Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Again I don't see the appeal. few guys in work have them for their nexus phones.

If anything they seem quite finnicky and any slight movement stops the charged.

I also find this hilarious see attached image.

I just think it would be a nice feature if it was waterproof. Like accidents happen so what would the harm in having it waterproof in the case you do drop it?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Yeah, but I couldn't keep my phone in my hand and use it like I can now with wireless charging. It always has to be on the charging pad.

Feck that.

So many things people think are "innovative" are actually impractical. NFC hasn't taken off yet, even though I've been hearing about how innovative it is for years. I don't disagree that it's innovative, but it's useless until there's a practical use for it - much the same as wireless charging.

There's no point having features that don't work properly. Better late and it done well than done half-assed, because it'd only frustrate you otherwise.

NFC is apparently used in the US for contactless card payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    NFC is apparently used in the US for contactless card payments

And in the UK too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The "wireless" charging seems as much hassle as using the lightning connector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

At least with "wireless" charging, the connector won't break on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Zcott wrote: »
    And in the UK too.

The US won't have contactless cards until October 2015. Ireland and uk have NFC already. The US is a huge market for apple so it probably won't come until them.

I honestly don't see the need to have payments on the phone. I rarely actually buy anything in a store. And use my contactless card maybe once a week sure it's a little bit more convienant but the problem is cashiers not knowing it's a NFC card and it negates the purpose of NFC. God help me trying to explain to them my iPhone can be used to pay for something.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Sapphire crystal should be up your street, then ;)

Not so sure, by all accounts the problem with sapphire is that it's incredibly scratch and impact resistant front in but more likely to shatter with a fall on a corner that gorilla glass. So will be interesting to see how they solve that.

Edit - although today's video tests seem to indicate that the display previously tested isn't sapphire but possibly some kind if laminate mix of materials to try and get best of both worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

At least with "wireless" charging, the connector won't break on a regular basis.

Is the lightning cable prone to breaking?! They look a lot sturder than the mini/micro usb ****e..

miralize wrote: »
    Is the lightning cable prone to breaking?! They look a lot sturder than the mini/micro usb ****e..

Well I know they're a vast improvement from the old style connector. I'm currently suffering away with my 4S, charging it is a struggle every day :pac:

That said, I already know of at least 2 people with lightning cables taped up just below the base of the connector, same failure point as the earlier cables...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I've had numerous lightning and 30pin cables over the years and never had any of them break on me. If your not clumsy/aggressive they don't break.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    I've had numerous lightning and 30pin cables over the years and never had any of them break on me. If your not clumsy/aggressive they don't break.

See the post above yours... I highly doubt all those people are clumsy or aggressive :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

miralize wrote: »

They're over engineered junk. My wife is on her third cable now. Having said, we both had plenty of issues with the old 30 pins over the years. At least they were cheap. I've yet to have a problem with a micro usb cable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If Apple didn't want to ruin the aesthetics of the phone itself, they could create a custom case to assist in waterproofing the phone.

That way their marketing material could still have a shiny fragile device and they could also make a few quid selling a case that waterproofed the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I went through 6 lightening chargers in under a year.
    In the previous 5 years, I'd never had to replace a charger cable.
    Switched to an amazon basics lightening charger a few months back, they're perfect and half the price.

Apple need to sort out the lightening charger issue.
    Every person I know has theirs taped up or buys new ones fairly often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

In all my years using iPhones and iPads I've never had any problem with the 30 pin or lightning cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

mad muffin wrote: »
    In all my years using iPhones and iPads I've never had any problem with the 30 pin or lightning cable.

The only bother I've had is when the cat chewed through the lightning cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The only problem I have ever had is the cable going bare right at the connection to 30 pin which is a common problem and even at that it has only happened with the 30 pin for me. Barr that I've had no hassles at all. A few times there have been connection problems between the cable and phone but everytime it's been a little bit of fluff or dirt in the phone port that was easily removed to sort it.

What apple should do is just make a micro USB cable as a charger like everyone else has. It's getting pretty ridiculous now, everyone's in this wonderful time where one cable charges and syncs everything and apple are holding back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    What apple should do is just make a micro USB cable as a charger like everyone else has. It's getting pretty ridiculous now, everyone's in this wonderful time where one cable charges and syncs everything and apple are holding back.

Although it would be great to have one universal cable, the lightning cable is superior to the micro usb. So I hope Apple stick with it, never had any issues with the cable myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SNiK

The pending USB 3.1 will be far superior to lightening and even provide better throughput than thunderbolt.

Apple will need to progress on this front if they're to ignore USB in the future.

I personally couldn't care less about which kind of port they use. Never been an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DubDJ wrote: »
    Although it would be great to have one universal cable, the lightning cable is superior to the micro usb. So I hope Apple stick with it, never had any issues with the cable myself.

and a stronger port too...I find micros SD ports very flimsy.

SNiK wrote: »
    The pending USB 3.1 will be far superior to lightening and even provide better throughput than thunderbolt.

The fact it has taken USB 3 major revisions to get a reversible connector is laughable. It also wasn't going to be that way until the lightning connector was announced lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SNiK

The fact it has taken USB 3 major revisions to get a reversible connector is laughable. It also wasn't going to be that way until the lightning connector was announced lol.

I don't find anything about that remotely funny. It's a connector is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

SNiK wrote: »

Apple will need to progress on this front if they're to ignore USB in the future.

I personally couldn't care less about which kind of port they use. Never been an issue for me.

It will take some time for it to be ready and implemented on devices though, but I'm looking forward to see how it fairs against the lightning cable. I'm sure Apple will be one if the first to use it in their Mac lineup especially with the space it will save on the side for ports. Glad to see it's not only reversible but seems to be double sided too so hopefully it takes over as the one only usb connections.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's cool. Always thought the Macbook one was a neat idea.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    That's cool. Always thought the Macbook one was a neat idea.
    it is, the amount of smashed laptops it has saved me is unreal.

Advertisement