Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Still not impressed by the form factor. I love the current style but I appreciate it's getting dated now. Liking the slight reduction in bezels though.

The sapphire glass screen would be incredible. Pretty much eliminates the need for Apple Care+ for me this year anyway.

32GB base model and a big battery (less likely) would top it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I prefer the rounded corners, to me the 3G iPhone was the best 'in-hand' feeling iPhone. the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 shapes just weren't as ergonomically sound, IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I prefer the rounded corners, to me the 3G iPhone was the best 'in-hand' feeling iPhone. the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 shapes just weren't as ergonomically sound, IMO of course.

It was very ugly in comparison to the other two, though.

i wouldn't say very ugly but aluminium will always feel better than plastic IMO.

Most people will have a case thrown over it anyway so only the front panel will really matter. I don't usually have a case but I will if the leaks of the backside of it prove to be accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I rarely use a case anymore. Its durable enough.

miralize wrote: »
    I rarely use a case anymore. Its durable enough.

The only thing I ever find on mine is that the Apple logo scratches very easily. The rest of the phone has only very minor marks that you only see on close inspection.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

With three kids at home I'll be throwing a case on mine.

Have to keep one eye on the resale value so I can buy the iPhone 7! Sure, that sapphire glass looks awesome but a chipped and scratched body won't get top dollar 24 months down the line.

The back and sides of the 5/5S scratches like it was made from grey cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I've an iPhone 5 from work for the last year, so I'm not exactly careful with it. Back and front are pretty comprehensively scratched, but they're the really tiny superficial scratches, the kind you see on CDs. So it polishes up pretty well and you don't even notice the scratches when the screen is on. The edges are in bits, pockmarks everywhere, especially at the top and bottom and corners, and the silver poking through all along the straight edge.

Seems to me like having straight edges makes them much more susceptible to wear (which makes sense), so a rounded case will likely be more durable.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Most people will have a case thrown over it anyway so only the front panel will really matter. I don't usually have a case but I will if the leaks of the backside of it prove to be accurate.

I never used a case, I always hated them. I have one on my 5S currently, but that's only to keep it clean and in good condition because I always planned on selling it once the 6 came out.

Once I have my 6 there'll be no cover because I'll have it until it breaks. I just hope it won't look as ugly in real life as the design of the mock ups now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Could be a joke or someone's getting the sack over it. Either way it looks in line with what has been seen so far.

http://www.t3.com/news/amazon-japan-lists-iphone-6-specs-revealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Interesting that it only mentions 64gb. Would vaguely tie in with the rumour that they're ditching 16gb but I hadn't expected them to drop 32gb.

They're using the Macrumors mock up with Macrumors icon on the home screen as the product image.

Lol. Also saying it's the gold phone yet it's a space grey product image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wouldn't say it's real.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not a kechancki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably just someone in Amazon.jp preloading the item into their inventory and using placeholder images and details. But they accidentally set the product as live in the store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Has anyone heard will the iPhone be IPXX rated? They'd really want to make it waterproof to match up with S5 and Z2.

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard will the iPhone be IPXX rated? They'd really want to make it waterproof to match up with S5 and Z2.

Why would they need to do that?

The waterproof feature is a gimmick. Having a little flap to cover the charging port is ugly. Apple don't do ugly.

Apple may copy features from android but one thing they don't copy is hardware design.

Why would they need to do that?

The waterproof feature is a gimmick. Having a little flap to cover the charging port is ugly. Apple don't do ugly.

Apple may copy features from android but one thing they don't copy is hardware design.

How is water protection a gimmick on a high end phone? I'd rather a port flap than a broken phone.

• Advertisement

How is water protection a gimmick on a high end phone? I'd rather a port flap than a broken phone.

It's not a gimmick, but it interferes with the user experience which would make it cumbersome every time you'd want to charge it.

Considering the % of people who drop their phones in water wouldn't be anywhere near as high in comparison to people dropping them, etc. It wouldn't be worth the added annoyance.

I'd like it to be waterproof. But I've never dropped any of my phones in water and I'd rather handy and quick charging in the middle of the the night than fiddling with flaps, on the off chance I drop it in water.

I'm guessing that's a big reason why Apple won't go for it. They made a big deal of the lightning cable being reversible, so there's no fiddling, you just stick it in, and this would negate that.

then design waterproof ports. if a jack can't be waterproof why can't a charge port? they've shown very little innovation recently so this is something to shine on.

_Redzer_ wrote:
    Considering the % of people who drop their phones in water wouldn't be anywhere near as high in comparison to people dropping them, etc. It wouldn't be worth the added annoyance.

and even though I've dropped only 2 phones in about 5 years into water knowing my z2 is waterproof is more reassuring than knowing my 4s wasn't.

I've owned a phone for the guts of 20 years and have owned 10 (4 of them iphone/htc) phones in that time period.

0 lost to water damage.
    1 lost/stolen.

People are really careless with their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've owned a phone for the guts of 20 years and have owned 10 (4 of them iphone/htc) phones in that time period.

0 lost to water damage.
    1 lost/stolen.

People are really careless with their phones.

Totally agree. I've taken my iphones to various music festivals, and other situations where people seem to go through phones at a serious rate. Never lost one, never had water damage, and never had a screen break on me.

I'm still baffled by how people drop phones into a toilet :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The biggest problem with modern phones is the flimsy screens. I find they pop very very easily...so I'd rather they did something with that than give me a dust proof or water proof phone.

FearDark wrote: »
    The biggest problem with modern phones is the flimsy screens. I find they pop very very easily...so I'd rather they did something with that than give me a dust proof or water proof phone.

Sapphire crystal should be up your street, then ;)

Wireless charging. They won't need a flap.

Again I don't see the appeal. few guys in work have them for their nexus phones.

If anything they seem quite finnicky and any slight movement stops the charged.

I also find this hilarious see attached image.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but I couldn't keep my phone in my hand and use it like I can now with wireless charging. It always has to be on the charging pad.

Feck that.

So many things people think are "innovative" are actually impractical. NFC hasn't taken off yet, even though I've been hearing about how innovative it is for years. I don't disagree that it's innovative, but it's useless until there's a practical use for it - much the same as wireless charging.

There's no point having features that don't work properly. Better late and it done well than done half-assed, because it'd only frustrate you otherwise.

Advertisement