Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

• 17-02-2014 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

So the rumour mill sped up over the last week with countless sites sharing supposed leaked photos of its prototype, which seem to have been fake: leaked pics

What do you all reckon may make it to the iP6? Bigger screen, improved camera, tougher screen material?

Would love a bigger screen myself, not phablet sized but around the 4.7 inch mark. I'm not sure the camera will be bumped massively to compete with the 13 MP camera of the S4, given more pixels doesn't always mean better I'm thinking a 10MP camera with a lot of focus given to image stabilization? I assume the processor will only be a slight improvement over the 5s and perhaps this will be the first iPhone to make the leap to 2GB RAM?

What do the rest of you reckon and hope for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Got the 5s last April and the battery is a serous issue for me now, wouldn't be on it all the time but am charging at least twice a day, closing apps, screen almost completely dark and still can't keep the battery. It's a lot of work carrying a charger around. Battery improvement should be number 1.

Anyone else have the same problem or should I maybe take it to the shop and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Got the 5s last April and the battery is a serous issue for me now, wouldn't be on it all the time but am charging at least twice a day, closing apps, screen almost completely dark and still can't keep the battery. It's a lot of work carrying a charger around. Battery improvement should be number 1.

Anyone else have the same problem or should I maybe take it to the shop and see what they say.

That is an issue for most Smart phones. It depends on how much you use it though.

I know I do the same as you but I use my 5 regularly whilst at home and I've had to charge it after 8-9 hours. It was the same with any smart phone I owned.

If you barely use it and still have that issue then definitely something is wrong with the battery on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

A bigger screen seems to be the most warranted enhancement in the iPhone development but the actual device shouldn't increase in size too much as there is still space on current generation devices to increase screen size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Personally I'm hoping for a wider screen, preferably edge to edge. That's the one thing that makes a phone screen look big even if it isn't. I'd also like to see a sapphire screen as it's basically scratchproof, and I imagine there'll be a bigger form factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Suppose just pretend it's an IPhone 6 commercial :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Zcott wrote: »
    Personally I'm hoping for a wider screen, preferably edge to edge. That's the one thing that makes a phone screen look big even if it isn't. I'd also like to see a sapphire screen as it's basically scratchproof, and I imagine there'll be a bigger form factor.

It seems the "leaked" phone design would have been right up your alley :p

BgS1GwJCMAAqlrx1-640x480.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

4.3" screen max. The Note and Galaxy lines are a joke they are so big, but I used a z10 BB for a while and the 4.2" screen is just right.
    If you need more than 8mp buy a camera. The sensor is all important, not MP.
    I've never had a problem with iPhone screens scratching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

It seems the "leaked" phone design would have been right up your alley :p

BgS1GwJCMAAqlrx1-640x480.jpg

Yep, saw that and decided I want one ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I ain't be getting an another iphone unless they resolve the serious battery issue. I've stopped all apps from refreshing in the background and the battery life still sucks. Who cares about 18% thinner. I would rather 59% fatter if it meant I could use the phone for the duration if a work day without the phone dying.
    I really don't think iPhones are fit for purpose with their poor battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'm using a galaxy s4 and I switched from a iPhone. I honestly can't use an iPhone anymore. The screen is just to small for me. One you get a 5 inch screen you can hack anything smaller.

Apples biggest weakest in China is the small screen size of its phone. I visited China during the summer and nearly everyone uses Samsung galaxy or note for their screen size. And the fact android has custom keyboards for Chinese characters.

A biggest screen is hard to get used to at first. But you honestly can't go back to anything smaller afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

iphone is playing catch up with other phone maker
    before it used to be 2 years ahead now its 6 months behind,

apple will see what Samsung galaxy 5 does,

if apple keeps its high prices it will be left on the shelf,expect 5 inch phone
    apples in talks with sony about the camera sensors

sony also supplys Samsung phones

it should be announced in june and come out in October

expect an iwatch as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

iphone is playing catch up with other phone maker
    before it used to be 2 years ahead now its 6 months behind,

apple will see what Samsung galaxy 5 does,

if apple keeps its high prices it will be left on the shelf,expect 5 inch phone
    apples in talks with sony about the camera sensors

sony also supplys Samsung phones

it should be announced in june and come out in October

expect an iwatch as well

This crap about the prices annoys me. Everyone saying iPhones are more expensive but unlocked galaxies cost just as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Do they still expect this to launch in autumn? These rumor threads get earlier and earlier every year.

A larger screen is a must. The other thing I love about my Android compared to my iPhone is wireless charging. If you are a very heavy phone user no size of battery will last the day but having a wireless charger on your desk is brilliant. I'm amazed at how useful it is and always full my battery is.

Starbucks, McDonnalds, some libraries and universities in the UK and other places are testing wireless charging units built into desks and tables.
    The thing I'm afraid of is Apple will go their own way and use their own wireless charging while all Android phones will eventually use the same technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

ted1 wrote: »
    I ain't be getting an another iphone unless they resolve the serious battery issue. I've stopped all apps from refreshing in the background and the battery life still sucks. Who cares about 18% thinner. I would rather 59% fatter if it meant I could use the phone for the duration if a work day without the phone dying.

Sing it sister!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Those leaked images are just fake renders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Regarding batteries, it's not the size of it that counts for me. but the technology.

I think a manufacturer comes out with a phone containing a battery the same size as today's that is based on something other than ion lithium and can last for days without a charge like old phones did will be on to a major winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

murpho999 wrote: »
    Regarding batteries, it's not the size of it that counts for me. but the technology.

I think a manufacturer comes out with a phone containing a battery the same size as today's that is based on something other than ion lithium and can last for days without a charge like old phones did will be on to a major winner.

batteries are measured in AmpHours so its the size of the amp hours......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The rendered images look really good. Would be nice to see something similar next September. Would be nice to see battery life improved to a full day of heavy usage but can't see that being done alongside a bigger screen. Yeah bigger battery size but it will probably be the same 10 hour on wifi etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Even if those photos are fake it shows one thing that we all knew since the original iPad mini came out.

The back case surrounding of the iPad Mini / Air was a live product test to see if it apple could do it in iPhone numbers.

Building an iPhone with the same method they do an iPad Air allows them to have more internal space (not to mention more ergonomically sound), hopefully this will be used for battery. if the screen was to get bigger then there'll be even more space for battery. Hopefully there will be not much increase in battery draw from the increased screen size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ted1 wrote: »

Wait till you get an Android..you'll never complain about an iphone battery ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

The screen on the 5 is about right, IMO. As has been said I'd like to see them resolve the battery issue, though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Blazer wrote: »
    Wait till you get an Android..you'll never complain about an iphone battery ever again.

Jesus, have Android users stopped complaining about their Galaxy's terrible battery life.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

whiterebel wrote: »
    Jesus, have Android users stopped complaining about their Galaxy's terrible battery life.......:rolleyes:

nope..and they never will :D

mad muffin wrote: »
    Those leaked images are just fake renders.

Which I stated in the OP.

Blazer wrote: »

I've used a couple of Android devices before my current 4s, I had a Galaxy S2 last and I found the battery life much the same to tell you the truth man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Which I stated in the OP.

The only reason this got any traction was because they were presented as real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This post has been deleted.

What I find great about the iPhone is how quickly it charges. So even if you struggle to get a full days usage on a single charge, if you can access a power point for an hour at some stage during the day it makes a huge difference. It's good for the battery to charge at regular intervals anyway. If you can't access power throughout the day, there is the option of battery cases or power banks. I can't remember the last time I've been very low on battery and unable to charge it in time.

Screen size: The 6 has to be bigger. If they can increase the screen size without making the phone too big (reduced bezels) it would be brilliant. I like the Galaxy S3 screen size when I've used it in stores, so something along those lines would be good. 4" is that bit too small now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd expect an autumn release of a iP6 with a slightly bigger screen. Closer to 4.3 than 4.7. Hopefully wider rather than taller.

I'm hoping they leave the MP alone and focus on the sensor/glass/software - unless they plan on bumping the default storage up to 32GB.

And an FM radio. :D

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    The only reason this got any traction was because they were presented as real.

Yes in the media. This is a thread about what users here are hoping and expecting in the phone. There's no harm in having a discussion about that and any rumours either. Maybe add your own hopes instead of nit picking?

Advertisement