Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm torn.
    I dont actually want a bigger phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

kceire wrote: »
    I'm torn.

Apparently 4.7" is a great size for a phone. A lot of tech pundits seem to like phones that size.

I think I could probably handle a slightly bigger phone in my tiny girl-like hands but I wouldn't go for the 5.5" phone. I think I'd like to try one for a while first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

kceire wrote: »
    I'm torn.

You'll get so used to it, you won't ever be able to back. I bet you're like that with the 3.5" screens -I know I am, anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I had a 4.7 inch screen and really liked it. Recently sent it back as android was just wrecking my head and back with an iPhone 4s. I know which screen I'd prefer! Matching it with iOS will be sweet.

I may consider the 5.5" but it will depend on the price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I love using the iphone 5s one-handed but I'm torn wanting a bigger screen..even a 4.3 would suit me but I'll prob go for the 4.7" over the 5.5.
    Roll on launch day :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Blazer wrote: »
    I love using the iphone 5s one-handed but I'm torn wanting a bigger screen..even a 4.3 would suit me but I'll prob go for the 4.7" over the 5.5.
    Roll on launch day :)

When is it again?

godtabh wrote: »
    When is it again?

Announced on the 9th September. My launch day iPhone 5 receipt reads 5th October 2012, so I'd say in or around that for the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Looks like the 2 different size models is a definite then - 5.5 and 4.7.
    Both models to have the "protruding" camera lens.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/22/iphone-6-leak-foxconn-dimensions/

i really don't think Apple will do a protruding lens :eek:
    please let these be fake!
    it would be a godawful design mistake if they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

ukoda wrote: »
    i really don't think Apple will do a protruding lens :eek:
    please let these be fake!
    it would be a godawful design mistake if they do

They did it with the iPod Touch, no reason why they couldn't do it with the iPhone.

I really hope there's a good technical reason for the lens to protrude. It would have made a bit more sense to have it flush with the phone and increase the battery thickness by that extra mm, but I'm sure Apple will have thought that through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm not bothered about the lens protruding, but I would of liked it flush just to have the extra battery life. I'd reckon the only reason they decided on the lens is because of their never ending quest to make the thinnest device out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

Lense wouldn't bother me that much as I generally use a case on the phone so as long as it doesn't effect that I'll be happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

brophs wrote: »
    Seems odd that they'd have any protrusions, as the aim now seems to be to make the devices as slim and sleek as possible.
    It's probably a balance between the device being thinner than anything else on the market, but maintaining the quality of the lens.

Optics is a complicated topic, but basically there's a reason why you see professional photographers with comically long lenses, and it's not all about being able to zoom.
    I'm sure they could have used a smaller camera to sit flush, but probably would have had to degrade the quality of the photos. And in a world where half of the population appears to be documenting every minute of their lives in photographs, having a poor camera could kill the phone, regardless of what else it can do.

The high-end cases will probably look at just filling in that little gap and making the camera nice and flush again.

Also, 0.77mm is tiny. It'll stick out about as much as the lock button does.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    They did it with the iPod Touch, no reason why they couldn't do it with the iPhone.

yeah thats true, plus most of the competitors have this approach too :(

seamus wrote: »
    And in a world where half of the population appears to be documenting every minute of their lives in photographs, having a poor camera could kill the phone, regardless of what else it can do.

According to Alex Lindsay on this week's MacBreak Weekly, photos are the number one thing people do on their phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

https://www.flickr.com/cameras

Shocker to see iPhone trumping every other camera on flickr.

"the best camera is the one you have with you" - Jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I love even the small improvements they make on the iPhone camera, it's one of the best smartphone cameras I've used. Only time it suffers is in lowlight but that's to be expected. I'm looking forward to having timelapse part of the stock camera app too.

I was only thinking the other day would there ever be a possibility of Apple designing some type of smart camera as a stand alone device. It's one feature that seems to stand out against the competition. Would make sense for them to take that and translate it into a standalone product. Then again I can't see Apple doing something like this nowadays anyway.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I love even the small improvements they make on the iPhone camera, it's one of the best smartphone cameras I've used. Only time it suffers is in lowlight but that's to be expected. I'm looking forward to having timelapse part of the stock camera app too.

I was only thinking the other day would there ever be a possibility of Apple designing some type of smart camera as a stand alone device. It's one feature that seems to stand out against the competition. Would make sense for them to take that and translate it into a standalone product. Then again I can't see Apple doing something like this nowadays anyway.

Samsung tried this with the Galaxy Camera and it doesn't seem to have sold so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's official. The 9th it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement

Omg if you turn the two 9's 180 degrees clockwise, you get two 6's.

Two models of iPhone 6 confirmed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

"Wish we could say more" sounds like a nod to expanding Siri's capabilities

"Wish we could say more" sounds like a nod to expanding Siri's capabilities

a definite possibility id say, and also as the rumoured iWatch will be mostly voice controlled apparently

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/28/apple-flint-center-structure-iphone-6/

Seating capacity of common apple event venues.

 Campus Town Hall: 301
    Yerba Buena Center: 757
    Flint Center: 2,405

Last event to take place in the Flint Center; original Mac.

"Earlier this year, Apple iTunes chief Eddy Cue said that Apple's got the "best product pipeline" he'd seen in his 25 years at the company in the works, and Tim Cook promised "really great stuff" in new product categories."

All these pieces are leading up to something. This is going to be big.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A new product category is always going to be a big deal. Although it remains to be seen whether the iWatch will succeed in being more than an expensive iPhone accessory for tracking health and fitness. Siri is definitely the key. Note how little it has advanced since it was announced. Apple has been holding back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The prominence of the date on the invite is interesting to me.

A new product category is always going to be a big deal. Although it remains to be seen whether the iWatch will succeed in being more than an expensive iPhone accessory for tracking health and fitness. Siri is definitely the key. Note how little it has advanced since it was announced. Apple has been holding back.

I'm waiting to see how the health kit interacts with current bands or what is released to compliment it. I was about to buy a Jawbone Up24 and may still but I'm reluctant so close to the iOS8 release with Heath kit.

An up24 has been on my radar too. I'll wait until after the event and buy one if there's no I watch announced.

Can't wait to be in Cupertino on the 9th :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

An up24 has been on my radar too. I'll wait until after the event and buy one if there's no I watch announced.

Can't wait to be in Cupertino on the 9th :).

I'd avoid the Up bands to be honest. My third Up band since Christmas has just failed, waiting on a 4th. My brother is also on his third. They're otherwise great, but have huge reliability issues.

• Advertisement

Is it an up or an up24? I was aware or huge reliability issues with the up but everything I've read about the up24 has been great.

Advertisement