Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's house alarm won't stop going off - help!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

This happened just before Xmas a good few years ago in an apartment block I live in.

I am not condoning this but after days of unmerciful screeching and dozens of people unable to sleep, 2 neighours made a forced entry (it wasnt very forced, a balcony door was unlocked, they climbed over from their balcony and just walked in), and removed the speaker from the internal alarm. They left a note explaining what they did. New tenants moved in the following month. That was probably 7 years ago now.

The rest of us neighbours had agreed to share the blame for forced entry should anything come of it with the Guards etc, but nothing ever came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

thesiren wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'm a bit confused though regarding phone numbers and surnames on that link, would you know which one is the right number?

Id say try the 'other enquiries' number 062 31731.

If they wont help,you could ask the Gardai if they would give permission for an alarm company to enter the property to deactivate the alarm.Although you might need to contact a locksmith aswell.Then bring the invoices to your neighbour when she's back.Thats the least she should pay for mental torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

Id say try the 'other enquiries' number 062 31731.

If they wont help,you could ask the Gardai if they would give permission for an alarm company to enter the property to deactivate the alarm.Although you might need to contact a locksmith aswell.Then bring the invoices to your neighbour when she's back.Thats the least she should pay for mental torture.

Brilliant, thanks for this. I will ring that company in a bit (snowed under at work here, as well as with phoning loads of people) and I dare say my housemate will be only too pleased to get the gards to accompany an alarm company and locksmith and invoice it to the bitch.

In an update, I have spent the day phoning numerous people as well as trying to do my own work, and the only 'glimmer' of hope was from the PRTB who said I can request the details of the landlady. However that could take a while because they only accept postal applications, from Cork of all places. I've sent off a letter after making a copy of it for my own records. I am also waiting for a call back tomorrow from a Noise Pollution representative, the man who was there when I rang isn't an expert but said that I can take a private prosecution against the landlady of the house for a cheap fee and he said he thinks I'd definitely win damages because it is an intolerable living situation.

I will also try the security number that Rhys gave me, and speak to the gards again later (or get my housemate to do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Oh the irony of calling yourself thesiren.beep beep ne naw.:D

• Advertisement

Oh the irony of calling yourself thesiren.beep beep ne naw.:D

Hah, I know! Mine was more from a literary/arts point of view but certainly ironic right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Could you stay a few nights at a B&B and send the bill to the landlady ? The only risk is she may very well decide not to cover the bill and you'd have to try and take legal action if you wanted to recover it. Honestly thought 40 quid a night for your sanity may well be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If there were signs of smoke or the smell of a gas leak the emergency services or gas company would HAVE to break in to ascertain that all was well. Just saying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If there were signs of smoke or the smell of a gas leak the emergency services or gas company would HAVE to break in to ascertain that all was well. Just saying.

Its people like you who have our emergency services run ragged chasing hoax calls. If you were in the UK- your post could earn you up to 51 weeks in jail (under the 2004 Act)- luckily for you, Ireland hasn't enacted legislation as draconian as that in the UK, yet.......

Anymore ridiculousness like this from you, or any other poster- and you will be banned from this forum, period.

Regards

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So literally nobody in the street knows the owner's name?

Also - how does she rent the house out? Have you tried googling the address to see if any old ads show up, or ringing local letting agents to see if they have ever had it on their books?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Bit of an update as I don't have a decent internet connection at home at the moment. The alarm was still going when I got home. I tried all the neighbours, the only one who wasn't there on Sunday night when it started had got home earlier that day and was able to get a phone number for her. I rang her and told her the situation, I was informed that someone would be out 'no later than an hour' to switch it off. Three hours later someone finally showed up (after me contacting her again). I cannot describe the relief. And then just as I was going to bed, it went off again, even louder than ever. I was in a terrible state, my cat went absolutely crazy, so myself and my housemate were straight onto her, apparently she doesn't understand why it is going off. We told her we wanted it disabled permanently, and someone did come out about 11pm to turn it off. We got an uninterrupted night's sleep, but unless this person who came out turned it off permanently, I think this could be a common occurrence until someone starts living in that property.

The Metro Herald did publish it this morning in their letters page (I used an assumed name), with a headline implying that they think it's ridiculous that data protection seems more important than common sense. I'll be interested to see what other readers think about it. But it bothers me to think that had the neighbour not been home yesterday (the one with her number), this would still be going on - and I would indeed be booking into a b&b!

Thank-you all for your supportive comments and suggestions, given that other sources (council etc) were no help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

thesiren wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bit of an update as I don't have a decent internet connection at home at the moment. The alarm was still going when I got home. I tried all the neighbours, the only one who wasn't there on Sunday night when it started had got home earlier that day and was able to get a phone number for her. I rang her and told her the situation, I was informed that someone would be out 'no later than an hour' to switch it off. Three hours later someone finally showed up (after me contacting her again). I cannot describe the relief. And then just as I was going to bed, it went off again, even louder than ever. I was in a terrible state, my cat went absolutely crazy, so myself and my housemate were straight onto her, apparently she doesn't understand why it is going off. We told her we wanted it disabled permanently, and someone did come out about 11pm to turn it off. We got an uninterrupted night's sleep, but unless this person who came out turned it off permanently, I think this could be a common occurrence until someone starts living in that property.

The Metro Herald did publish it this morning in their letters page (I used an assumed name), with a headline implying that they think it's ridiculous that data protection seems more important than common sense. I'll be interested to see what other readers think about it. But it bothers me to think that had the neighbour not been home yesterday (the one with her number), this would still be going on - and I would indeed be booking into a b&b!

Thank-you all for your supportive comments and suggestions, given that other sources (council etc) were no help at all.

Nice one Sinéad ;)

Advertisement