    That's the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.
    How do you know? Did you examine it? Maybe it's not fit for purpose, or as described, or of merchantable quality.
    The poster may be entitled to one of the "3 Rs":
    • Repair
    • Replacement
    • Refund.
    There is no 4th option, ever.
    Nah, that's just nonsense.
    Pas de problem, happy to help.

There is : mutual agreement of an alternative.
    The 3Rs are forms of redress which the buyer can impose on the seller, but nothing prevents the buyer and the seller from agreeing an alternative.

Note also that the refund does not necessarily have to be a full refund, the buyer can accept a price reduction.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0021.html#sec21
    (a) set up against the seller the breach of warranty in diminution or extinction of the price, or

Advertisement