Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

godtabh wrote: »
    three launched the iphone 5s at €129 upfront and €55 a month for 2 years. Thats a cost of €1449 add in another €120 for 4g

For the €40 (€45 with 4g) plan over 2 years and €179 upfront you are talking €1259

For an 18 month contract you are talking €350 upfront, €45 a month for 18 months bringing the cost up to €1159

If the base model costs €700 and on my current plan (plus 4g) the total cost would be €1300 over 24 months €1150 over 18 months

Unless I am doing my sums wrong it doesn't make sense to buy sim free

Yea wouldn't be far off there,

If i was to stick with my prepay at €20 a month with three(Unlimited data/free w/e calls/ free 3 to 3) lets say 24 months (€480) then add base €700 totalling €1180.

It just down to peoples different preferences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Yea wouldn't be far off there,

If i was to stick with my prepay at €20 a month with three(Unlimited data/free w/e calls/ free 3 to 3) lets say 24 months (€480) then add base €700 totalling €1180.

It just down to peoples different preferences.

I'd be ok paying €25 a month for a 4g plan. I have the money for a sim free phone (almost!) but I'm still not sure if I could justify paying it all up front.

either way you still end up paying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Buying sim free affords you certain things.

- Keep your current plan
    - No dealing with phone operators when you run into issues
    - SIM free
    - Which also means that when it does come time to selling, it is easier and more worthwhile to offload.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd be ok paying €25 a month for a 4g plan. I have the money for a sim free phone (almost!) but I'm still not sure if I could justify paying it all up front.

either way you still end up paying

I got a sim free iPhone 5s because eMobile were looking stupid money to upgrade. Was it €329 on 24 month contract?:confused: bought it for €700, then moved over to 4G unlimited calls, texts and 5GB data for €24/month. 30 day contract, so if something better comes along I can jump.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

miralize wrote: »
    Buying sim free affords you certain things.

- Keep your current plan
    - No dealing with phone operators when you run into issues
    - SIM free
    - Which also means that when it does come time to selling, it is easier and more worthwhile to offload.
    Keeping your own plan and being SIM free are benefits no doubt (though networks will unlock your phone after your contract expires.)

Nobody should ever have to deal with networks however. I've had several handsets replaced by Apple without any dealings with Vodafone.

I'll be selling my 5 after I get a new iP6 to recoup whatever I have to pay Vodafone for it on a new contract. Makes sense for me given my call/text/data requirements and the benefits of free V to V calls. I'm paying Vodafone anyway, I might as well get 500 quid off the handset. Not bothered on upgrading to "S" releases, either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dades wrote: »
    Nobody should ever have to deal with networks however. I've had several handsets replaced by Apple without any dealings with Vodafone.

Once you are within the 12 months Apple warranty, Apple will deal with you irrespective of where you got the phone. Its when it goes beyond the 12 months you have to deal with the point of sale (Network Store).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

peteeeed wrote: »

First time I've heard someone use the iPhone Air

First time I've heard someone use the iPhone Air

i've seen it called that and iphone 6L

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kceire wrote: »
    Once you are within the 12 months Apple warranty, Apple will deal with you irrespective of where you got the phone. Its when it goes beyond the 12 months you have to deal with the point of sale (Network Store).
    Can't you extend your Apple warranty from one year to two for something like €50? That's always seemed like a no-brainer to me.

I also note looking at the Apple site that "Applecare" protects you against accidental damage etc. for 99 for two years. To think I'm paying a tenner a month to insure my phone... well not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AppleCare Plus covers two cases of accidental damage both subject to a fee of 69 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

I bought a sim free 4s plus I think €10 48 a month. Over two years I think I came to only €60 less than a 24 month Meteor plan plus phone cost of around €250 upfront for a 5s when I was pricing

They have a 5s deal online currently for €31.20 a month for:

400 minutes
    400 texts
    €39.00 In store
    1GB
    Free Meteor calls & texts.
    24 month

That would suit me grand as I'm a wifi user 99% of the time.

I don't think I'll change until the 6s but if there isn't much of a difference I'll go bill pay for the first time as I have more peace of mind having the extra cash on hand rather than paying €700+ in one go.

Sim free of €700 + €10 a month over 24 months is €940

Meteor 24 month of €250 and €31.20 a month is €998.80 so not a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Dades wrote: »
    Can't you extend your Apple warranty from one year to two for something like €50? That's always seemed like a no-brainer to me.

I also note looking at the Apple site that "Applecare" protects you against accidental damage etc. for 99 for two years. To think I'm paying a tenner a month to insure my phone... well not any more.

I have my 5s and the wife's 5 covered with gadget insurance both for €141 per year which includes accidental damage, loss and theft cover.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I bought a sim free 4s plus I think €10 48 a month. Over two years I think I came to only €60 less than a 24 month Meteor plan plus phone cost of around €250 upfront for a 5s when I was pricing

They have a 5s deal online currently for €31.20 a month for:

400 minutes
    400 texts
    €39.00 In store
    1GB
    Free Meteor calls & texts.
    24 month

That would suit me grand as I'm a wifi user 99% of the time.

I don't think I'll change until the 6s but if there isn't much of a difference I'll go bill pay for the first time as I have more peace of mind having the extra cash on hand rather than paying €700+ in one go.

Sim free of €700 + €10 a month over 24 months is €940

Meteor 24 month of €250 and €31.20 a month is €998.80 so not a massive difference.

That deal expires in a week. When it does, it'll be a couple of hundred quid more expensive over the live of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

That deal expires in a week. When it does, it'll be a couple of hundred quid more expensive over the live of the contract.

Yes it does however it's been running a good while and it's nearly the same as buying sim free that's the whole point.

I'm in no rush so would be keeping an eye for similar deals when I finally decide to upgrade.

Which would be cheaper, buying the iPhone at launch in London or Canada? Are Canada a Tier 1 country like I think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Which would be cheaper, buying the iPhone at launch in London or Canada? Are Canada a Tier 1 country like I think?

I've pretty much ruled out buying my phone from Canada or the USA, I'll be there in December and even the cost savings are not worth it when it comes to repair and out of warranty claims.

I've had my iPhone 5 fixed for free as I bought in apple UK, my brother had his fixed for fee in an IRL store, both one month short of 2 years old.

If they were Canada or USA phones, we would of having to stump up the money ourselves.

kceire wrote: »
    I've pretty much ruled out buying my phone from Canada or the USA, I'll be there in December and even the cost savings are not worth it when it comes to repair and out of warranty claims.

I've had my iPhone 5 fixed for free as I bought in apple UK, my brother had his fixed for fee in an IRL store, both one month short of 2 years old.

If they were Canada or USA phones, we would of having to stump up the money ourselves.

I thought those warranty rules were changed to international coverage, or at least Apple were laid back about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought those warranty rules were changed to international coverage, or at least Apple were laid back about it.

Apple’s own manufacturer’s warranty, yeah. But once that's up it’s got nothing to do with Apple. It’s down to the place and country you bought it in and what the consumer rights there are. They are pretty poor in the US.

I usually put applecare plus on my main devices which should extend it to 3 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I usually put applecare plus on my main devices which should extend it to 3 years?

2 years.

Additional 2. Extends to 3

Depends when you buy the AppleCare Plus, though. To get 3 years of coverage from Apple you'd have to wait until just before the one year warranty is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Additional 2. Extends to 3

It's 24 months cover.
    Depends when you buy the AppleCare Plus, though. To get 3 years of coverage from Apple you'd have to wait until just before the one year warranty is up.

You can only purchase AC+ within 60 days of purchase & either way, the 24 months coverage ends from the date your purchased the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Just a heads up AppleCare+ is only valid in the country it was bought in. It's not like AppleCare that works worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'll definitely be buying it for the iphone6.
    Can't imagine the price of replacing that 4.7/5.5 screen if indeed it was saphire.
    Regardless it'll be at least €200 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Supposedly a photo of working iPhone 6. The mobile payments system is also looking like it'll be added to passbook. I'm glad because the last thing I wanted was another stock app I can't remove.

fFk2oOx.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I was hoping they would reduce the size of the bezels. At least the side ones. Doesn't look like they did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The back doesn't bother me at all and I don't think the bands will be very noticeable IRL. The unnecessarily big top and bottom bezels and protruding camera lens do, though.

I'll be giving this and the 6S a definite miss.

Advertisement