Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Feature in Irish Times regarding Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

comeraghs wrote: »
    http://waterfordvikingtriangle.com/

& a bit more that might "motivate" you to be a bit more positive in your outlook!

This Viking triangle is laughable, is that all the city has to offer visitors & natives?

Why aren't we promoting the countryside & seaside areas? Stradbally? Annestown? Bonmahon? The city centre is finished, the council saw to that a long time ago. What they need to do now is get people out to these areas instead of sending them to Waterford crystal, a museum & then letting them off on their tour bus to spend their money in Cork & other such cities around Ireland. The arse has fallen out of Waterford. No shops, little or no pubs, a run down city centre. It saddens me to see the city has become what it has.

You can call me negative or pessimistic but I'd rather think of myself as a realist. Go to Killenny & Wexford & see how they're dealing with the recession. Both towns are flying. As the hub of the south east Waterford is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Motivator wrote: »
    Nail on the head. It's laughable the amount of people around the place who think Waterford is some sort of utopia. The reality is the place is an absolute kip. The council should be held accountable for the city rotting from the inside out. It's an utterly depressing city & has been for a good few years now. I'm all for positive thinking but Jesus it's hard to put a positive spin on the city these days.

Internationally respected organisations like the Financial Times don’t rate absolute kips as number one in Europe for FDI investment potential. It’s a ridiculous thing to say and quite frankly if you can’t find anything positive in Waterford I think you are depressed.

spookwoman wrote: »
    The strikes in the past have been a big blow and its still remembered sometimes with pride. Not to mention the college, the cronyism and the expense problems regarding WIT etc. On the visual side coming over that bridge is not pretty and same along the quay. Remember when someone comes to check the place out for possible business they will also see how the place looks because they will send their own to move in . Also people from outside of waterford will want to come to work and live here and if the place looks like a dump, public transport not the best thats another black mark. Think waterford people need to get their heads out of the sand and look at the negative posts cause if they see waterford this way then others will too. Something needs to be done by waterford to help bring people in.

What the hell is this only a negative post spouting the standard we’re not good enough waffle you get in Waterford. Not a thing in this post has any relation to or explains what I wrote about in my first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I think Waterford is a very nice place.I quite like the quayside, the cliffs overlooking the city and the nice architecture around the mall area.The people make the place in my opinion.Waterford is a very friendly place langers from places like Cork and Kilkenny are more than welcome!Outside of Cork i wouldn't swap Waterford with any other part of Ireland.I like the fact that it's a very genuine place.It doesn't have the touristy and artsy fartsy facade that Galway has and it's all the better for it.All the old city needs is just a bit of investment and tender loving care.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

BBM77 and Comeraghs so we've got the viking triangle the museum etc but what is there for the ordinary person who lives here or plans on moving here? The place is a kip and the way people treat it shows home much they really care, the nature park is great but there is serious issues with dog fouling through out the whole city. There a bit of a plaza at the end of the quay next to the Hotel which is used a lot by skate boarders, you have to travel to to the retail parts etc to get anything, there is nothing in the city to make people want to go in. If I want to go anywhere and really enjoy myself with scenery I go to Dunmore, Tramore and beyond. Have you noticed any pictures of the quay are from a distance and don't show the carparks and all the tourism shots are mainly of the Reg. Feck sake lads people go out and take pictures of the new bridge cause its looks better, there not many knocking around of the city center during a normal day and I think those are from the 1960's.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    BBM77 and Comeraghs so we've got the viking triangle the museum etc but what is there for the ordinary person who lives here or plans on moving here? The place is a kip and the way people treat it shows home much they really care, the nature park is great but there is serious issues with dog fouling through out the whole city. There a bit of a plaza at the end of the quay next to the Hotel which is used a lot by skate boarders, you have to travel to to the retail parts etc to get anything, there is nothing in the city to make people want to go in. If I want to go anywhere and really enjoy myself with scenery I go to Dunmore, Tramore and beyond. Have you noticed any pictures of the quay are from a distance and don't show the carparks and all the tourism shots are mainly of the Reg.
    Sweet Jesus what are you on about? Littering and dog fouling is a problem all over the country however Waterford is always at or near the top of street cleanness leagues. Skate boarders in public places are a problem in all urban areas. All cities have out of town retails parks. The pictures of the Quays are from a distance because that is how you take pictures of large areas.
    Feck sake lads people go out and take pictures of the new bridge cause its looks better, there not many knocking around of the city center during a normal day and I think those are from the 1960's.
    Whatttt :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

200motels wrote: »
    Very interesting read and a lot of valid points, I believe that our 4 muppets of TD's are doing nothing for the City as 3 of them are from the County and don't give a hoot about our City, I'm not a fan of Martin Cullen but at least he got something's done. We have local elections coming up and we'll hear a load of bull from them but I won't be buying it and we need new blood to run our City and vote out those that are there as most are useless.
    what EXACTLY did Martin Cullen do?? (besides sitting at a cabinet table and implementing and supporting unsustainable economic policies which helped destroy this country and put tens of thousands on the dole/emigrant plane)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

He made it possible for us to get to Dublin faster...(or get dubs to Waterford faster if you want to look at it that way)

He made it possible for us to get to Dublin faster...(or get dubs to Waterford faster if you want to look at it that way)

Oh please...stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Well I was being facetious...there are some very odd people posting in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Their is so they're is,there all mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

A trick that is definitely missed tourism wise is the coast line. You bring a bus load of Americans who don't live anywhere near a coast along what Waterford has to offer and they will love it. Its part of what sells the whole west of Ireland. Places like Dunmore are gems that are not fully exploited by those working the US tour market. They are all too quickly bussed into the Crystal Factory and off again before seeing anything else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thomasm wrote: »
    A trick that is definitely missed tourism wise is the coast line. You bring a bus load of Americans who don't live anywhere near a coast along what Waterford has to offer and they will love it. Its part of what sells the whole west of Ireland. Places like Dunmore are gems that are not fully exploited by those working the US tour market. They are all too quickly bussed into the Crystal Factory and off again before seeing anything else.

I've been saying it for years,
    Waterford only had interest in the glass, as a city and county its undersold its other attractions in relation to the coastline and the county/city's history.

Its only since the glass closed on the cork road that stuff like the tri-colour celebration has come about,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I don't think Waterford is a Kip.
    Don't see my self or my family moving away from Waterford. Waterford is so close to other attractions which people have pointed out. I don't mind loading up the car and go to tramore.

In fact i like it nice a quite, i would not like it to return to the old tiger days. All busy, people running around, boy racers reving their cars, no one having time for anyone.

BadCharlie wrote: »

In fact i like it nice a quite, i would not like it to return to the old tiger days. All busy, people running around, boy racers reving their cars, no one having time for anyone.

Yeah they were awful times, people had jobs & disposable income. Pubs, restaurants & shops were thriving. God forbid we ever returned to those times.

Dear god.

Yeah they were awful times, people had jobs & disposable income. Pubs, restaurants & shops were thriving. God forbid we ever returned to those times.

Dear god.

Do you not think you picked a bad name for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Dear god.

And what did we have before the Tiger? Was their life before the Tiger?

I don't want to stoop to your level and take a posters message out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just a small point folks - the Celtic Tiger lasted between 1995 and 2000. During that time we'd almost double digit annual growth - which is what is known as a 'Tiger Economy'.

During 2001-2007 we still had steady economic growth, but only about half the rate we had during the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ken McCarthy

It is all too easy to be a critic and bandy about what is wrong with a place rather than recognise and appreciate what is right.

I am not from Waterford myself but have found myself living here on three different occasions. I like the city and I think that while there are lots of parts that could be better what is here is pretty good and is getting better.

The quay looks and is an impressive streetscape and the pedestrianised sections of the city centre offer a pleasant shopping environment, true it would be great if there were more shops but the recession has had an impact on more than just Waterford and many other towns and cities suffer the same difficulties.

The Viking Triangle is an impressive attraction and together with the House of Waterford Crystal and Medieval Museum, is an example of what can be achieved with the right mindset. The Spraoi, Harvest and Winterval festivals are all well run and enjoyable and the staging of the Tall Ships was second to none.

WIT hopefully will get recognised for it's strengths and become the South East Technological University and bring with it the potential spin-offs and benefits that a university affords.

The infrastructure mentioned in the article is commendable and the train and bus services are also worthy of mention. I have not used the airport so I can't comment on that but the fact that it is there at all has to be positive as is the port both on the city quays and at Belview.

If there is one problem that I do see in Waterford it is the cynical attitude that is pervasive and where locals feel put upon by Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork or Dublin (delete as appropriate). The sense of paranoia and the endless conspiracy theories that abound would be funny if people did not take them so seriously.

So why not try and be more positive and recognise what we have got that is good rather than just constantly running the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I wouldn't worry too much about Frank McDonald. He has always been anti-car and would probably prefer us all to revert back to pony & trap.
    Waterford City is nothing remotely like the negative place referred to by some of the locals on this thread.
    Hopefully WIT will get university status soon and both Waterford City & South Kilkenny will get politicians interested in jointly improving the area for both counties.

• Advertisement

If people don't believe the town is in the toilet then I suggest they take a walk around the city centre in a Friday evening, Saturday morning & Sunday afternoon. Prime shopping days in the city & days where one would expect to see a crowd & a bit of buzz. Sadly this isn't the case. Walk in around city square & Michael st. These are areas of the town which were once busy but are now desolate. The city council should be held accountable instead of being praised. People are talking about positivity, ask the staff in Debenhams & Dunnes stores are they positive about things. Last Sunday in Dunnes the upstairs department took in a grand total of €100. How depressing is that? Debenhams are struggling in the same way. Waterford people aren't frequenting the city centre & who could blame them? The quay is a disgrace, the cost of parking in town is a disgrace & the way the town looks is a disgrace. People may not want to believe it but it's the truth. Why would anyone visit Waterford in it's current state? The fitzwilton is closing & the grand is closed in Tramore. Waterford has become a black hole & what was once an attractive city has become an out & out kip. Looking back at the tall ships 3 years ago, it was a wonderful week & everyone seemed to forget their troubles, 3 years on I wonder how many of the many thousands of visitors have returned? I'd say the percentage is very very low. Waterford had the chance to be put on the map on an national & international scale but sadly the council missed their chance.

If people don't believe the town is in the toilet then I suggest they take a walk around the city centre in a Friday evening, Saturday morning & Sunday afternoon. Prime shopping days in the city & days where one would expect to see a crowd & a bit of buzz. Sadly this isn't the case. Walk in around city square & Michael st. These are areas of the town which were once busy but are now desolate. The city council should be held accountable instead of being praised. People are talking about positivity, ask the staff in Debenhams & Dunnes stores are they positive about things. Last Sunday in Dunnes the upstairs department took in a grand total of €100. How depressing is that? Debenhams are struggling in the same way. Waterford people aren't frequenting the city centre & who could blame them? The quay is a disgrace, the cost of parking in town is a disgrace & the way the town looks is a disgrace. People may not want to believe it but it's the truth. Why would anyone visit Waterford in it's current state? The fitzwilton is closing & the grand is closed in Tramore. Waterford has become a black hole & what was once an attractive city has become an out & out kip. Looking back at the tall ships 3 years ago, it was a wonderful week & everyone seemed to forget their troubles, 3 years on I wonder how many of the many thousands of visitors have returned? I'd say the percentage is very very low. Waterford had the chance to be put on the map on an national & international scale but sadly the council missed their chance.

I'd say your some craic in the pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nail on the head. It's laughable the amount of people around the place who think Waterford is some sort of utopia. The reality is the place is an absolute kip. The council should be held accountable for the city rotting from the inside out. It's an utterly depressing city & has been for a good few years now. I'm all for positive thinking but Jesus it's hard to put a positive spin on the city these days.

why don't you move away then instead of spreading your misery here and elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I'd say your some craic in the pub!

All very valid points though

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

cant argue with that really..as sad reading as it is,its pretty much the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Have a look through the Tidy town marks and comments, some good points but dereliction and closed stored mentioned. As for pictures of the quay "its how to take pictures of large area's". I beg to differ, the few pictures out there they point at the buildings, clock town, plaza and leave out the car parks. The reason why large landscape from a distance is there is little to photograph or see on the river side of the quay or what it really is like. You wonder why I mention this, many people will look up on the internet for pictures of a place before they visit and for a city there is next to nothing to showcase it.
    Visit http://www.waterfordtourism.com it's the same links not working or very poor quality. Its like the city has just given up or doesn't give a sh*t and if you don't bury your head in the sand like the others it turns on you.

Asking people to move away that's really going to help the city and is probably why businesses are shutting up shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

Max Powers wrote: »
    why don't you move away then instead of spreading your misery here and elsewhere

yeah thats the answer.:rolleyes:

dzilla wrote: »
    All very valid points though

Repeated ad nauseam is the problem. Look at his posts in all threads he's boring the ass off me.

Of course the one thing nobody had pointed out in all this is, there are now two Waterford's the old one that has and I say this with some trepidation a customer base that is on the lower economic rungs of the ladder and the Dunmore rd area which is on the other end.
    This is not a good situation but it is a fact whether we like it or not our shopping product has been split in two by bad planning decisions.
    When I was a kid you went to town to shop or for the laugh now I drive to the handiest supermarket off the ring road or DIY etc.
    So what you are seeing is middle to top end shops in town want to move to the Dunmore road further weakening the centre, Bodega opening a second restaurant in Ardkeen soon as a case in point.

• Advertisement

cant argue with that really..as sad reading as it is,its pretty much the truth.

No it's not, the Fitzwilton is borrowed to the bollix and could not pay it back ever, the Grand has been milked for years with little or no reinvestment and I could pick holes in the rest as well.
    It's defeatist drivel from a moaner who is only happy when he isn't like a few of the bees buzzing around the honeypot that is Waterford City boards.

Advertisement