Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agency stalling to return the deposit

Options
  • 17-02-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I was renting a room on shared house (all three tenants where in the contract) through an agency.

On the 28th of January I moved and the same date the new tenant moved in.

Since then all i am getting from the agency is rude behavior and always ends with them saying we will call you to come and collect your check.

Of course they never do.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Was it a single lease to cover the entire property? Did you all pay your rent as one payment? If so the agency/landlord are not obliged to return a portion of the deposit to one tenant when they leave. The agency would either need to come over and carry out an inspection first, then return the entire deposit and draw up a new lease and take a new deposit from those who intend to remain, or (more likely what would happen) is you take your deposit from the incoming tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GeorgeT

djimi wrote: »
    Was it a single lease to cover the entire property? Did you all pay your rent as one payment? If so the agency/landlord are not obliged to return a portion of the deposit to one tenant when they leave. The agency would either need to come over and carry out an inspection first, then return the entire deposit and draw up a new lease and take a new deposit from those who intend to remain, or (more likely what would happen) is you take your deposit from the incoming tenant.

All three tenants where on the lease, and we all payed separately the deposit.
    The rent was going through one account, but as i said all three were on the contract.

The agency requested the deposit from the new tenant, and after all the papework done they said they would give me back my deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In that case it might be worth paying a visit to their office and camping there until they give you back your money. It can be a surprisingly effective tactic!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GeorgeT

djimi wrote: »
    In that case it might be worth paying a visit to their office and camping there until they give you back your money. It can be a surprisingly effective tactic!

On my way i guess to buy camping equipment!

Advertisement