Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Apple are very much sticking to the "can use with one hand" philosophy. Don't reckon we'll see a wider iPhone anytime soon!

Also, it would **** over every app developer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

banquo wrote: »

it won't anymore than the 4" screen did.

auto layout brought in with iOS 6 allows developers to make screen size independent apps, all developers (including myself) are using it (well i hope to **** they are).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

banquo wrote: »
    Apple are very much sticking to the "can use with one hand" philosophy. Don't reckon we'll see a wider iPhone anytime soon!

Indeed. They have a winning product. No need to change it much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I think they are going to have a new name for the bigger phone - iPhone will be still for the 3.5/4" handsets. That way they don't have to go back on their previous "Use with just one hand".

I also think it will be a June/July drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I think they are going to have a new name for the bigger phone - iPhone will be still for the 3.5/4" handsets. That way they don't have to go back on their previous "Use with just one hand".

I also think it will be a June/July drop.
    Definitely won't happen. It's going to be a September/October release with a new bigger iPhone, with my bet being that the iPhone 6C (or whatever variant of it) will be more higher end with the latest processors as the 6 -like the retina mini, but just in a smaller form factor. The last bit is just my opinion, I'm positive that it won't be a summer launch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think they are going to have a new name for the bigger phone

The iPad Nano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Why on earth would they call their next generation iPhone something other than iPhone just because it's getting bigger? It's such a powerful and valuable brand to change to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

dodzy wrote: »
    Speaker's on the bottom😉

I meant the earpiece ;-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, I'd pay good money for an edge to edge screen, and I'd love one that was all screen. Unfortunately there does need to be a speaker, though.
    An edge to edge might pose a problem for those who like a protective case with a bit of lip so they phone can be left face down.

I suppose it all depends on whether a swipe has to go all the way to the edge to function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Dades wrote: »
    An edge to edge might pose a problem for those who like a protective case with a bit of lip so they phone can be left face down.

I suppose it all depends on whether a swipe has to go all the way to the edge to function.

I hadn't thought of that, but given Apple's reluctance for anyone to use a case I don't think it'd stop them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dades wrote: »

A pouch is the way to go imo.
    medscaleIphone%204%20Black%20Leather%20Pouch%20Open.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Passenger wrote: »
    A pouch is the way to go imo.
    medscaleIphone%204%20Black%20Leather%20Pouch%20Open.jpg

Annoying things. I like to have immediate access to the screen.

a case on an iPhone is just wrong IMO, might as well go buy an android phone tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

a case on an iPhone is just wrong IMO, might as well go buy an android phone tbh.

I tend to agree. Although I do have a wallet case (enough for 2 cards) on my phone. Added protection is also a bonus, even though I rarely drop damage my phone.

Whilst the iPhone is a thing of beauty and feels great in the hand, saying you should just have an Android phone if you're going to put a case on it is a bit crazy. You're basically saying the value of an iPhone is only in the feel of it without a case or to be seen using it. A case doesn't take away from the actual premium quality of the phone of the experience using it.

However your point about going ceaseless is the only way to go does have great meaning, if you don't plan on selling on your phone for it's maximum value when you're upgrading or if you're insured for accidental damage. It really does feel great without a case but also feels very fragile (when you don't have the peace of mind of insurance or want to keep it in good condition for resale) and slips out of the pocket more than with a case on, usually.

If you're going to try sell on your iPhone and get the most money for it, a very good conditioned iPhone is obviously the way to go. With the 5 & 5s it's very hard to keep it in such condition without a case of some sort.

Personally I have a mix of both worlds. When I'm in comfortable surroundings like at home I don't have the case on but when I'm going out on the tear or at work I have a case on as it's more susceptible to damage. The case I use is the Apple leather one (which looks great for 3 days and the colour fades and gets very worn easily).

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Whilst the iPhone is a thing of beauty and feels great in the hand, saying you should just have an Android phone if you're going to put a case on it is a bit crazy. You're basically saying the value of an iPhone is only in the feel of it without a case or to be seen using it. A case doesn't take away from the actual premium quality of the phone of the experience using it.

However your point about going ceaseless is the only way to go does have great meaning, if you don't plan on selling on your phone for it's maximum value when you're upgrading or if you're insured for accidental damage. It really does feel great without a case but also feels very fragile (when you don't have the peace of mind of insurance or want to keep it in good condition for resale) and slips out of the pocket more than with a case on, usually.

If you're going to try sell on your iPhone and get the most money for it, a very good conditioned iPhone is obviously the way to go. With the 5 & 5s it's very hard to keep it in such condition without a case of some sort.

Personally I have a mix of both worlds. When I'm in comfortable surroundings like at home I don't have the case on but when I'm going out on the tear or at work I have a case on as it's more susceptible to damage. The case I use is the Apple leather one (which looks great for 3 days and the colour fades and gets very worn easily).
    I've never had a case on any of my iPhone's (1st gen, 3G S, 4, 4S, 5) (the free bumper was on my 4 for about a day), always buy sim free and take great care of my phone, I don't have insurance (do have apple care though) either but this is something I will rectify when I go for the next generation iPhone.

typical usage of my iPhone.

1. in my pocket.
    2. in my hand whilst commuting.
    3. on my desk whilst developing.
    4. in my everdock duo at night time.

It's like a child to me, it never gets dropped*. The "might as well get an android" comment was tongue in cheek and quite Steve Jobs-esque of "you're holding it wrong".

*dropped on to a carpet from about 1ft but that's about all :pac:

I've never had a case on any of my iPhone's (1st gen, 3G S, 4, 4S, 5) (the free bumper was on my 4 for about a day), always buy sim free and take great care of my phone, I don't have insurance (do have apple care though) either but this is something I will rectify when I go for the next generation iPhone.

typical usage of my iPhone.

1. in my pocket.
    2. in my hand whilst commuting.
    3. on my desk whilst developing.
    4. in my everdock duo at night time.

It's like a child to me, it never gets dropped*. The "might as well get an android" comment was tongue in cheek and quite Steve Jobs-esque of "you're holding it wrong".

*dropped on to a carpet from about 1ft but that's about all :pac:

Well yeah I guess it depends on how or where you use it. I've dropped my naked 5s from my bed by lifting up the covers and not realising the phone was on it and it jumped from the end to the wooden floor landing face down and there wasn't a ding anywhere on it. So you can be lucky and the screen tends to be very sturdy.

I'm just a lot more cautious when I'm out and about in case it lands on concrete. Also I think it was primarily the slate 5 that was the culprit for most of the scuffing from general usage, the gold doesn't seem to suffer much, although I do have a scratch on the apple logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Lots of people take great care of their phones, but accidents do happen. There's no carpet in my home, all floors are wooden. For such an expensive device, I'd rather have a scuffed case than a scuffed phone. I'm using the Spigen SGP Slim Armor S case and it's absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

But who's going to be admiring its slick ergonomic design when it's in your pocket? You take it out of the pouch when you're using it and it feels like it should in your hand, unhindered by a rubber/plastic case. Then when it's in your pocket, on a desk etc. it has the benefit of being protected.

I have kids... therefore I have a case. I need to keep my phone in good nick so I can sell it this autumn.

I got the Apple black leather case at Christmas and love it. So snug. Sure the leather gets a bit scuffed - but it's leather - that's what it does. Unlike previous cases it doesn't trap dirt/sand inbetween the phone and the case causing microscratches along the sides. My first 5 was covered in them despite having a plastic case.

As for the point of an iPhone in a case? If it wasn't for iOS I'd have switched to something like an S4 years ago to have a bigger screen and a radio. It's not the slippy, scratchy hardware that keeps me tied to Apple. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

If what you care about is how a phone looks, then that says it all. I care about what it does. Hence an iPhone. Does it also look amazing ? Sure. But that a long way down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It goes to the testament of the amount of iPhone 6 leaks that people are talking about phones in cases for the last three pages :pac:

mad muffin wrote: »
    It goes to the testament of the amount of iPhone 6 leaks that people are talking about phones in cases for the last three pages :pac:

Didn't the iPhone 5 leaks first appear in February 2012? Hopefully not long before we see what's on offer, so we can all stop the arguing :D

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Didn't the iPhone 5 leaks first appear in February 2012? Hopefully not long before we see what's on offer, so we can all stop the arguing :D

That's what I was thinking too :cool:

Tbh, I'd consider this thread to be about people interested in the iP6 just shooting the breeze while waiting for something solid.

Piliger wrote: »
    If what you care about is how a phone looks, then that says it all. I care about what it does. Hence an iPhone. Does it also look amazing ? Sure. But that a long way down the list.

I care hugely about how a phone looks. Actually, I wouldn't buy an ugly product ever.

I don't mind android, but it's a hell of a lot uglier/less polished than iOS.

I'd never buy a Samsung phone for those reasons. Ugly, cheap quality phones. I'd go for the new Sony or HTC One any day. They are quality phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I care hugely about how a phone looks. Actually, I wouldn't buy an ugly product ever.

I don't mind android, but it's a hell of a lot uglier/less polished than iOS.

I'd never buy a Samsung phone for those reasons. Ugly, cheap quality phones. I'd go for the new Song or HTC One any day. They are quality phones.

Same mate, I won't buy a phone I don't like the look of either. In saying that I wouldn't buy a nice looking phone with a bad OS either.

For instance I found the iPhone 4s a nice balance on looks and OS. I love iOS so if the iP6 looks good and iOS8 is good then I'll get it.

I don't mind Android but Samsung butcher it with all the crap they do to it. If I had to pick an Android phone the Nexus 5 is what I like the look of and it runs pure Android.

Yes, I forgot the nexus 5 there too. Good looking phone as well

Going by this years MWC I don't think Apple has anything to worry about.

• Advertisement

They never had, there are zero phones that even come close to the build quality of _ANY_ iPhone ever released.

The Nokia Lumia range comes closest but it's still night and day.

Advertisement