Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm getting really tired of the whole waiting game with Apple. Upgrades once a year may suit them from a financial perspective but it doesn't suit me.

Bought a 5S to do me for another year. Sure if they release it in September it will be Christmas until it's readily available. And if they release a 5.5 inch one around Christmas time we won't get our hand on it until next March or April.

Based on what's being leaked so far it's hardly going to be groundbreaking anyway.

So you have the latest 5s approximately 5 months and you are fed up with Apples product cycle.

Do you really expect a phone every six months?

What would be groundbreaking design on a phone that will still require a front, back and sides and a screen?

I really don't understand what people are expecting and I don't see what's ground breaking in the competition either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Samsung Galaxy S5 - 11 April 2014 (5 days ago);
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - 26 April 2013 (practically a year at this point);
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - 29 May 2012 (22 months ago);

There's the guts of a year in between flag ship phones.

Don't know if samsung are a good enough use case, they usually copy some other company anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think the big advances have all been made now. It's evolution, not revolution, from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you have the latest 5s approximately 5 months and you are fed up with Apples product cycle.

What would be groundbreaking design on a phone that will still require a front, back and sides and a screen?

I really don't understand what people are expecting and I don't see what's ground breaking in the competition either.

Well I will try to explain: the iPhone was groundbreaking because of the touchscreen ui and the apps. Suddenly the phone was more than a phone. The Android phones caught up in terms of ui and the number of relevant apps but they won out on screen real estate. After all, if the phone is more than a phone with a touch ui......I'm sure you get it. But Apple stayed the same with a repeated defence of "perfect size", "Balkanisation" of the ui/os, design, build quality. It became clearer and clearer even to Apple that a consumer product has to come as part of a range and people saying Steve Jobs knows best was a load of bullshyte. As others have noted here he got it wrong plenty.

I agree with you that groundbreaking is hardly likely now. But I have stuck with the iPhone; it was a close run thing the last time whether I switched. I want one device with me, not two. I'm waiting this time to see whether I get a big enough screen and I want to see if they do a watch and what they do with it. A watch could be groundbreaking. I'm afraid that if the leaked photos are real there's an egotistical dogma ruling Apple and that there's a refusal to recognise that one design in consumer electronics can't last a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I will try to explain: the iPhone was groundbreaking because of the touchscreen ui and the apps. Suddenly the phone was more than a phone. The Android phones caught up in terms of ui and the number of relevant apps but they won out on screen real estate. After all, if the phone is more than a phone with a touch ui......I'm sure you get it. But Apple stayed the same with a repeated defence of "perfect size", "Balkanisation" of the ui/os, design, build quality. It became clearer and clearer even to Apple that a consumer product has to come as part of a range and people saying Steve Jobs knows best was a load of bullshyte. As others have noted here he got it wrong plenty.

I agree with you that groundbreaking is hardly likely now. But I have stuck with the iPhone; it was a close run thing the last time whether I switched. I want one device with me, not two. I'm waiting this time to see whether I get a big enough screen and I want to see if they do a watch and what they do with it. A watch could be groundbreaking. I'm afraid that if the leaked photos are real there's an egotistical dogma ruling Apple and that there's a refusal to recognise that one design in consumer electronics can't last a lifetime.

I really think you're putting too much into the expectations of a watch.
    Also I don't see what a watch would bring apart from fitness apps that would stop you using a phone.
    From reading your post your main concern seems to be screen size. There appears to be a very strong chance that the next range of iPhones will be bigger but you say that you still want 'ground breaking'.

At the end it all comes down to personal choice. Like the first car that came out over a hundred years ago, it was ground breaking. Then other manufacturers came along and improved things with gradual enhancements.

In the sixties for example, cars did not have radios, heating or seat belts.
    Over 100 years later, cars come in all shapes and sizes with lots of various features but arguably nothing ground breaking has been done to cars since the Ford Model T.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there but I hope you get my point.

• Advertisement

Also I don't see what a watch would bring apart from fitness apps that would stop you using a phone.
    From reading your post your main concern seems to be screen size. There appears to be a very strong chance that the next range of iPhones will be bigger but you say that you still want 'ground breaking'.

At the end it all comes down to personal choice. Like the first car that came out over a hundred years ago, it was ground breaking. Then other manufacturers came along and improved things with gradual enhancements.

Over 100 years later, cars come in all shapes and sizes with lots of various features but arguably nothing ground breaking has been done to cars since the Ford Model T.

Indeed I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭squonk

I never thought too much about the one-handed use thing until I found myself in hospital at one point, lying for days on my front and the ability to grab my iPhone and check mails etc. with only one hand, even text, was fantastic.

I've used friend's Galaxys for a bit at times and found them just too big and awkward. I really hope Apple don't go down the bigger phone route just so they can have a bigger screen. I wouldn't mind seeing the bezels shrink a bit to accomodate a slightly larger screen in the same form factor but I already have an iPad which does me fine for when I need a larger screen. Most of the time I get by fine on the iPhone for the odd time when I need to watch YouTube videos off FB or the very odd bit of news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Expecting there to be two iPhones a year is crazy. I don't get the "I just bought a 5s and have to wait until Christmas for a new one" statement from a previous poster. There are some people who upgrade only every 3 or 4 years. I usually upgrade every year and that itself is probably a bit extreme but 2 iPhones a year just isn't justifiable. Phone makers won't be able to come up with enough new idea's. I'd rather wait a full year for a product of a years development and even at that it usually isn't a vast improvement on last year.

People in the iPhone 4 - 5 - 6 upgrade cycle probably make the most sense but some of us can't help getting the latest one every year :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any more iphone 6 leak photos or a re people too busy with their pissing contest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm starting to think some of these leaks actually are real.

When the 5 was in development I refused to believe the leaks (mainly because it looked like crap) and it turned out be exactly what Apple were making. I guess even if they're not actual leaks, how different is the Apple version of a bigger iPhone going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I don't have the 5S 5 months, i have it 5 days so i don't know where you got that. But when i bought it
    it reminded me how i don't like the way Apple have gone in the last few years. Its (really) all about money
    with them now, where as before (to a degree) it was about delivering the best products to customers whenever
    they were ready, and now its about scheduling them to be ready every September just to give customers something
    new to spend their money on! From a business perspective its perfect great but not if you need a new iPhone in April
    and have to wait until September and another 2 months to get your hands on it. Its making sense for Apple and not
    the customer.

Not to say thats not what most other companies like Samsung are also doing now which was pointed out above. But
    it gave me a newfound respect for HTC bringing out new phones the M8 or whatever its called last week and not
    sticking to a strict timetable like the others.

I dont want anything groundbreaking, just a bigger screen and better battery life. My iPad Air battery lasts a week
    theres no way they cant get the iPhone to last at least two days!

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Expecting there to be two iPhones a year is crazy. I don't get the "I just bought a 5s and have to wait until Christmas for a new one" statement from a previous poster.

Nowhere in my post did i say that
    Aodhagan wrote: »
    I'd rather wait a full year for a product of a years development and even at that it usually isn't a vast improvement on last year.

Dont fool yourself, thats not why your waiting. Apple probably have iPhone 6, 7 and 8 outlined already but it wouldn't make
    sense for them to give us a remarkably drastic improvement as it would erode their profits for the interim years. Your waiting
    because you have no choice because Apple make the rules. ;)

Oh poor you, you bought the latest iPhone 5 days ago and expected them to have a new updated one in store ready for you. That's awful. I sure hope you don't have any real important things to be worrying about in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

nice analogy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm still hoping (in vain, I know) that Apple will put one of those 1960s FM radios in their iPhone. Forget fingerprint sensors, NFC, fitness monitors etc. - they could have me at "hello" if my radio experience didn't buffer 10 times on the way into work.

Now that would be progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jaysus I'm getting a 5s from work next week, am fully aware of the 6 possibly being launched in September, but still am like a child at Christmas with excitement.

Some people will never be happy and should really only buy their phones at opening on launch day, so they can get a few minutes of happiness, before getting depressed that the newer model is less than a year down the road.

Dades wrote: »
    I'm still hoping (in vain, I know) that Apple will put one of those 1960s FM radios in their iPhone. Forget fingerprint sensors, NFC, fitness monitors etc. - they could have me at "hello" if my radio experience didn't buffer 10 times on the way into work.

Now that would be progress.

In vain is right. I don't see that ever happening.

i see them adding sd card slots before an FM radio to be honest, so in reality neither of these will have a hope in happening.

anyways people's expectations are getting wildly out of hand. we need Jim Dalrymple to reset everyone's expectations like he did before WWDC 2013 he pretty much got everything right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

i see them adding sd card slots before an FM radio to be honest, so in reality neither of these will have a hope in happening.

anyways people's expectations are getting wildly out of hand. we need Jim Dalrymple to reset everyone's expectations like he did before WWDC 2013 he pretty much got everything right.

I think he already has

mad muffin wrote: »
    hah, I had missed that!

mad muffin wrote: »

I think that is brilliantly funny, terribly sad and probably true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I think that is brilliantly funny, terribly sad and probably true.

The fact that he's making fun of the whole leaked photo scene?

miralize wrote: »
    The fact that he's making fun of the whole leaked photo scene?

Perhaps it's possible to make fun of more than that from that drawing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

For all people's bitching about apple not including things like 4G and NFC earlier, they're not even worth adding at the until Apple put them in when they start to pick up. There's no point having a feature you can't get the use of.

NFC is non-existent at the minute, but I'd agree that if Apple were to add it it'd quickly start to come into use. They seem to be able to push standards into work like no other company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder if they will include NFC in the 6?

If Apple came on board with it, mobile payments / NFC use would take off properly I would think.

iBeacons and AirDrop is what Apple have.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I wonder if they will include NFC in the 6?

If Apple came on board with it, mobile payments / NFC use would take off properly I would think.

I don't think so. NFC to me seems like one of those Flash situations where they hope it'll just disappear. It's a good idea but they'd prefer outlets to use Apple's ecosystem of payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

iBeacons is a competitor in many ways to NFC. I dont think they'd waste time in NFC at this stage.

iBeacons is hugely superior to NFC.

NFC max range is less than 10 inches (narff narff), iBeacons is approximately 50m. There's a lot more control with beacons too. They are passive (i.e. user doesn't need to open up an app, just have the app installed). Also because beacons have superior range, you can track people/things more accurately and could in theory add mobile payments into them as well. When I say track you don't think evil tracking, think stuff like this:

The above is not possible with NFC. The above shows what Apple is all about. It's not about the technology, it's about making the best damn product/service/developer tools to enable developers to enrich peoples lives.

Apple want them to be more widespread first, then flick the switch "now you can use beacons and your iTunes account to pay for stuff, oh and they are in every single shopping mall already".

This is where Apple excel, they announce a particular tech, wait until (or if, they don't always get it right) it becomes popular (see if it gets traction) then delivers the killer blow 2-3 years later. where as with google is, here's NFC, you can do cool things like exchange a contact, exchange a photo through glass wall at an airport terminal; It's not as ubiquitous as other solutions (both have to have NFC, NFC not in lower end phones, then both have to have the same app on etc etc etc. the moment of sharing that photo to your hot [girl|boy]friend at the terminal is gone!

NFC is in the same category as radio as I posted earlier, there's more chance of SD card storage coming to iOS devices than NFC.

Slightly related to the above, but Apple's latest video hits the nail on the head.

Tim Cook wrote:
    But now, more than ever, we will work to leave the world better than we found it. and make the tools to inspire others to do the same.

He's not just talking about the environment here, it's everything that comes out of Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

iBeacons is hugely superior to NFC.

NFC max range is less than 10 inches (narff narff), iBeacons is approximately 50m. There's a lot more control with beacons too. They are passive (i.e. user doesn't need to open up an app, just have the app installed). Also because beacons have superior range, you can track people/things more accurately and could in theory add mobile payments into them as well. When I say track you don't think evil tracking, think stuff like this:

The above is not possible with NFC. The above shows what Apple is all about. It's not about the technology, it's about making the best damn product/service/developer tools to enable developers to enrich peoples lives.

Apple want them to be more widespread first, then flick the switch "now you can use beacons and your iTunes account to pay for stuff, oh and they are in every single shopping mall already".

This is where Apple excel, they announce a particular tech, wait until (or if, they don't always get it right) it becomes popular (see if it gets traction) then delivers the killer blow 2-3 years later. where as with google is, here's NFC, you can do cool things like exchange a contact, exchange a photo through glass wall at an airport terminal; It's not as ubiquitous as other solutions (both have to have NFC, NFC not in lower end phones, then both have to have the same app on etc etc etc. the moment of sharing that photo to your hot [girl|boy]friend at the terminal is gone!

NFC is in the same category as radio as I posted earlier, there's more chance of SD card storage coming to iOS devices than NFC.

Sounds interesting. NFC range works for it in terms of countering interception and operating in crowded areas.

• Advertisement

Advertisement