Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ONLINE BILLING AND 13.5% INCREASES 2014

Options
  • 17-02-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi

When I signed up last year with EI I opted for DD but was not advised that if I also took out online billing that I would get a discount for that. I have just discovered this and want to know if I can avail of it as your representative that called did not tell me about it when I signed the dotted line. Does it affect his conmission.
    I would also query the price per unit which has risen by 13.5 % and not the 1.7% indicated in latest bill.
    Considering EE made a profit of  E212 mill in 2012  and is a Government Organisation this seems excessive. One could almost call it tax on tax. Altho the distribution market has opened a bit it would seem that the ESB  pretty well control everything so its still much of a monopoly.
    Likewise the PSO TAX (Not EEs doing but Gov of which they are a part) has jumped by - low and behold- also 13.5%. Am I wrong or is it unlawful for governements to levy tax on tax because this is what happens here.
    Maybe I have got the figures wrong. old age is forgetful and someone can correct me if I have.
    I have not addressed the Standing Charge yet and funny that comes out at 13.5% as well.
    Now I am a pensioner and if I got a yearly 13.5% rise in my income I would be over the moon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Good morning Bogjumper,

We regret you did not receive the information that you can avail of a 2% discount for online billing. Were you registered for online billing at the time?

The Electric Ireland unit price increase was announced in September and effective as of 1st January - it is an overall average increase of 1.7%. Details outlined here on the ESB Group press release.

If you private message us your account details, we can have a look at what price-plan you are on/what you could avail of. We require confirmation that you are the account-holder and your Electric Ireland account number/name/address/telephone number.

Thanks and regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bogjumper

Dear Una

Thank you for your reply and I will make separate contact. However the document that
    came with my latest bill shows 13.5% increase. Now I am in my 70s and maybe not as good with my maths as I used to be but these increases  I work out to be 13.5%. Please do the math for me and tell me if Im wrong. So your company ,if Im right, are hiding behind a load of fibsabout claiming a 1.7% increase. Why does the Tax PSO Levy have to go up by the same amount. Why do we pay tax on what is already a tax. This business of using the word levy
    fools no one. I know you personally are not responsible but your company is.Wait to hear from you. Sorry about the delay in replying but I only saw it just now.

Hi again Bogjumper,

No problem.

Here's some more general info (VAT @ 13.5%):

Once the price increase came into effect on 1st January, electricity charges for a typical Electric Ireland household would have increased on average by €1.25* (including VAT) per month (this applies to an urban 24-hour meter customer using 5,300 kWh per annum).

Unit rates increased by €0.10 per month (including VAT). (The standard unit rate before the increase, was €0.1699, excluding VAT; now it is €0.1701, excluding VAT). These are the unit prices you see on your bill.
    Standing charges increased by €1.15 per month (including VAT).

In addition, increased PSO charges added a further €1.42 per month (including VAT). This is set by the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) and applies to all energy providers.

*Note: An average figure of €1.50 was quoted in the price freeze press release in October, based on estimated figures only. The €1.25 is based
    on an actual calculation.

In order to give you a further breakdown in relation to your own specific bill, we would need to see your Electric Ireland account details as per my first post.

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi again Bogjumper,

No problem.

Here's some more general info (VAT @ 13.5%):

Once the price increase came into effect on 1st January, electricity charges for a typical Electric Ireland household would have increased on average by €1.25* (including VAT) per month (this applies to an urban 24-hour meter customer using 5,300 kWh per annum).

Unit rates increased by €0.10 per month (including VAT). (The standard unit rate before the increase, was €0.1699, excluding VAT; now it is €0.1701, excluding VAT). These are the unit prices you see on your bill.
    Standing charges increased by €1.15 per month (including VAT).

In addition, increased PSO charges added a further €1.42 per month (including VAT). This is set by the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) and applies to all energy providers.

*Note: An average figure of €1.50 was quoted in the price freeze press release in October, based on estimated figures only. The €1.25 is based
    on an actual calculation.

In order to give you a further breakdown in relation to your own specific bill, we would need to see your Electric Ireland account details as per my first post.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Hi Una

Lets put to onside a typical household and various plans. I say again the general increase shown including tax is 13.5% avereage. Am I right or wrong. ???
    PS for some reason altho I asked to be notified your replies are not coming to me
    and thats why my reply is 2 days later.
    Thanks

Hi again Bogjumper,

No problem at all. There's no rush on getting back to us.

In public we can advise in relation to the stats used to calculate averages. For an individual account query though, we would need to see the account itself to explain the calculation of a bill. There is no general answer in these cases because of variations between accounts, such as whether the meter is 24-hour or day/night, whether the bill has been based on a reading or was estimated, whether the customer is urban or rural, etc.

I am here until 6pm if you can private message your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/telephone number.

You can private message us via this link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=557013

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi Una

My account is a separate matter and thank you for the contact particulars. Im afraid
    though that you still have not answered my question.
    You state "In public we can advise in relation to the stats used to calculate averages."
    but fail to tell me  what they are.
    I ask again which is correct on that official EI document, the 1,7 % incease shouted
    to the rooftops or my calculation of 13.5%. increase.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Looks like there's a simple answer that you are both missing.
    If your with them a year your discount will have expired. There is no huge conspiracy.
    Move to a different supplier and back to EI when those discounts expiry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Bogjumper wrote: »
    Hi Una

My account is a separate matter and thank you for the contact particulars. Im afraid
    though that you still have not answered my question.
    You state "In public we can advise in relation to the stats used to calculate averages."
    but fail to tell me  what they are.
    I ask again which is correct on that official EI document, the 1,7 % incease shouted
    to the rooftops or my calculation of 13.5%. increase.

Thanks
    Or how about actually showing us your calculations to see if you are correct

Advertisement