Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

+1

I'm waiting for the details on the 5.5" and the Note 4 (announced tomorrow) before making a decision.
    ShaneU wrote: »

A few sites are saying this is fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

The spacing between the apps is wrong. They're too far from the edges. It looks a bit sketchy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If it's a fake, it's a pretty good one. But whether it's fake or not, it's identical to all the leaks we've seen so far and a good indicator of what the iPhone 6 looks like. And I think it looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks fake as hell to me. The icons are all wrong. Plus the fact that he shows very limited functionality while waving the phone around and talking - classic example of how to demo a bad prototype or fake (see Steve Ballmer hilariously trying to show off non-functioning Slate PC prototypes at CES in 2010). The fact that he shows his face while blurring the serial number is bizarre. Hiding the serial number wouldn’t protect him from Apple’s lawyers.

There’s a huge market in China for knock-offs like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Some reports were saying it seems a bit strange to show the updated Passbook icon but not open it up to show people how the payment stuff will look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

All the working model videos are fake. They would show lots more info if it were true.

There was a leak a week back with the protruding lens which looked like the real deal. It didn't turn on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

I've a naive question here, please don't shot me, how is company powerful as Apple allowing leaks of something so major as the 6?

maroon wrote: »
    I've a naive question here, please don't shot me, how is company powerful as Apple allowing leaks of something so major as the 6?

It's too big to stop these days. They have to produce millions before launch. New products are controlled. Nobody has the faintest idea what the iwatch looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

For a company as design conscious as apple, the protruding camera is a strange decision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's too big to stop these days. They have to produce millions before launch. New products are controlled. Nobody has the faintest idea what the iwatch looks like.

Some people also suggest leaks are done by the companies themselves to gauge reaction. For example leak the protruding camera, get lots of negative feedback and there is a redesign before launch.

I would say a lot of the leaks from the past were prototypes to test the market

ShaneU wrote: »
    For a company as design conscious as apple, the protruding camera is a strange decision.

But not unusual. The most recent iPod touch has a protruding camera. I think we all would have preferred a slightly thicker phone with a slightly bigger battery and no protruding lens but this is Apple we're talking about...

godtabh wrote: »
    Some people also suggest leaks are done by the companies themselves to gauge reaction. For example leak the protruding camera, get lots of negative feedback and there is a redesign before launch.

I would say a lot of the leaks from the past were prototypes to test the market

I know that's not true. The waste of time and energy in producing failed deliberate prototypes is not worth it.

In any case the protruding lens is certain if the phone gets thinner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know that's not true. The waste of time and energy in producing failed deliberate prototypes is not worth it.

In any case the protruding lens is certain if the phone gets thinner.

Producing a case/mould as part of a full R&D package is a tiny cost in the overall scheme of things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's got to be some controlled leaking, too.

Forums like Macrumors, 9to5mac, etc. (even this one!) build hype about their products for them. Leaks are fuel to the fire that keeps the brand burning bright even when they're 6 months from releasing anything.

Assuming they are going to release an iWatch - they've done a hell of job keeping that under wraps.

Dades wrote: »

Forums like Macrumors, 9to5mac, etc. (even this one!) build hype about their products for them. Leaks are fuel to the fire that keeps the brand burning bright even when they're 6 months from releasing anything.

Assuming they are going to release an iWatch - they've done a hell of job keeping that under wraps.

Yep and yep. Mark Gurman's fantastic article on Apple PR is worth a read. Controlled leaks are a good thing. Not all are deliberate but minor leaks here and there are a good thing.

And yeah, seriously impressed about the iWatch if they're announcing it tomorrow. Haven't heard a single leak at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep and yep. Mark Gurman's fantastic article on Apple PR is worth a read. Controlled leaks are a good thing. Not all are deliberate but minor leaks here and there are a good thing.

And yeah, seriously impressed about the iWatch if they're announcing it tomorrow. Haven't heard a single leak at all.

It's probably because it hasn't made it to production. It's odd though with rumours around the gold iPad Air 2 that nothing was leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone know how much the 5s will be discounted once the 6 in unveiled?

In previous years what would the previous model be cut by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Batesy wrote: »

It might not be, it's very hard to predict what Apple will do tomorrow. They could drop the 5S altogether. But I'd imagine they'll drop the price by around €100-150. Best waiting till tomorrow and you'll know for sure. Have to see what way they'll go with the two rumoured iPhone models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    Not all are deliberate but minor leaks here and there are a good thing.

Yep, look back at the month before the iPad Mini with retina came out. Lots of rumours were saying the 2nd gen Mini wouldn't have retina, next thing WSJ confirms it will. Thats one of the bigger examples of minor leaks working.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    It might not be, it's very hard to predict what Apple will do tomorrow. They could drop the 5S altogether. But I'd imagine they'll drop the price by around €100-150. Best waiting till tomorrow and you'll know for sure. Have to see what way they'll go with the two rumoured iPhone models.

Cheers, I can see them dropping the 4 and maybe the 4s but I'm sure the 5/5s will be with us for some time.

I'm looking to move from the 4s to the 5s so I'll wait a bit longer and see what the discount will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Cheers, I can see them dropping the 4 and maybe the 4s but I'm sure the 5/5s will be with us for some time.

I'm looking to move from the 4s to the 5s so I'll wait a bit longer and see what the discount will be.

They dropped the 4 and 5 last year

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It'll be at roughly the same price point the 4s is now so about €399 unlocked.

Draco wrote: »

Really?!? A €300 discount? Can't see them going that low although that would be great!

I was expecting about €449 as the lowest but more than likely €499.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah I'd say €499 would be the cheapest you'd get the 5S for, if they keep it for sale. I'm hoping the new iPhone 6 will start at that price though, and maybe they'll keep the 5c on sale for €400.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Draco wrote: »

You have the price structure confused. The 4S is three years old the 5S is only one. As Apple don't make the iPhone 5 anymore the 5c has basically replaced it.
    The 5S will be around €579. As when the iPhone 5 came out that's what the 4S price was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If they keep the 5s, hopefully it will have 16GB and not 8GB. on the 5s it would probably be something like 5.5GB you could actually use.

So according to the latest batch of rumours the phone will be called iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus or +

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »

Apple don't want stuff leaking. Remember how they reacted to the iPhone 4. They just can't stop it now. Not with updates. And if they were seeding fakes what prior examples do people have?

The iwatch is not in production. So there are not millions of spare parts lying around. It looks like they may not sell it until 2015.

Advertisement