Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It looks like a Samsung only in that it has a big screen.

Anyway. It looks like the big screen might be more expensive. I doubt if either will sell a 16G option. Hope not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was there price increases between the different size screens in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

godtabh wrote: »
    Was there price increases between the different size screens in the past?

No but there has never been 3 screen size variants before. Anything could happen from a price perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd be hoping that the 4.7 inch has the same price point as the 5s. I can understand the 5.5 being a bit more but not a whole lot either (look at the Note 3 vs S4 prices - there was little in it).

I alternate between Android and iOS and the quality of Android offerings (as well as Windows) has really been noticeable in recent years, especially the budget ones. If they mess up the prices it's going to hurt them in a major way given the cheaper and equally as good alternatives, possibly not to iOS fans but to the segment where a phone is just a phone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

miralize wrote: »
    No but there has never been 3 screen size variants before. Anything could happen from a price perspective

Are you assuming an iPhone 5s, 6c and 6s?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Are you assuming an iPhone 5s, 6c and 6s?

I find it hard to imagine that Apple is going to abandon the 5s. I think 5s will get a minor spec bump with 50 bucks off, with the 4.7" $50 more than the flagship is currently priced at, and the 5.5" starting at $150 more than the current flagship cost.

I find it hard to imagine that Apple is going to abandon the 5s. I think 5s will get a minor spec bump with 50 bucks off, with the 4.7" $50 more than the flagship is currently priced at, and the 5.5" starting at $150 more than the current flagship cost.

They will sell

4.7" iPhone 6
    5.5" iPhone 6
    5S
    5C

And the 4S in some markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I reckon the 4.7" will be priced at the current 5S price. They bumped the price of the 5S over the 5 to - I'm guessing - use the same price for the 6 as a selling point, effectively overpricing the 5S. And $100 extra for the 5.5".

They will sell

4.7" iPhone 6
    5.5" iPhone 6
    5S
    5C

And the 4S in some markets.

5c has gained some traction, but its still a failure. Apple wont be afraid to cannabalise it for simplicity in their offerings. One you start offering 5 phones people start getting indecisive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

More likely;

iPhone 6 - 5.5"
    iPhone 6 - 4.7"
    iPhone 5S - 4"

This is similar to the three phone tiers they've had for the past few years. Also means there's a size for everybody no matter what their preference.

Hopefully a really great looking iWatch to go alongside these phones :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

5c has gained some traction, but its still a failure. Apple wont be afraid to cannabalise it for simplicity in their offerings. One you start offering 5 phones people start getting indecisive.

A failure?

The iPhone 5C has outsold the Samsung galaxy s4 and flagship Windows phones. in the US alone in the last three months in 2013. Since then it is the THIRD most popular sold phone in terms of numbers.

In other words the iPhone 5s and 5c are both in the worlds top 3 in volume.

unless you are coming from another Angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Had a quick glance through previous pages but couldn't find a launch date. Any idea when the announcement is, and when we can expect to see these in Ireland.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

slookie wrote: »
    Had a quick glance through previous pages but couldn't find a launch date. Any idea when the announcement is, and when we can expect to see these in Ireland.?

Going by previous years. Tier 1 countries should get it on the 19th.

Tier 2, which Ireland is in, should get it from between two weeks to four weeks after tier 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

flexcon wrote: »
    A failure?

The iPhone 5C has outsold the Samsung galaxy s4 and flagship Windows phones. in the US alone in the last three months in 2013. Since then it is the THIRD most popular sold phone in terms of numbers.

In other words the iPhone 5s and 5c are both in the worlds top 3 in volume.

unless you are coming from another Angle?

While that might be true, Cook himself has said he was expecting higher sales for the 5c and the fact Apple don't actually provide individual device sales numbers for the various iPhone models it's difficult to tell how many they've sold. But it's done a lot worse than expected which in that context would count as a failed product for Apple, who usually beat even Analyst predictions for sales numbers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the 5c was misunderstood. Everyone assumed it was going to be a cheap iPhone, when it’s looking to me like it was part of a long-term plan to expand the iPhone line-up, releasing larger screen iPhones while retaining the 4-inch size. 4.7-inches is going to be too big for a lot of people. Apple can’t suddenly start ignoring this market. Next year I expect we’ll see a 4-inch 6c in a similar range of colours as the 5c.

I think the 5c was misunderstood. Everyone assumed it was going to be a cheap iPhone, when it’s looking to me like it was part of a long-term plan to expand the iPhone line-up, releasing larger screen iPhones while retaining the 4-inch size. 4.7-inches is going to be too big for a lot of people. Apple can’t suddenly start ignoring this market. Next year I expect we’ll see a 4-inch 6c in a similar range of colours as the 5c.

Yes. In fact I think it is working its way down the price points over time to be the cheap model in poor countries - replacing the 4S this year. It may be called the 6C if it gets an update but it will be the cheap model and probably not available everywhere.

DubDJ wrote: »
    More likely;

iPhone 6 - 5.5"
    iPhone 6 - 4.7"
    iPhone 5S - 4"

This is similar to the three phone tiers they've had for the past few years. Also means there's a size for everybody no matter what their preference.

Hopefully a really great looking iWatch to go alongside these phones :D

The problem with that analysis is it doesn't take into account that Apple released two phones last year and will release two this year. You are breaking either the "only 3 models" rule or the "this year and last (or last two) years rule". They have dropped the 5 but are selling the 4S - which I think will be relegated to India and maybe China. In the west the 3 normal prices offerings will be the 5C, 5S and 6 4.7". This keeps the price structure. They can then add a more expensive 5.5. That's the new offering. If they don't have 4 models then prices will rise across the board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I'm annoyed that it looks like the 5.5" is gonna be the flagship phone, while the 4.7" lags behind in the screen resultion, camera and sapphire -allegedly.
    I don't buy that.

A flagship product should be a version of the most popular product. A phablet is an edge product - not a device for casual smartphone users. Having the best camera in the device least likely to be pulled out in a bar, ballgame or playground makes no sense (unless it could fit the tech better because it was fatter).

There's a reason iPhone images are #1 on Flickr. I don't think Apple would compromise that dominance by giving preference to phablet users, and giving ground to other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

mad muffin wrote: »
    Going by previous years. Tier 1 countries should get it on the 19th.

Tier 2, which Ireland is in, should get it from between two weeks to four weeks after tier 1.

19th September? Is this the announcement date or release date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

slookie wrote: »
    19th September? Is this the announcement date or release date?

Announced on the 9th. Released on the 19th.

This is going by previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I bought my 5 on launch day in the UK. 21st September 2012. Think they time it for a Friday for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I think as far back as the 4 was always launched on a Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

So Friday the 5th or Friday the 12th then? What ya recon?

Friday the 19th for me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

So why the rumour of the 9th then... So disappointed, broke my piggybank and all...

But seriously, cant wait :)

9th is the confirmed date of the event. Devices are sold to Tier 1 countries 10 days after the event. Tier 2 (Ireland) follows 2 weeks after that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

maroon wrote: »
    So why the rumour of the 9th then... So disappointed, broke my piggybank and all...

But seriously, cant wait :)

No rumour for the 9th. That's the Showcase event where they tell you what's coming, and when.

It will most likely be 19th or 26th September in UK, and a week or so late in Ireland for pre order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yep. Last year was announced on the Tuesday & released on the Friday the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So is the base model still going to be 16gb? They really need to come up to 32gb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

So is the base model still going to be 16gb? They really need to come up to 32gb.

If the 4.7" version doesn't have the same camera or sapphire, I wouldn't buy it, myself.

It should have 2GB of RAM too. Safari tabs have to reload far too often

I'll wait it out till iPhone 7. I'm sure the RAM and base memory will be upped a fair bit by then.

Advertisement