Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pubs closed during the day

• 17-02-2014 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey,

I'm currently reccie-ing locations for a film and we we're looking for great Dublin city centre pubs that are full of character but closed during the bulk of the day. The scenes take place in the morning time and we want to disrupt their custom as little as possible.

Any suggestions welcome. I really don't mind visiting all of them :D

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most pubs with characters are opening from when they can serve which is 10.30 am Monday to Saturday and 12.30pm on a Sunday(Irish licensing laws). You could always shot on a Sunday since bars dont open until 12.30pm. Or you might find an early house around the fruit market closed after lunch. I know some of them close late in the day but Im not sure which ones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Best pub for filming I've ever seen is the gravediggers in Glasnevin. Extremely quiet in the mornings and it's hidden away in a culdesac with a small green in front and loads of parking. No passing traffic whatsoever, and because it's an old area there's very little residential activity. It is also probably the most characterful pub I've been to in a long time. On the downside ( for you), it's been filmed a lot. The old smithwicks ads with famous football players were done there, and more recently the mrs browns boys movie and a well known chef have used it for background. The fact that it's part of the cemetery walls and it has it's own firing range have helped a lot.
    Another one I'd recommend checking out is the hole in the wall, beautiful little place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

why don't you build one,you can pick up old bars and other parts at auctions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NehsiqsTX1A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Long Hall on Sth Gt George's St. I think they don't open until 4pm Mon-Thur.

Not your ornery onager

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Howl at the moon doesn't open until 4pm on Thursday. Close Monday to Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Dean swift in francies street closes some mornings,think it's Tuesdays ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Bull and Castle beerhall is closed during the day and has lots of character (not quite traditional Irish though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Could try the welcome Inn on parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

There is a pub at the bridge in Islandbridge beside the Phoenix park called the Black and Amber. It has been closed for many years but has been used in several films as it is still in tact. Not sure who owns it but it's worth a look. Can I have two tickets for the premiere please, and I'll need overnight accomadation. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The Cobblestone, L. Mulligan Grocer and Frank Ryan's all stay closed until late afternoon most days.

Damn them...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most pubs close for all of Good Friday, so if you think you can get the shoot done in a day, most pubs would be fecking delighted to get some cash in that day.

Some of them open for breakfast/lunch that day, but most don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Brogans on Dame street beside the Olympia is closed until 6pm weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gumbo1 wrote: »
    gumbo1 wrote: »
    So you said twice - more than an hour apart.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've been on video shoots during the day in both The Mercantile and in the cellar of The Stags Head.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Esel wrote: »
    So you said twice - more than an hour apart.....

Whoopsie

Advertisement