Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Like the iPad / iPad mini split? They were somewhat uncharacteristically reactionary to the 7" tablets that were coming out around then. Which is why I think they will act the same for the bigger screens.

Whether you'd like them or not, it makes sense for Apple to try and retain the customers that are pining for larger screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Piliger wrote: »
    Well I accept it is 'possible' that they may alter the size slightly I do admit (tiny tiny possibility) but I seriously doubt a split. It's just not Apple's style. And the 5c and 5s is as far as they will go imho. I do know one thing ... we won't know for a long time yet :)

According to Tim Cook he is pretty much waiting until the technology is ready to increase the screen size. Any time he is asked about it, he never says its something he won't do, just says something along the lines of it needs to be perfect in terms of technology to do it. Aka Apples usual motto of we'll take time to perfect it before releasing it. I think they've spent since 2013 at least, getting react for a bigger screen sized iPhone 6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This year will mark the two year birthday of the "longphone" iPhone 5.

The slightly taller screen grudging bought them 2 years from a lot of Apple users, but if they don't bump it again a lot of people aren't going to suffer through another 2 years (punctuated by a "S").

Two size options would be very un-Apple, but that doesn't mean they won't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Personally I don't like the idea that the same size iPhone is meant to be perfect for me (over 6 footh tall with large hands and poor eyesight) and a 4 foot tall petit female with baby hands. We really don't live in a world where one size fits all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Dudda wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the idea that the same size iPhone is meant to be perfect for me (over 6 footh tall with large hands and poor eyesight) and a 4 foot tall petit female with baby hands. We really don't live in a world where one size fits all.

Do you think that massive global companies should make a special version just for the handful of giants ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The iPhone5 is the perfect dimension and size. Watching the sad folk talking intom a humungous phablet galaxy is a hoot. In business circles they are laughed at.

Business circles are laughed at by a country broken their incompetence.

So the rumour mill sped up over the last week with countless sites sharing supposed leaked photos of its prototype, which seem to have been fake: leaked pics

Another year of speculation and I still bet that the size of the iPhone will stay exactly or almost exactly the same. It is the perfect size.

Ah the perfect size. In your opinion. Not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

I'm due an upgrade next month.im an iphone fan myself but jumped ship to the sg4 why screen size. so my hope is bigger screen on the ip6, IMO choice of screen would be great but Appel being apple it's hard to call,one thing for sure it's criminal the space wasted on that bezel as far as battery goes I find the sg4 harder on battery than ipnone.time will tell

So the rumour mill sped up over the last week with countless sites sharing supposed leaked photos of its prototype, which seem to have been fake: leaked pics
    Ah the perfect size. In your opinion. Not mine.

That's your opinion, not mine.

That's your opinion, not mine.

Actually that is the opinion of two different posters conflated. Glad you agree that opinions about the best screen size differ: logically then to cater for a diverse market you have a range of screen sizes.

• Advertisement

Actually that is the opinion of two different posters conflated. Glad you agree that opinions about the best screen size differ: logically then to cater for a diverse market you have a range of screen sizes.

Business is not about that kind of 'logic'. Business is about costs vs benefits. It is about relative market sizes and many more things. You seem to live in a bubble where business should produce according to proportional representation.

Apple has always taken a completely different business view. It produces the best product they can build. Minority preferences don't play a role. They have done pretty well so far.

Business is not about that kind of 'logic'. Business is about costs vs benefits. It is about relative market sizes and many more things. You seem to live in a bubble where business should produce according to proportional representation.

Apple has always taken a completely different business view. It produces the best product they can build. Minority preferences don't play a role. They have done pretty well so far.

And that is your opinion. Not mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

And their share price has been dropping while pretty much every other us companies shares are rallying. The market are responding to the fact apple isn't the only market of decent products. The new windows laptop's are as good as apples and cheaper.

Likewise Samsung is out preforming apple in China. The Chinese love a bigger screen and are buying Samsung phones because of that. Market analysts are expecting a huge increase in the number of consumers with phones that have screens that are 5.3 inches or bigger.

Apple is eventually going to have to produce phablets as market will demand them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How real this is? I don't know.

http://www.nowhereelse.fr/photos-facade-iphone-6-94307/

To me it looks like someone rubbed out some of the black paint on a iPhone 5s glass. Especially evident is the cutout for the home button. It's exactly in the same spot and they rubbed a bit too much paint out at the top.

For me if this was real the home button cutout would have been centred lower.

mad muffin wrote: »
    How real this is? I don't know.

http://www.nowhereelse.fr/photos-facade-iphone-6-94307/

To me it looks like someone rubbed out some of the black paint on a iPhone 5s glass. Especially evident is the cutout for the home button. It's exactly in the same spot and they rubbed a bit too much paint out at the top.

For me if this was real the home button cutout would have been centred lower.

Yeah the home button cutout is ridiculous. They couldn't possibly make it that close to the screen anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Whatever about making the screen bigger, I really don't think they'd go edge to edge with the display.

Either way those front glass pieces are fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

If that were real am I the only one thinking that design would be hideous?

If that were real am I the only one thinking that design would be hideous?

I don't know think it could look good.

Someone on macrumours did a mockup:

nn87.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

I can see why some might like it, but I dunno kinda still has the TV remote look that completely put me off the 5 and 5s tbh.

This looks like a pretty cool iPhone 6c concept. Don't know how practical it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

mad muffin wrote: »
    This looks like a pretty cool iPhone 6c concept. Don't know how practical it is.

Those concepts look great in fairness. Not sure about the square edges on something so thin, thought. The 5S isn't the most comfortable to hold, never mind a thinner version of it.

Better to use a tapered back like the 3GS, but in metal, if it's going to be that thin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

nice mockup, very iPod Touch looking. I've been saying that all along that I'd love an iPhone in the style and size of an iPod Touch. Still think the bezel free display is odd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

1999 called - it wants its silver electronic devices back!

Joking aside, it looks great, though a non-tactile home button would be a disaster and I'm amazed someone would think this a good idea.

Dades wrote: »
    1999 called - it wants its silver electronic devices back!

Joking aside, it looks great, though a non-tactile home button would be a disaster and I'm amazed someone would think this a good idea.
    yup, we can safely say that won't happen. iOS devices are herald by the accessibility community as being the go to devices.

I still love the two tone back look of the 5 & 5s and would be a little disappointed to see them go the iPad Mini look on the back. Not really taking much notice of renders, they are mostly looking the same. Still waiting for a blurry leaked image of the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Is this 6 months away or expected sooner

The two tone back still looks odd to me, I love the phone in general though. Its very unlike Apple aesthetically. But if it needs to be there I have minimal objection to it. Would love a single material back though.

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    Is this 6 months away or expected sooner

Expected to be mid-late September I guess.

Advertisement