Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guil wrote: »
    That's looks plastic to me. Don't think I'd like it tbh.

The mock up probably is tbh. A big part of what make iPhone iPhones is how they feel in the hand.

I'm also a little dubious about this design not because of how it looks but some are suggesting it's not unibody anymore. Apple would have to have a HUGE reason to stop doing unibody enclosures. Something like it being more durable or that it's cheaper model etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Reports of a possible August launch for the 4.7" iPhone 6. With a 5.5 to follow a month later.

http://www.cultofmac.com/278293/iphone-6-land-early-august/

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/05/09/4-7-iphone-6-launch-august-larger-model-september/

Which version would you get? I like the 5's form factor but like the look of the bigger android phones so maybe 4.7 could be the sweet spot. Have a Mini for the big screen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

4.7 for me. 5" is just too big for a phone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Personally think 5" is the sweet spot. 4.7 will probably be okay but think 5.5 is way too big.

Personally think 5" is the sweet spot. 4.7 will probably be okay but think 5.5 is way too big.

The 4.7" will probably the the same size as the 5" phones unless Apple changes the home button & reduces the bezels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd snap up a 4.7" straight away

godtabh wrote: »
    I'd snap up a 4.7" straight away

What if it has that ugly "Beats" logo on the back? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wont be beats for much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Apple beats?

Beats by apple??

Well we don't know for sure. In fact if I think it's more likely they will keep the name and branding. It's a very successful and reputable brand in the industry & I'm not sure what Apple would gain out of changing the branding of it.

What I think they will be using & changing, is the streaming service. They need to build a Spotify competitor. iTunes & iTunes Radio won't cut it in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes as they are Headphones they should try calling them iPhones..................oh hang on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Well this is odd.
    Apple is gearing up to incorporate Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in the iPhone 6, according to a report from BrightWire citing sources familiar with the matter. The report also notes that Apple has struck a deal with China UnionPay to integrate the banking company's services into Passbook and elsewhere.

From MacRumors.

Zcott wrote: »
    Well this is odd.

From MacRumors.

They must have some real world use for it then, otherwise it wouldn't be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Wonder are they putting it there to be used with Iwatch and forcing anyone that wants one to get the latest model.

guil wrote: »
    Wonder are they putting it there to be used with Iwatch and forcing anyone that wants one to get the latest model.

Yeah I was thinking it could be iWatch related. Like I said above, if it's there it's going to be something Apple can offer a use for straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I doubt NFC will be in the next it any other iPhone it Apple product. What benefit would NFC bring to the "iWatch". Low powered blue tooth would make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The thinking behind it could be that if someone wants an iWatch they have to buy the latest iPhone because no other iPhone has NFC.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Restricting potential purchasers of an iWatch to those who also have the new iPhone would never happen.

If that was the case Apple's own predicable, but clearly managed *new iPhone* stock shortages would hamper iWatch sales from the get go, never mind alienating all other iOS users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

samsung did it with the galaxy s4 and galaxy gear

samsung did it with the galaxy s4 and galaxy gear
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-gear-2-and-gear-fit-compatibility-list/#!M0cbU
    Upon release of the original Galaxy Gear smartwatch, Samsung made the mistake of not making it compatible with many devices, cutting down its audience considerably. The Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Fit went on sale last week, and it obviously has no wish to see the new range languish on store shelves in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iOS 8 is likely to supercharge the functionality of Apple’s iPad with a new split-screen multitasking feature, according to sources with knowledge of the enhancement in development. These people say that the feature will allow iPad users to run and interact with two iPad applications at once. Up until now, each iPad application either developed by Apple or available on the App Store is only usable individually in a full-screen view.

From 9to5Mac.

Seems like a good idea and it was only a matter of time before it happened. I'm assuming it hasn't happened yet due to horsepower and battery issues but now iPads are pretty powerful it shouldn't be an issue. Anyone thought of some good real world uses for it? I personally might use it to keep Twitter open when I'm actually working so I never get around to doing any work.

Well the lack of multitasking has been the big feature competitors have been pointing out and would be welcome if they can do it right.

iOS on iPad has a long way to go. It's ridiculous how it's just a blown up version of iPhone most of the time. It's something they criticised Android for a lot but they are no different now really. Make it different and take use of the iPads screen estate & it will be perfect. I think it's something that will come with 8 too. Or do they really need another year at it!?

I know the focus is on OS X this summer though. Which is also exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭squonk

Very sceptical about NFC claims. I've seen NFC as implemented on the Nexus 4 a friend of mine owns and it was complete cack. You practically had to hold the phone right next to bank cards etc. to get an ACK. If the NFC based payment infrastructure was developed enough I could see a case where they'd integrate it as a catchup but that's certainly not the case at the moment. Low power bluetooth makes far more sense for the iWatch than NFC. All recent ios devices have low power Blue tooth already integrated and, as the iOS device will take on the role of a data collector, BT makes far more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Just out of interest would many of you buy an iWatch? I know it will prob have some fitness aspects but can't see myself or even the most exercise conscious I know buying one really.

Most I know that use an iPhone find it expensive so can't see them justifying an iWatch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't buy this split screen thingy, it's a random concept (a nice one at that), but they seem to sell it as if something has leaked from Cupertino. Also this is the iPhone 6 News and Rumor thread /pedant.

Even if the iOS 8 split screen thing were true, I can't see it being compatible back beyond the iPad Air.

No interest in owning a smart watch, though am curious (but sceptical) to see if they come up with anything revolutionary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dades wrote: »
    Restricting potential purchasers of an iWatch to those who also have the new iPhone would never happen.
    It's Apple :)
    http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

A car stereo that's only available on brand new cars in selected ranges. Apple are definitely not beyond restricting their own markets when it suits them.

That said, I tend to agree that it would make no sense to release an iWatch to be absolutely restricted to the latest hardware. Apple usually go with N-1 compatibility. So if they release it now, it'll work with the 5 & 6. If they plan on using NFC in the iWatch, then they'll stick NFC in the iP6 and then wait for the iP6/C/S before release the iWatch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

seamus wrote: »
    It's Apple :)
    http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

A car stereo that's only available on brand new cars in selected ranges. Apple are definitely not beyond restricting their own markets when it suits them.

That said, I tend to agree that it would make no sense to release an iWatch to be absolutely restricted to the latest hardware. Apple usually go with N-1 compatibility. So if they release it now, it'll work with the 5 & 6. If they plan on using NFC in the iWatch, then they'll stick NFC in the iP6 and then wait for the iP6/C/S before release the iWatch too.
    the few at the minute and then a lot more to come on board also that link says that you will be able to add it aftermarket so no need for a Brand new car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dades wrote: »
    Even if the iOS 8 split screen thing were true, I can't see it being compatible back beyond the iPad Air.

No interest in owning a smart watch, though am curious (but sceptical) to see if they come up with anything revolutionary.

Even if it had an fm radio? :P

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Even if it had an fm radio? :P
    lol - I owned a watch with a radio in the 80s!

Not sure having earphones plugged in to your wrist is the way forward :D

Advertisement