Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

They never had, there are zero phones that even come close to the build quality of _ANY_ iPhone ever released.

The Nokia Lumia range comes closest but it's still night and day.

I think you'll find the HTC One comes pretty damn close to the build quality of the iPhone - and probably surpasses it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I think you'll find the HTC One comes pretty damn close to the build quality of the iPhone - and probably surpasses it.

The screen nor the camera are on that level. Nice phone otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wouldn't rate it as such. It's not even uni-body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

A friend of mine who usually uses a Nexus phone says that his dream phone would be Apple hardware and stock Android. Obviously not going to happen but would be very interesting to see what it's like.

miralize wrote: »
    The screen nor the camera are on that level. Nice phone otherwise.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    I wouldn't rate it as such. It's not even uni-body.

Well that's fair enough, but i was referring to the "any iphone ever made". I distinctly remember the iPhone 3G and 3GS being pretty cheap and plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

godtabh wrote: »
    Either way I think there is a point between the current IP5 screen size and the SG4 screen size that the majority of people will be happy with. I reckon it will be between 4.3 and 4.7

IPhone5 is too small, galaxy 4/nexus 5 too big.. HTC one mini is juuuusssst right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Htc one is quite cheap in build quality in comparison with iPhone IMO of course. Just because the iPhone 3 was plastic doesn't mean it had inferior build quality. That thing was molded perfectly for millions of different hand shapes. Fitted perfectly in your hand. Htc one, fails at that point.

Gokei wrote: »
    IPhone5 is too small, galaxy 4/nexus 5 too big.. HTC one mini is juuuusssst right.

Thanks Goldilocks ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd rate it higher. And I've been a huge critic of HTC's build quality. I really don't think iPhones build quality is that great. Sure, they feel phenomenal when new, but they just don't last.

My wife's iPhone 5. The home button is turned around by 20 degree, the power button barely works anymore. We'll have to get it sent away.

The iPhone 4. Home button had to be repaired and at about 16 months the radios failed, meaning it couldn't make calls.

The 3GS. That hairline crack at the connector that riddled that model. Issues again with radios.

These phones were always kept in cases and well cared for. It's my friends experience as well. iPhones just tend to be ****ed by the time they're a year old. Often before it.

I'll echo the sentiment that some of the Lumias have the best build quality I've seen.

edit x2: I still wouldn't touch an initial run of HTC's production though.

Well, i own both the iPhone 5 and HTC One currently, and have had every iphone model since the iPhone 3G.

Side by side, HTC One is by far the superior build, and even the most enthusiastic iPhone owner that i know has admitted as much.

I suppose like everything it's a matter of personal preference etc.

• Advertisement

Well, i own both the iPhone 5 and HTC One currently, and have had every iphone model since the iPhone 3G.

Side by side, HTC One is by far the superior build, and even the most enthusiastic iPhone owner that i know has admitted as much.

I suppose like everything it's a matter of personal preference etc.

This is my experience as well. And that includes a couple of Apple Software engineers. I will say that Apple's aftersales negates the quality issues, but it's still irritating. It really wouldn't put me off buying an iPhone. What would though...

1) The screen size feels comically small to me. 4 inches wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for that odd aspect ratio. This I expect will be changed.

2) Battery life. **** me the 5 is bad, I'd a One X which would be looking for a charge at noon ( having been taken off the charger at 7am) and the iPhone is as bad.

I'd get over the OS, but those two issues are killer.

Just look at and compare the finish on the iPhone 5s's lightning port and 3.5 jack to the finish on the One.

It tells you every thing you need to know about attention to detail and finish.

Just look at and compare the finish on the iPhone 5s's lightning port and 3.5 jack to the finish on the One.

It tells you every thing you need to know about attention to detail and finish.

I'm looking..... i'm not seeing.

Look harder. Squint maybe. Because there's obviously a mine of information there. Or alternatively, you could just ignore certain posters who are really invested in iPhone.

Look harder. Squint maybe. Because there's obviously a mine of information there. Or alternatively, you could just ignore certain posters who are really invested in iPhone.

You can deny it all you like.

At what stage do you think we will see a major breakthrough in battery life? Maybe not the 6 but it could be the killer feature of the 6s?

You can deny it all you like.

As i said, it's a matter of personal preference.

As i said, it's a matter of personal preference.

I prefer the finish on the iPhone. On the htc it looks like there is something missing.

And also you have all that plastic on the One.

0mej.jpg
    kqvv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Am bored with this thread now...

As usual what starts off as a conversation about iPhone, turns into iPhone v Android

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think the sony Z1 has amazing build quality, as does the Z. They are some phones.

These posts above are hilarious, zomg check out that sexy bottom of the phones there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I think the sony Z1 has amazing build quality, as does the Z. They are some phones.

These posts above are hilarious, zomg check out that sexy bottom of the phones there.

Exactly Who would have thought to put the speakers on the bottom.... Front facing speakers FTW :)

End of the day - i love the iPhone and how easy it is to use.
    I just mentioned the HTC One as i was pointing out that the build quality definitely rivals that of an iPhone.

If the iPhone 6 has a similar size screen - then happy days :)

(oh - and hope it has a sexy bottom as well) :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

End of the day - i love the iPhone and how easy it is to use.
    I just mentioned the HTC One as i was pointing out that the build quality definitely rivals that of an iPhone.

If the iPhone 6 has a similar size screen - then happy days :)

(oh - and hope it has a sexy bottom as well) :):)

Of course, they all have sexy bottoms.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They never had, there are zero phones that even come close to the build quality of _ANY_ iPhone ever released.

The Nokia Lumia range comes closest but it's still night and day.

I've had last 3 or 4 iPhones, but this is wildly inaccurate, Sonys build quality is right up there. Certainly not night and day. (As rightly befits the company that Apple have copied a lot of their design philosophy from)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

The iPhone 6 will have Sapphire coating according to rumours at GSM Arena

The iPhone 6 to have the fastest WiFi of any iOS device ever?

An interesting concept of a 4.7 inch iPhone 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Another year of speculation and I still bet that the size of the iPhone will stay exactly or almost exactly the same. It is the perfect size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Piliger wrote: »
    Another year of speculation and I still bet that the size of the iPhone will stay exactly or almost exactly the same. It is the perfect size.

That's what all the die-hard apple fans said about the 3.5" iPhone 4 screen. Just saying.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That's what all the die-hard apple fans said about the 3.5" iPhone 4 screen. Just saying.

Sure. But it didn't really get bigger, just taller from 4.5 to 4.87.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Piliger wrote: »
    Sure. But it didn't really get bigger, just taller from 4.5 to 4.87.

That second number is bigger than the first... just sayin'

I'm sure the'll use it as an opportunity to diversify the product line a bit. 4 & 4.7" perhaps?

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    That second number is bigger than the first... just sayin'

I'm sure the'll use it as an opportunity to diversify the product line a bit. 4 & 4.7" perhaps?

Well I accept it is 'possible' that they may alter the size slightly I do admit (tiny tiny possibility) but I seriously doubt a split. It's just not Apple's style. And the 5c and 5s is as far as they will go imho. I do know one thing ... we won't know for a long time yet :)

Advertisement