Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's house alarm won't stop going off - help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

thesiren wrote: »
    Thanks - I did speak to the gards, but they (along with everyone I spoke to - even An Post) said that they couldn't give out the owner's details, and they would only speak to her themselves if the property had been broken into.

How tempting is it to break a window in the house:D? Please don't though or else I'll be blamed and in loads of trouble. :eek:

I find it difficult to understand why they won't phone her themselves to report the facts and ask her to a) sort it out or b) if its ok for them to pass on her phone number or give yours to her and it could be sorted out from there.
    If the house had been flooded or some such other incident then you'd be praised for going to such lengths to get in touch with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

That's a civil matter. The only thing the Gaurds can do is investigate if there's a crime.

I accept that its a civil matter but surely the noise pollution can't go ignored by everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

How tempting is it to break a window in the house:D? Please don't though or else I'll be blamed and in loads of trouble. :eek:

I find it difficult to understand why they won't phone her themselves to report the facts and ask her to a) sort it out or b) if its ok for them to pass on her phone number or give yours to her and it could be sorted out from there.
    If the house had been flooded or some such other incident then you'd be praised for going to such lengths to get in touch with her.

My housemate said he wished he had broken a window just to get some action taken... But too late now as it has finally been reported to the correct garda station.

And yes, if I owned a house and the alarm had gone off for such a long time, I would be mortified that I was ruining the neighbours' quality of life, and would want to be informed immediately. I do not understand why it's seemingly impossible to inform the owner what is going on...and my biggest fear is, what if she doesn't come back next week - how long is this alarm likely to keep going? Can they continue making perpetual noise for more than a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I accept that its a civil matter but surely the noise pollution can't go ignored by everyone?

It's not in the Garda remit
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1702&Lang=1

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Noise/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

djimi wrote: »
    So youre saying that its not their job to investigate a potential crime that has been reported?
    It is but they are a useless police force who fail to do lots of things that fall within their remit. Not a patch on even the most inept UK police force I'm sad to say. They will do absolutely nothing about a report of a burglar alarm going off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

It's not in the Garda remit

From your first link, first sentence:
    If you would like to report a noise complaint immediately you can ring your local Garda Station ...

Seems like they want you to ring them.

I presume the rest refers to constant noise (i.e. from a factory / night club ... etc)

From your first link, first sentence:

Seems like they want you to ring them.

I presume the rest refers to constant noise (i.e. from a factory / night club ... etc)

That would be more for a loud party or something along those lines. An alarm going off constantly counts as persistant noise (as per the garda link), and should be dealt with as per the Department of Environment's link. Granted there is no section dealing with absentee landlords/homeowners but it's not a garda issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

What kind of an alarm is it? Usually alarm companies install a box on the outside with their name on it so you could contact them and ask them to contact the owner? I feel for ya OP :( Dealing with that constant noise is torture :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Have you a friend with a ladder? only way the issue will be resolved, I'm afraid.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    What kind of an alarm is it? Usually alarm companies install a box on the outside with their name on it so you could contact them and ask them to contact the owner? I feel for ya OP :( Dealing with that constant noise is torture :(

Hi, it's a company called 'DH Alams'. I looked them up online - they don't even exist :( I don't know if maybe they have now become a different company but there isn't even a number on the box. It's horrible. I am actually dreading going home to deal with this and with a miserable cat who can't escape the noise. I can't even go stay with my parents because they live in the UK and can't afford to put the cat in kennels and stay in a hotel just to survive the week

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Have you a friend with a ladder? only way the issue will be resolved, I'm afraid.

Sounds like the external alarm has stopped but the internal alarm is still going off.

Sounds like the external alarm has stopped but the internal alarm is still going off.

Then the Op is out of (legal) options. I am not condoning breaking the law, but if it was happening me, I would pull their main ESB fuse.
    OP, do not attempt this, its an offense to interfere with the ESB property, and to be honest, as you have put up with the noise for a few days now, you probably do not have the skills to do this without killing yourself.
    If I lived near you, I would help, but I'm 80 miles away.

Found this for DH Alarms
    http://www.quickfinddirectories.co.uk/dh-alarms-and-cctv-solutions

Apparently this has happened before
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53476098
    Don't know if it's the same property though.

Found this for DH Alarms
    http://www.quickfinddirectories.co.uk/dh-alarms-and-cctv-solutions

Apparently this has happened before
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53476098
    Don't know if it's the same property though.

Birmingham phone number....

Birmingham phone number....

Yes, the previous thread from 7 years ago also couldn't find an Irish DH alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

djimi wrote: »
    An alarm like this (that doesnt shut itself off after a period of time) is illegal now under EU law is it not? Maybe thats the angle to pursue with the Gardai.
    The law only applies to newly fitted alarms, IIRC.

=-=

OP; is the noise coming from an alarm on the outside, or the inside? Also, do you play football?

That is massively suspicious - an alarm company but no registration details for Ireland? I can't ring them from work as we're only allowed to make local calls here.

I also wonder if that other post is about the same property!

Does anyone know if these internal alarms eventually 'burn themselves out' or stop making noise at some point? Our own alarm, if it goes on for more than an hour, eventually just quietens down and stops.

the_syco wrote: »
    The law only applies to newly fitted alarms, IIRC.

=-=

OP; is the noise coming from an alarm on the outside, or the inside? Also, do you play football?

Hiya,

It was initially a really loud noise from outside but now sounds like it is inside the property but so loud that it is radiating out.

I don't play football but live very near to a sort of fake football pitch that's used by local kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks can you stop alluding to illegal acts here please. We do not want to see talk of cutting ESB lines, breaking windows 'accidentally on purpose' etc etc.
    This is a one time warning - any further posts that fall under this will incur infractions.

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

sounds like a nightmare !! hope you get sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Have you tried contacting the Environmental dept of the Council.Could the ESB cut the power in the meter box.

It seems from this that any alarm company in the UK can disconnect any nuisance alarms.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/neighbours-burgler-alarm-going-off-owt-i-can-do

Its just a tad irresponsible of her to be switching on alarms for days/weeks on end and not leaving her contact details with anyone.I would take that noise pollution case against her.

thesiren wrote: »
    I also wonder if that other post is about the same property!

It's possible. The OP from that thread isn't active (last post was 4 years ago) but it's not a closed account. You could try PM'ing them and see if it notifies them by email. A long shot but no real harm in trying.

OP, will a Google search throw up any old ads for the sale of the house? from daft or MyHome? Is this a development built in the last 10 years? If so, can you ask ant others in the development which agency sold the development originally, and go to them for a owners number, or ask them to ring and leave a message ? Lots of agencies closed or merged, but hopefully something will turn up. Can you or a flatmate intercept the postman, and at least try and get the owners Christian and surnames from a letter?

OP,a more recent thread here about the same issue from only a few months back.Some good info.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056991404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

My boyfriend neighbour's internal alarm went off for two weeks late last year and nobody could do anything, we had to endure it for two whole weeks until they came back from holiday.

They had left their upstairs windows open/slightly ajar which is what caused the alarm to go off in the first place.

The guards were called numerous times, by various neighbours and each time they came out and checked the house, went in the side entrance and had a look around but unfortunately nothing could be done.

Have you any friends or work-mates you could stay with for a few days? Could you even try the local letting agencies and see if they may be responsible for letting the property and may contact the owner for you?

It's absolutely horrible having to listen to such a piercing sounds 24/7.

OP, will a Google search throw up any old ads for the sale of the house? from daft or MyHome? Is this a development built in the last 10 years? If so, can you ask ant others in the development which agency sold the development originally, and go to them for a owners number, or ask them to ring and leave a message ? Lots of agencies closed or merged, but hopefully something will turn up. Can you or a flatmate intercept the postman, and at least try and get the owners Christian and surnames from a letter?

Hi there, I tried doing a search online and the only ads I can find are for my own place and the house next door, there's absolutely nothing else for any property in the cul-de-sac I live in. One thing I did find was a bunch of trademarks/ads registered to someone who lived in the property between 5-10 years ago, but I can't find any current details for the person.

Regarding postmen: I would have to take time off work, so would my housemate, and that's not feasible unfortunately (also, I think I would actually go mad if I had to stay in that house any longer than necessary at the moment)

In the link I gave above,one poster said that the guards sorted it for them by getting an alarm company to enter the property and deactivate the alarm.

Another poster said that this crowd sorted it for them.
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/psaContact?openform

In the link I gave above,one poster said that the guards sorted it for them by getting an alarm company to enter the property and deactivate the alarm.

Another poster said that this crowd sorted it for them.
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/psaContact?openform

Thanks for that - I'm a bit confused though regarding phone numbers and surnames on that link, would you know which one is the right number?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, you say you got the reg plate of the builder's car right? Can you ring the gardai, they can trace the builder and then get the builder to give the gardai the owner's contact details and the gardai can contact the owner?

Or could they not just look up the Local Property Tax database and get the property owner's contact details off that as they would have to pay LPT .... ? I dunno if the gardai would actually do this - you might have better luck getting the Dept of the Environment to try the LPT route for you.

Or maybe just ring the LPT helpline yourself and they might contact the owner for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

....Could the ESB cut the power in the meter box.

No point, most alarm systems have a battery back up, so it will just keep going.
    Have you never noticed when there is a power cut how some house alarms go off.

Advertisement