Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Saw those - daft looking thing.

Hardly lends itself operating with a case on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I have to say, I'm surprised so many people are asking for a bigger screen.
    I had the GS3 for a while and just switched to the 5S. I love the smaller size of the iPhone.
    It's a phone at the end of the day and of I want something with a bigger screen I use my tablet.
    I hope the don't make the phone bigger and would happily buy another iPhone if the size stayed the same.
    I thought the galaxy was too big from the moment I got it and would never buy the Note or newer galaxy's.

Regarding battery life, I've been using my phone for the past 5 hours quite a bit and have 66% battery left. That suits me. It's quick to charge and lasts longer than my galaxy did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I have to say, I'm surprised so many people are asking for a bigger screen.
    I had the GS3 for a while and just switched to the 5S. I love the smaller size of the iPhone.
    It's a phone at the end of the day and of I want something with a bigger screen I use my tablet.
    I hope the don't make the phone bigger and would happily buy another iPhone if the size stayed the same.
    I thought the galaxy was too big from the moment I got it and would never buy the Note or newer galaxy's.

Regarding battery life, I've been using my phone for the past 5 hours quite a bit and have 66% battery left. That suits me. It's quick to charge and lasts longer than my galaxy did.

I'm with you; I like a smaller screen device and it fits well in my small hands. A number of the rumours point to two devices; one being a bit bigger than the current one and the next one being considerably bigger.

Have a look at the graphic here: http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-6/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Hopefully they keep a 4". Not as last years model but with internals as good as the most recent model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I hope this isn't true

But more recently, a reliable analyst predicted a 1334x750 (326 PPI) screen for the 4.7" model and a 1920x1080 (401ppi) screen for the 5.5" model.

A 4.7inch screen would want to be at least 1080p.
    Can't see apple launching a so called android competitor matching size but not resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Blazer wrote: »
    I hope this isn't true

But more recently, a reliable analyst predicted a 1334x750 (326 PPI) screen for the 4.7" model and a 1920x1080 (401ppi) screen for the 5.5" model.

A 4.7inch screen would want to be at least 1080p.
    Can't see apple launching a so called android competitor matching size but not resolution.

Ha. Why? For the laser eyed among us that can see pixels at 326 PPI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Looking forward to getting the 6 in Sept.. Haven't had an iPhone since I sold my 4 (ios5) to buy my current phone ,nexus 5.

So I'll see a massive jump in tech from iPhone to iPhone, then in two years I'll sell that to buy the latest android phone.. continue ad infinitum.

No incremental upgrades for me!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Are Apple ever going to introduce a haptic touchscreen into their phones.

They have numerous patents in the area and a haptic touchscreen has been expected in the past. Seems to have disappeared lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Are Apple ever going to introduce a haptic touchscreen into their phones.

They have numerous patents in the area and a haptic touchscreen has been expected in the past. Seems to have disappeared lately.
    The missus has that on her s3 mini. Drives me nuts using it.

same here...I hated it on my android phones..it was the first thing I disabled...plus why waste battery on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That Samsung version only has the phone vibrate to indicate different features on the screen ?

What I'm on about is much more advanced technology. I believe one patent is for a system which by using static electricity, makes it feel like there are button on the screen and makes the screen feel like it is not quite flat.

EDIT: Looks like Fujitsu will be the first to get this technology to market.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/displays/66589-fujitsu-develops-realistic-haptic-sensory-touch-screen-tablet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

This is what I've feared - http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/28/apple-iphone-6-ipod-touch-comparison/

Don't want the iPhone to ever feel like an iPod touch. They don't feel sturdy enough. iPhone needs a certain level of heft that the current design gets just right in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Aodhagan wrote: »
    This is what I've feared - http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/28/apple-iphone-6-ipod-touch-comparison/

Don't want the iPhone to ever feel like an iPod touch. They don't feel sturdy enough. iPhone needs a certain level of heft that the current design gets just right in my opinion.
    I disagree. I think the 5S looks great and far better than it would if it had the 3GS form factor, but with the thinness, it's not that nice and confortable to hold. With a slim fit cover on mine it's great because it adds about 2-3mm of thickness which is surprisingly noticeable, but otherwise it's just a bit too thin to hold, IMO.

If they're making it thinner again you can bet they'll start to curve the back a bit.

I just hope the thinner chassis doesn't impact on the camera.

Zcott wrote: »
    I just hope the thinner chassis doesn't impact on the camera.

Or having a protuding camera...:(

Blazer wrote: »
    Or having a protuding camera...:(

That would be so ugly I can't ever imagine Jony Ive allowing it.

Zcott wrote: »
    That would be so ugly I can't ever imagine Jony Ive allowing it.

He allowed the iOS 7 icons :D

Not a chance they'd allow a protruding camera.

But you'd have to be concerned they were sacrificing better glass for unnecessary thinness. Not to mention that iPhones are always so bloody slippy, fragile and expensive that most people put cases on them anyway.

Dades wrote: »
    Not a chance they'd allow a protruding camera.

But you'd have to be concerned they were sacrificing better glass for unnecessary thinness. Not to mention that iPhones are always so bloody slippy, fragile and expensive that most people put cases on them anyway.

Yep, the 5 feels a little fragile as it is. Don't want it losing any heft.

Speaking of the camera!

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/29/iphone6-camera-eis-bigger-pixels/
    While previous reports have indicated that Apple is looking to integrate optical image stabilization into the iPhone 6, adding an electronic image stabilization system would allow for the device to have a slimmer camera that does not protrude out of its body.

• Advertisement

I imagine it's image stabilisation which would increase the quality of low light photos, which is where the iPhone camera is let down. Maybe a feature of the iPhone 6S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I have an iphone 5 ( biggest load of w ank )

I wont be upgrading to 6 unless i see big improvements , no point another 2 year contract , think apple have slowed right down on being innovative , 4/4s/5/s had f all really in diff except faster chip , but i don't notice the diff

Plus still same crap battery

I wont be upgrading to 6 unless i see big improvements , no point another 2 year contract , think apple have slowed right down on being innovative , 4/4s/5/s had f all really in diff except faster chip , but i don't notice the diff

Similar to it's competitors then, S2,S3,S4,S5 & HTC One X, HTC One, HTC One again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yeah, I don't get people's complaints about the iPhone not being innovative anymore. No phones are innovative anymore. All that should really be changing now is battery technology to get the most out of these devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No difference between the iPhone 4&5? Size, weight? Massive speed increase? You can't see the differences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

Innovation has slowed as there's only so much you can do with a phone at this point. Anything that will be added over the next couple of years will be incremental - that goes for all manufacturers.

Agree on the battery aspect. Advancements needed in that area.

Not sure if I'll wait for the 6. Might just pick up a 5s when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

A video of a hands on with an apparent dummy unit

http://bgr.com/2014/05/01/iphone-6-hands-on-video/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's looks plastic to me. Don't think I'd like it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yeah I'm not a fan of the rounded style that much. I'll still probably buy it as I want a larger screen and a fan of iOS' ecosystem in general but yeah it's not close to the response I had towards the iPhone 4. Still probably my favourite phone, despite its flaws.

Advertisement