Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

Big screen is the beez neez, I've a 5.2 inch screen and it's awesome.

You need your big screen for YouTube videos, personal videos, your pictures, games, watching TV.
    When I'm using the girlfriends iPhone 5 I find myself squinting at the small screen and tiny text.
    It suits her as she has small little hands and can't operate a bigger screen.

See, I'd personally rather consume media on a tablet or small laptop.

I like a phone to be a phone with a few extras (decent camera too).

Different strokes. Obviously a market for all sizes. One manufacturer making fun of another regarding screen size is just stupid.

Looking forward to seeing what Apple produce. Would rather they kept it below 4.5".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I thought the S4 was too big too and I have and S3 but when I held and S3 and S4 together recently and there is no noticeable difference between them in the hand at all and even when looking at them side by side. The S4 has a bigger screen and smaller bezel making it the same size as an S3 only slightly thicker.

Any bigger than the S3 and S4 is too big imo. I can use them single handed even with pick to zoom but don't want anything bigger.

That's what I'm saying. If the S5 is a 5.2" screen then surely that's the point where it becomes too big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

kceire wrote: »
    The S4 is already too big for my liking!
    My brpther who is a droid has not upgraded from the S3 because of this.

The s4 is smaller than the s3.

The s4 is smaller than the s3.

S4 has a bigger screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

S4 is fractionally narrower and slimmer than the S3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Samsung bashing iPhone screen size.... Ah here no need for that now
    The iPhone and the Note are totally different products so that ad seems pointless.

They could make the same ad and take the piss out of their own Galaxy Trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's funny reading threads like this. Everyone thinks that the screen size they put forward is the best one and should be imposed on everyone else. Funnily enough S. Jobs thought that too. Android have shown that Apple has misjudged the world market as opposed to the US market. It takes a range of screen sizes to satisfy the market. Personally 4.7 minimum and would use bigger. The only thing that has kept me with Apple is the all the music I have on it. I'm waiting to see if Apple realises that the customer is always right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It's funny reading threads like this. Everyone thinks that the screen size they put forward is the best one and should be imposed on everyone else. Funnily enough S. Jobs thought that too. Android have shown that Apple has misjudged the world market as opposed to the US market. It takes a range of screen sizes to satisfy the market. Personally 4.7 minimum and would use bigger. The only thing that has kept me with Apple is the all the music I have on it. I'm waiting to see if Apple realises that the customer is always right.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
    - Henry Ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."
    - Henry Ford

Idiocy like this is the problem. People knew what they wanted: that's why they bought a touch screen phone. They also obviously knew they wanted bigger screens. Self regarding companies who think their customers are fools will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

So just rumour updates, the talk on two new iPhones may in fact be one new iPhone but the bigger version may be a new device and will not be an official part of the iPhone line up.

An actual iPhablet perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The customer is right. The current iPhone size dominates the market and apple can't make enough.
    I hope they don't change to the comical sizes a small number want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

Piliger wrote: »
    The customer is right. The current iPhone size dominates the market and apple can't make enough.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/10/samsung-note-3-10-million-sold/

Small numbers like 10 million is two months? Stop making things up.

Wouldn't be for me personally, but good sales figures for a phone with a 5.5" screen. Not to mention the array of other handsets with large screens sold.

Newsflash: people like different things and it's obvious there's a huge market for large and small screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Idiocy like this is the problem. People knew what they wanted: that's why they bought a touch screen phone. They also obviously knew they wanted bigger screens. Self regarding companies who think their customers are fools will fail.

So Apple and Ford are self regarding companies who will fail???? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why can't they do both?

Release a larger screen size and then have a second line smaller size screen in place of the current 5s?

Gives people a choice then which can't be a bad thing.

The current size dominates the market because it's what Apple offer. Same way as if they do bring out a larger phone in September, that too will dominate the market.

I wouldn't agree when you say it's a small number of people that want it. Tim Cook knows that it's the way forward but isn't going to jump on the bigger screen until Apple can perfect it with the right technology and balance.
    What we’ve said is that until the technology is ready, we don’t want to cross that line.

Like the poster above me, I think they will keep the 5s as the lower price option alongside it (or an improved 4" model) for those looking to keep that screen size but I see most people looking to move on to a bigger screen.

For people saying that the iPhone should not be bigger, I remember when the iPhone first came out that people found it a ridiculously large size, and now it's viewed as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

murpho999 wrote: »
    For people saying that the iPhone should not be bigger, I remember when the iPhone first came out that people found it a ridiculously large size, and now it's viewed as normal.

Exactly, and the same people who said that 3.5" was perfect later said that 4" was perfect.

If apple brings out a 4.5 inch phone will they be saying that is perfect?

It's funny reading threads like this. Everyone thinks that the screen size they put forward is the best one and should be imposed on everyone else.
    Well that's just not true. Unless you're reading this thread with a very anti-Apple-user bias.

What I see is a lot of people posting their preferences and predictions.
    Would love a bigger screen myself, not phablet sized but around the 4.7 inch mark.
    Zcott wrote: »
    Personally I'm hoping for a wider screen, preferably edge to edge.
    hfallada wrote: »
    I honestly can't use an iPhone anymore. The screen is just to small for me.
    Actually upon looking it up I'd be delighted with a 4.3 screen
    Dades wrote: »
    I'd be very happy with 4.7
    miralize wrote: »
    I think if Apple could bring its design sensibilities (like actual buttons and proper placement of said buttons) to a 4.3" - 4.7" display I think it might be great.
    Etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember when the iP5 pics were leaked, and thinking that the screen was maybe a bit too big. Nah, it's OK. I actually think it's a bit too small now, but the 5" of the S4 is too big. It's comically big.

Halfway house maybe; a return to a 3:2 aspect ratio which would cause a small increase in height and 20% jump in width. Just enough space for a fifth icon, making it much easier to read webpages in normal rotation. They wouldn't actually have to increase the size of the phone by 20%, with an edge-to-edge screen.

The renders in the OP look pretty legit. Like others my only concern is that a narrower form factor would mean no improvement or a reduction in battery capacity.

seamus wrote: »
    I remember when the iP5 pics were leaked, and thinking that the screen was maybe a bit too big. Nah, it's OK. I actually think it's a bit too small now, but the 5" of the S4 is too big. It's comically big.

Halfway house maybe; a return to a 3:2 aspect ratio which would cause a small increase in height and 20% jump in width. Just enough space for a fifth icon, making it much easier to read webpages in normal rotation. They wouldn't actually have to increase the size of the phone by 20%, with an edge-to-edge screen.

The renders in the OP look pretty legit. Like others my only concern is that a narrower form factor would mean no improvement or a reduction in battery capacity.

Agree with that, Apple seem obsessed with thinness and want to bring out a phone that can double as a razor.

Surely battery life has to be the biggest phone issue right now?

• Advertisement

When I saw the iP5 shape first I couldn't believe they were serious.

Having used one now for over a year I haven't really changed my view that it's too narrow. Yeah, it was great to get a size increase but in my view it was a compromised decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The iPhone5 is the perfect dimension and size. Watching the sad folk talking intom a humungous phablet galaxy is a hoot. In business circles they are laughed at.

The iPhone5 is the perfect dimension and size. Watching the sad folk talking intom a humungous phablet galaxy is a hoot. In business circles they are laughed at.

Nobody is saying make the next iphone a phablet. Increasing the screen from 4" doesn't make it a phablet. There are plenty of phones larger than the iphone 5 screen but smaller than the phablet sizes of the Galaxy Note 2 & 3.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 has had a bigger screen than iPhone 5/5s since 2011. The 2014 iPhone will probably be bigger and it's very likely that it will once again smash sales records.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

My choice would be the size of the 4/4s but with an edge to edge screen and the thinness of the 5.

I think anything bigger is just annoying to use. I use my phone for calls/texts/twitter/music. I don't need it to be a movie screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

I don't see any problems with the 5's size, I can still fit it in my pocket because it's so thin, probably even more easily than the 4s I had before. The extra screen estate is very noticeable and apps feel less cramped, and while I don't watch movies on it, the 16:9 aspect ratio means there are no more black borders when viewing clips online.

But the iPhone 5's size isn't for everyone, especially older people who may have poorer eyesight, that's why many people opt for larger 4.7" to 5" displays. I wouldn't mind a larger display. Apple knows there's clearly demand for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont link the iPhone 5 formfactor and was the main reason why I didnt upgrade. In saying that my wife has one and its growing on me.

Either way I think there is a point between the current IP5 screen size and the SG4 screen size that the majority of people will be happy with. I reckon it will be between 4.3 and 4.7

In business circles they are laughed at.
    What kind of business are you in where they laugh at peoples smartphones?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Personally the ideal size would be maybe 10mm wider than current iPhone 5 and using up much more of the top, bottom and side bezels for useful screen area.

i.e change the screen format, to give a lot more area without making the phone much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

copacetic wrote: »
    Personally the ideal size would be maybe 10mm wider than current iPhone 5 and using up much more of the top, bottom and side bezels for useful screen area.

i.e change the screen format, to give a lot more area without making the phone much bigger.

Yep, I'd pay good money for an edge to edge screen, and I'd love one that was all screen. Unfortunately there does need to be a speaker, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, I'd pay good money for an edge to edge screen, and I'd love one that was all screen. Unfortunately there does need to be a speaker, though.
    Speaker's on the bottom😉

Advertisement