Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenna / mast in Clonard Park (Dundrum) house back garden

Options
  • 17-02-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Clonard Park area and knew the mast in the back garden of a house at the eastern end of the estate to see? Does anyone know what the mast is used for (i.e. UPC, radio, telecom, etc and is it a transmitter, receiver, repeater, etc)?

I have checked the COMREG website and Vodafone have a "site" in the grounds of the IMI off Sandyford Road. The services it provides include GSM, LTE and UMTS.

I was wondering, is there an error on the COMREG site and is the actual "site" they refer to in the garden of the house in Clonard. If not what function does the mast in Clonard satisfy?

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a house in the estate (only a few doors down from the discussed mast) and I just wonder about any health implications (or other) of living next to it. I know I can do the old knock on the door and ask the home-owner themselves thing but I just wanted to ask if anyone else knew anything about the mast.

(I've attached an image from Google Street View of the house with the mast out the back)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It would be worth asking in the hobby radio forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=922

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Considering that its on the grounds of the Mint, I imagine its a telecoms mast of some sort probably military.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it DN132 from Vodafone?

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp
    (Enter DN132 in the search by ID box)

(Update)
    Not DN132, the Easting and Northings don't match the shadow on Google Earth and it doesn't look like a mobile mast anyway
    The Shadow on Google Earth doesn't seem to come from the mint but from the corner of the IMI.
    Can't say for sure without my glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

ted1 - the antenna I am referring to is in a private back garden, not in the grounds of the Mint / IMI

josip - as I mentioned in my initial question I am aware of a Vodafone mast (DN132) from the COMREG site but its shown as being in the site on the Mint / IMI a few hundred metres away

From Bing Aerial view it definitely in someone's back garden.

2ah8eue.png

I've never seen such a large mast on residential property in a built up area before.

• Advertisement

Yep, sorry I'm editing as I go.
    The Comreg Northing is correct.
    The Easting is out by 2m but that's negligible.
    You can see what could be the shadow of DN132 at the mouse pointer here

24mhr29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if you rotate that view you'll see that the mast is not in a garden, its on its own L shaped plot which connects directly with the mint.

there is metal access door at the end of a path which is visible in JosIP picture.

also in the mint, there looks like there's a cable run from ore or less the same point.

294596.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

I appreciate all the help. Unfortunately it was all for nothing... House has gone for stupid money! Some father's buying the house for his (spoilt) son. No wonder the house prices are going crazy again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That's not a mobile telecoms tower, something else.
    Any health implications from mobile more likely to come from the transmitter that you hold against your head every time you make a call.

Advertisement