Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I want the same screen size. It is perfect as it is - I hope to god they don't make it bigger. If Apple save space then they should increase the battery size and not reduce the thickness. I would also like a better mute switch. It is better than the old style but still not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Dades wrote: »
    I'd expect an autumn release of a iP6 with a slightly bigger screen. Closer to 4.3 than 4.7. Hopefully wider rather than taller.

I'm hoping they leave the MP alone and focus on the sensor/glass/software - unless they plan on bumping the default storage up to 32GB.

And an FM radio. :D

Actually upon looking it up I'd be delighted with a 4.3 screen, I never realised that was the Galaxy S2 screen, I always said this screen size in an iPhone would be awesome :D I think there's talk they are talking camera components with Sony so you may get your wish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'd expect an autumn release of a iP6 with a slightly bigger screen. Closer to 4.3 than 4.7. Hopefully wider rather than taller.

I'm hoping they leave the MP alone and focus on the sensor/glass/software - unless they plan on bumping the default storage up to 32GB.

And an FM radio. :D

Just a .3 bump up from the 5/5s? I think it will be more significant tbh. 4.7" seems to be the magic number.

Not sure what to make of the two iPhone rumour? One being 4.7 and the other being a phablet competitor coming in at 5.5". Could be interesting to see if that happens to compete with the Galaxy Note. I definitely wouldn't be interested in anything over the 5" mark anyway. With 4.7" being my desired sweet spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

I have to say I'm extremely happy with the battery life in my Moto G.

Stock Android ftw.

Not all Android phones are that much of a hog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 FortuneWookiee

All things considered, the best battery life I've had on Android was with the GS3 and N4.

But the 4s and 5 was always excellent for me too. 4s beat them all hands down.

I'm hoping it's not going to be too much bigger than it it currently is. The UI is not designed for large screens - rows and rows of icons (or even just larger icons) would look hideous on a 4.7"/5" iPhone screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The UI isn't made for big screens?

Sure the row of icons is getting a little stale but to say the UI isn't made for big screens couldn't be further from the truth. iOS was always about being screen size independent. And in iOS 6 apple made it easy with auto layout to help devs make their apps resolution independent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've the Nexus 4. I'll be going back to an iPhone when it comes out if it has a 4.7-5 inch screen. Couldnt go back to a smaller screen but dont want to be stuck with android.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Just a .3 bump up from the 5/5s? I think it will be more significant tbh. 4.7" seems to be the magic number.

Not sure what to make of the two iPhone rumour? One being 4.7 and the other being a phablet competitor coming in at 5.5". Could be interesting to see if that happens to compete with the Galaxy Note. I definitely wouldn't be interested in anything over the 5" mark anyway. With 4.7" being my desired sweet spot.
    I'd be very happy with 4.7 - it's just Apple made such a big deal about people with teeny-tiny hands last year they'd need to do some serious back-tracking this year!

Here's a good graphic for comparison:

smartphone-comparison-2013-2-6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 FortuneWookiee

The UI isn't made for big screens?

Sure the row of icons is getting a little stale but to say the UI isn't made for big screens couldn't be further from the truth. iOS was always about being screen size independent. And in iOS 6 apple made it easy with auto layout to help devs make their apps resolution independent.

Wrong choice of words. I meant in relation to how it looks.

Always thought the iPad looked a bit silly - apple icon layout on large screen.

it's silly to you and me granted.

but i ask you to actually watch an old generation (someone like my dad who's mid 60's) use an IPad. The amount of times he's mistakingly hit the wrong app is quite apparent, if they tightened it up or something it possibly would cause issues.

that being said, it's apple we're talking about here, it's why we pay a premium for their products, let them come up with the solutions to the hard problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I had a HTC One and sold it to get the iPhone 5s solely just for the size. If there going to make it bigger they should have size options.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I had a HTC One and sold it to get the iPhone 5s solely just for the size. If there going to make it bigger they should have size options.
    What specifically bothered you?

Fitting it in a pocket, or not being able to operate it one-handed? Devs might around to rethinking some of their apps so that the common controls are not in the far corners.

Fitting it in a pocket, or not being able to operate it one-handed? Devs might around to rethinking some of their apps so that the common controls are not in the far corners.

The main reason is I don't like the general appeal of a large phone. I don't see the need for a larger screen. If I want to watch youtube videos or movies etc. ill use a laptop or a tablet. I think the screen size is grand for general phone uses, web browsing and apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

A friend of mine just bought the Sony Xperia Z Ultra, which is actually too big. He had a Note II before that so there's clearly a market for these ridiculously big phones but I don't see Apple going down that route, or the Samsung approach of 'whatever size you want'. Maybe the 6 will be slightly bigger but really what I want to see is edge to edge screen with no bezel.

the only market is that they are made out of cheaper materials and therefore easier for the carrier to sell cheaper. people love cheap phones and therefore creates the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The Galaxy S5 will be an example of a phone being too big.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

how do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I have a HTC One and an iPhone 5 - keep going back to the iPhone 5 as it's just easier to use one handed.

Every so often i look at the HTC and have to move back to it as it's just a beautiful phone - but just keep going back.

Also, the power button and volume rockers are a bit difficult to find - could do with being raised just a fraction more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm in the same boat. Had the HTC one & iPhone 5. Sold the One after 4-5 months, kept going back to the iPhone, but... I think if Apple could bring its design sensibilities (like actual buttons and proper placement of said buttons) to a 4.3" - 4.7" display I think it might be great.

Samsung bashing iPhone screen size.... Ah here no need for that now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ah yes, buy a phone to watch TV. And the amount of times I've wanted to edit a picture on a phone.....:rolleyes:

Pointless indeed... Next thing they'll be offering Microsoft office for mobiles... oh wait

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This was the year I was going to but my first iPhone! I suppose I better hold tough and not shell out any cash just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

smartphone-comparison-2013-2-6.jpg

A ripoff of the moto X screen size would be just the ticket. Perfect IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

This was the year I was going to but my first iPhone! I suppose I better hold tough and not shell out any cash just yet

Oh definitely man, wait until September anyway and see what the 6 is like, if you don't like it you could simply buy a 5s second hand then and save money cause lots of people sell their old one when upgrading.

brought to you by the same company that signed off and actually thought this would make a good ad.

Samsung have about as much style are mr. motivator does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The S4 is already too big for my liking!
    My brpther who is a droid has not upgraded from the S3 because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

kceire wrote: »

Have you got small fingers /female hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Big screen is the beez neez, I've a 5.2 inch screen and it's awesome.

You need your big screen for YouTube videos, personal videos, your pictures, games, watching TV.
    When I'm using the girlfriends iPhone 5 I find myself squinting at the small screen and tiny text.
    It suits her as she has small little hands and can't operate a bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

kceire wrote: »

I thought the S4 was too big too and I have and S3 but when I held and S3 and S4 together recently and there is no noticeable difference between them in the hand at all and even when looking at them side by side. The S4 has a bigger screen and smaller bezel making it the same size as an S3 only slightly thicker.

Any bigger than the S3 and S4 is too big imo. I can use them single handed even with pick to zoom but don't want anything bigger.

Advertisement