Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills far too high for electricity usage

Options
  • 17-02-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, apologies in advance for the very long post.

Two years ago I moved house and into an almost identical property, (a small three-roomed granny flat). The only difference between the two flats is that the new one has two night storage heaters. I have lived in buildings with these heaters previously and never had any issues as I know how to use them correctly. But since the move my bills, including summer months when the heaters have been switched off completely, have skyrocketed. My daily usage has not changed at all, yet when averaged out, my bills have increased by up to 150% on the previous flat. While I am aware that prices have increased over the last couple of years, they have not increased by that amount.

It has taken a lot of analysing but I think the reason for the price difference is that the new property has a dual tariff meter installed and I am on the domestic nightsaver price plan. I thought that this was standard for any property/premises that uses night storage heating. I was also unaware that it meant higher daytime unit prices and standing charges to allow for the reduced rate at night time. It is only in the last week, after receiving another ridiculously high bill, that I began researching and realised this isn't necessarily the norm and that there can be a separate meter solely for night storage heaters.

On the Electric Ireland website it says that the nightsaver plan is only beneficial to customers who use at least 22% of their total usage within the night saver hours. I wouldn't come anywhere close to that amount as I work daytime Mon-Fri and am usually in bed by 11, just when the cheaper electricity rate would kick in.

I want to know is there any way that I can have the dual tariff meter removed and replaced with a standard 24 hour meter and a dedicated night storage heating meter? I believe that this is much better suited to my electricity usage. And if this is possible to do, what cost would be involved? Or is there another option available to me? I am at a loss as to what else to do. All I know is that I am struggling and cannot continue to pay the high bills and need something to change soon. I am happy to PM account details and any other information that might be required.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Beccerelda,

Thanks for getting in touch with this query. Was this recommended for you by an electrician? Your storage heater meter is wired for a Dual tariff meter, and would be suited for storing heat during the night hours when the unit rate is cheaper.

If you were to revert your meter to a single phase meter with a separate night storage heater meter, then there would be charges involved, and two separate standing charges would be in place. After first having the storage heater rewired by an electrician, a cert would need to be submitted to ESB Networks before a callout could be arranged.

If you would like to PM us with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number, we can look into this further for you. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 20 beccerelda

Hi Beccerelda,

Thanks for getting in touch with this query. Was this recommended for you by an electrician? Your storage heater meter is wired for a Dual tariff meter, and would be suited for storing heat during the night hours when the unit rate is cheaper.

If you were to revert your meter to a single phase meter with a separate night storage heater meter, then there would be charges involved, and two separate standing charges would be in place. After first having the storage heater rewired by an electrician, a cert would need to be submitted to ESB Networks before a callout could be arranged.

If you would like to PM us with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number, we can look into this further for you. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Hi Aoife,

Thank you for the swift response. I can confirm that I am the account holder. This meter wasn't recommended to me. It is a rented property so the meter was already in place when I moved in. I am at work at the moment so don't have the account number to hand. I will PM that and the other requested details this evening.

Beccerelda

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dodo bear

Hi
    Apologies if i am writing in the wrong place.
    I have been living in my 2 bed apartment for 3 months now. And recieved a bill for the last 2 months of €470 We have 3 storage heaters the we have on a high setting at night to take in heat and at a low setting to let out heat gradually during the day. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for a 2 month bill? If so can anyone give advise on how to use these heaters to lower bill, because for me this is outragous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Dodo bear,

Is the bill estimated or based on a reading?

There is information on storage heaters linked to in my signature also.

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi una
    When we rang we were told it was not an estimation. So i am very concerned. Realistically we will have to turn all heaters off if this is what they are going to cost. Im just quite concerned about when the winter comes around again. This is our first time renting and dealing with storage heaters, but we did not expect this. when we registered with electric ireland they did not ask for a meter reading, so could it be possible that we could be paying for the previous tenents bill. We have spoken to others and they have said you would spend less heating a five bed house!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Dodo bear,

Is this your first or second bill since you registered with Electric Ireland? If it is the second, was the first bill estimated or based on a reading?

Did you register directly with Electric Ireland or was the registration carried out on your behalf by a letting agency?

You would just be billed from the date you moved in. A bill issued to the previous occupant cannot be transferred to another name; only the person in whose name the bill is would be liable for it.

Regards,
    Una

Hi una
    Yes this is our second bill our first was an estimated bill of €67 for 20 days. Our second bill was a reading, and was €457. So over the 3 month period we are living there, we have paid a total of € 524.Which seems really expensive for a couple who are not there all day and only home at 7 oclock each night and later some nights. Does this bill seem like the norm for a 2 bed apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Dodo bear,

There wouldn't be a typical usage we can compare this to, as every household is different. If you send us a PM with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number we'll be happy to take a look at your account. Please also confirm if you are the account holder.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement