Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple don't want stuff leaking. Remember how they reacted to the iPhone 4. They just can't stop it now. Not with updates. And if they were seeding fakes what prior examples do people have?

The iwatch is not in production. So there are not millions of spare parts lying around. It looks like they may not sell it until 2015.

You should read the Mark Gurman piece on 9to5Mac. It's really an eye opener. He has a great insider knowledge of the workings of Apple so he holds a lot of credibility. It's not just a loada rubbish from 'unknown sources'.

I do believe Apple never intended to leak the iPhone 4, but they will go as far as to leak smaller details of their upcoming devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Apparently Apple has tied up all this shipping out of China for the release of the next iPhone.

I wonder if we'll get initial release this year? Although I think tier 1 countries are ones that have an Apple Store?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The controlled leak stuff is usually very obvious, so much so that I’d hesitate to call them leaks at all. More like unofficial press releases which Apple always send to the same people and publications. These days it’s usually more about setting expectations than building hype. The massive hyping of Apple events and product launches in recent years has actually been quite damaging to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The massive hyping of Apple events and product launches in recent years has actually been quite damaging to them.

How so? It hasn't seemed to have hurt their sales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zcott wrote: »
    How so? It hasn't seemed to have hurt their sales.

Well, look at how their stock price falls after most of these events due to disappointment with what is announced. That's due to over-hyping. Much of Apple's secrecy culture is about under-promising and over-delivering. They want hype, certainly, but they want to be able to control it. If it hasn't had a huge effect on sales it's only because Apple's main customer base is not tech geeks who follow all this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Well, look at how their stock price falls after most of these events due to disappointment with what is announced. That's due to over-hyping. Much of Apple's secrecy culture is about under-promising and over-delivering. They want hype, certainly, but they want to be able to control it. If it hasn't had a huge effect on sales it's only because Apple's main customer base is not tech geeks who follow all this crap.

It always has, and rebounds quickly in most cases. I remember it doing the same 10-12 years ago. More of a frenzy these days alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Where are people planning on watching the announcement? Will it be streamed live, or will we need to follow it on the likes of the verge or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

One thing's for sure, AAPL hasn't fallen because of over hyping of launch events. It feel because product launches didn't meet analysts expectations. 'Hype' is inconsequential.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

One thing's for sure, AAPL hasn't fallen because of over hyping of launch events. It feel because product launches didn't meet analysts expectations. 'Hype' is inconsequential.

well isnt the hype the reason why it didnt meet the markets expectations? Apple has a role to play in managing the hype. The fact that they dont openly engage in pre product launch discussions means the hype intensifies. That hype doesn't meet markets expectations, price drops but people still buy in the bucket loads.

dulpit wrote: »
    Where are people planning on watching the announcement? Will it be streamed live, or will we need to follow it on the likes of the verge or similar?

If you have an iOS device, Apple TV or Mac you can watch it live on apple.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭larry1

When can we buy it in Dublin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

larry1 wrote: »
    When can we buy it in Dublin?

either at Tier 1 release late September, ot Tier 2, Late October.
    Bear in mind there is no Apple shop in Dublin so you will have to depend on getting one from the networks or ordering from www.apple.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Montiii

when the 5 was released 2 years ago, I got via O2 online the first couple of days in Oct, delivered the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

This is probably very old news, but i just saw that ios8 will allow swyping on keyboards :D

Thats me sold on the iphone6!

mad muffin wrote: »

And if you don't?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mad muffin wrote: »

I presume through safari?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Oh my yes.

And if you don't?

You'll have to follow one of the live blogs, like The Verge.

godtabh wrote: »
    I presume through safari?

Yep. On Apple TV an Apple special events app pops up before the live stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's too big to stop these days. They have to produce millions before launch. New products are controlled. Nobody has the faintest idea what the iwatch looks like.
    New products are easier to control. Set up a shell company and a fake product name and it'll pass through foxconn and other suppliers with little attention. Foxconn has over a million employees producing thousands of different products for a variety of clients, from huge companies like Apple down to Chinese companies making cheap knockoffs. News of random company X producing cool-looking watch Y isn't something that anyone will buy unless they can confirm it's from Apple.

A new iPhone is much harder to control because lots of employees will pretty quickly recognise what it is - and as mentioned, Apple themselves like to let teasers out to build the hype. You tightly control the new products before the "big reveal", but there's nothing big to reveal about the iPhone, so leaks are better for building hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Montiii wrote: »
    when the 5 was released 2 years ago, I got via O2 online the first couple of days in Oct, delivered the next day

That's tied to a network. I presume they want to know when it can be bought direct from apple sim free.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    New products are easier to control. Set up a shell company and a fake product name and it'll pass through foxconn and other suppliers with little attention. Foxconn has over a million employees producing thousands of different products for a variety of clients, from huge companies like Apple down to Chinese companies making cheap knockoffs. News of random company X producing cool-looking watch Y isn't something that anyone will buy unless they can confirm it's from Apple.

A new iPhone is much harder to control because lots of employees will pretty quickly recognise what it is - and as mentioned, Apple themselves like to let teasers out to build the hype. You tightly control the new products before the "big reveal", but there's nothing big to reveal about the iPhone, so leaks are better for building hype.

Apple has these and they still somehow leak, I've seen patent filings for upcoming Apple features and devices leak this way. People still link the company's back to Apple. And this won't really work for production, think about it, some unknown random company all of a sudden producing huge numbers of watches tying up production lines around the time Apple's wearable will supposedly be released. There's not a chance that wouldn't leak as an Apple product.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Apple has these and they still somehow leak, I've seen patent filings for upcoming Apple features and devices leak this way. People still link the company's back to Apple. And this won't really work for production, think about it, some unknown random company all of a sudden producing huge numbers of watches tying up production lines around the time Apple's wearable will supposedly be released. There's not a chance that wouldn't leak as an Apple product.

These companies wouldn't be mass producing. They would be prototype runs. Its expected that the iWatch wont be sold for a good few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I think ill be commuting when the event is on,Does it be linked on the itunes store or app store on iphones?

Edit : Just discovered it'll be on apple.com via the browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    I think ill be commuting when the event is on,Does it be linked on the itunes store or app store on iphones?

I think if you visit it's page on the Apple website in Safari you'll be able to watch it.

godtabh wrote: »
    These companies wouldn't be mass producing. They would be prototype runs. Its expected that the iWatch wont be sold for a good few months

I thought the poster was saying Apple should manufacture the new devices this way. I misread what he meant, but yeah I'd imagine this is how Apple has kept things under wraps. Also they'd probably build the prototypes in-house to keep these things secret right to the very end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,089 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time is the announcement?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

What time is the announcement?

6pm Irish time.

How long after announcement do people reckon the carriers here will know pricing structures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How long after announcement do people reckon the carriers here will know pricing structures?

As late as they possibly can. It's usually a case of them all waiting for each other to announce their pricing and it's quiet often only the day before the launch that they actually reveal their pricing.

• Advertisement

As late as they possibly can. It's usually a case of them all waiting for each other to announce their pricing and it's quiet often only the day before the launch that they actually reveal their pricing.

Sad times, how is one supposed to make an informed decision?

Advertisement