Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 6: News & Rumours

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Concept pics are just a bit of a diversion while we await *real* rumours.

Food for discussion in a discussion forum for those who are interested in what could/might be on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I really hope apple do something different with the iPhone 6. I have always been happy with my iPhones as they do what I want but I am getting seriously tempted by the HTC One M8. It just looks far more durable and impressive than the iPhone. The main thing putting me off the switch is leaving iOS. If the iPhone 6 fails to impress whenever it is released then I might be seriously swayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Jofspring wrote: »
    I really hope apple do something different with the iPhone 6. I have always been happy with my iPhones as they do what I want but I am getting seriously tempted by the HTC One M8. It just looks far more durable and impressive than the iPhone. The main thing putting me off the switch is leaving iOS. If the iPhone 6 fails to impress whenever it is released then I might be seriously swayed.

What exactly about the new One impresses you and why do you think it's far more durable than the 5s?

I've looked at a few drop test of it and it didn't fare any better than the 5s. In fact it fared worse as the screen shattered almost every time. I presume that's why htc are giving free screen repairs for the first 6 months in the States.

Also the iFixit tear down reveals the insides packed full of tape. Also it's unnecessarily large with with all that space taken up by the speakers and bezel, which in my mind is not very impressive.

The only thing that is mildly interesting is the ability to change the depth of field on photos and the camera filters. Although that kind of thing is available on all the new phones announced. I'm hoping the next iPhone will have something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I know someone who works for Apple (not in development, or anything related to new products). Part of their Twitter profile refers to them working for Apple. Last week they received a couple of dozen tweets within the space of a couple of hours from some nutter first off asking when the iPhone 6 would be released and how much it would cost. When he didn't receive an immediate response this guy then took to sending increasingly abusive messages.

It's fair to say some people really care about this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

brophs wrote: »
    I know someone who works for Apple (not in development, or anything related to new products). Part of their Twitter profile refers to them working for Apple. Last week they received a couple of dozen tweets within the space of a couple of hours from some nutter first off asking when the iPhone 6 would be released and how much it would cost. When he didn't receive an immediate response this guy then took to sending increasingly abusive messages.

It's fair to say some people really care about this stuff.

Hilarious considering 99% of Apple employees know the exact same as we do about upcoming products, even some of them manage to know less at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I don't understand this excitement and nonsense about release and cost. Apple releases work like clock work nearly all the time. September announcement and release with a base cost of €700. There ya go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Hitchens

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/iphone-6-1386230-Mar2014/

launch announced, 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hitchens wrote: »
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/iphone-6-1386230-Mar2014/

launch announced, 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens

There's no launch announced. It's all just speculation.

guil wrote: »
    There's no launch announced. It's all just speculation.
    wishful thinking on my behalf, I'm getting one - 5.5" :)

wishful thinking on my behalf, I'm getting one - 5.5" :)

Their might not even be a 5.5" model.

• Advertisement

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Their might not even be a 5.5" model.

drat it :mad: ........4.7" then :)

drat it :mad: ........4.7" then :)
    Might not be a 4.7", either!

Dades wrote: »
    Might not be a 4.7", either!

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
    - W.B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as much as I like the journal (worked with most of the team before) there's no way in hell they'd be first with actual solid information on this kind of thing.

as much as I like the journal (worked with most of the team before) there's no way in hell they'd be first with actual solid information on this kind of thing.

They've just used the article on MacRumors for it.

Taking ugly to a whole new level

martinhajek.png?w=704&h=676

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

I think it's nice enough tbh. Is this concept based on an old iPod design yeah?

Looks based on the iPod nano. Nice design but for a flagship phone it's not.

Do not like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Latest rumours have Apple launching 2 versions of iphone 6 in September.
    A 4.7inch and 5.5 inch.
    While I agree they'll launch 2 phones I can't see both of them being 4.7 or higher.
    Reckon the 6c will be 4inch and the 6s a 4.7inch.
    4.3 would be the sweet spot and Apple are not going to marginalise those who want to use their iphones one handed.
    I had the HTC One and it was an awesome phone but it was a relief to come back to the iphone 5 and be able to surf/read news etc one handed.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    Latest rumours have Apple launching 2 versions of iphone 6 in September.
    A 4.7inch and 5.5 inch.
    While I agree they'll launch 2 phones I can't see both of them being 4.7 or higher.
    Reckon the 6c will be 4inch and the 6s a 4.7inch.
    4.3 would be the sweet spot and Apple are not going to marginalise those who want to use their iphones one handed.
    I had the HTC One and it was an awesome phone but it was a relief to come back to the iphone 5 and be able to surf/read news etc one handed.

They can achieve the bigger screen without losing the one handed usability by reducing the bezel etc and increase the actual phone size slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

that would be nice..I'd like edge to edge..but it would be a helluva lot more fragile as well.
    I'm hoping for 4.3 although I'd probably go for the bigger one :)

I'd have thought it should be possible to better design apps to be used one-handed, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't know about you guys but the 5S is really as big as I can go one-handed. It's a bit of a struggle to reach the top corner when using it with one hand. Any bigger is definitely a two handed device.

Dades wrote: »
    I'd have thought it should be possible to better design apps to be used one-handed, too.

Definitely. And with swipe back from the side rather than a back button in the top corner, helps this too. I think we know that Apple will have thought of every option and come up with the best one in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I dunno, I could probably stretch my thumb to a 4.5", 4.7 is the bezel was reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

On a 5s I can just put my thumb about half an inch to the left of the top left corner if that makes sense. If the phone gets much bigger I dunno if I could use it one handed and reach the whole screen.

I used to be a devout subscriber to this 'the iPhone has to be able to be used in one hand' and I still think that it should be, but not 100% of the time.

Since iOS 7, the introduction of the backwards swipe has negated my need to stretch all the way to the top left of the phone. the top right where an add or compose button would be added is always a quick tap with my right thumb and rare that I'd need to go to do that.

I'd say Apple could easily increase to 4.7" if they went bezel free (which I don't think I'd like).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Latest renders

Very similar to earlier ones and follows the bezel less rumours. That design is gorgeous IMO.

Advertisement