Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antenna in Clonard Park, Dundrum, D16

• 17-02-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Clonard Park (Dundrum) area and knew the mast in the back garden of a house at the eastern end of the estate to see? Does anyone know what the mast is used for (i.e. UPC, radio, telecom, etc and is it a transmitter, receiver, repeater, etc)?

I was advised by a poster in another forum to consult the Hobby Radio forum. I have attached a picture of the antenna (apologies but it's a screengrab from google street view).

I am trying to find out what sort of antenna / mast it is as I am interested in purchasing a house 2-3 doors down but am concerned about any health / other issues related to living so close to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭useless

That very house was for sale a number of years ago. When I went to look at it the agent said it was an ESB mast.

However, I recall not seeing any kind of 'Danger- High Voltage' or 'Keep away' signs of that type, nor any logos of any kind (phone company, ESB or any other) on the fence or the mast itself, which made me think was unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There IS NO HEALTH issue with any "mast" or "pylon". The whole thing started by "NIMBY" people that don't like the appearance. There IS a risk sitting in front of a Radar dish (you likely get cateracts) or climbing across the aerial panel of a 10KW to 100KW TV transmitter (slow cooking).

There is no risk whatsover from masts with dishes no matter the power as the beam is very narrow and doesn't reach the ground till many km away at which point it's very low power.

There is LESS signal directly under a mobile phone mast or TV transmitter mast than 1km away as the aerial panels have "beam". Think how much light is on the ground immediately AT a car headlamp compared to 10m to 20m away.

It looks like it's a Microwave link (Line of Sight so has to be tall). ESB do have them as well as all the Mobile companies, some ISPs, Eircom for non-Mobile, UPC and other people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

so, now you know it's safe, use it as a bargaining tool to get 20k off the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Considering that its on the grounds of the Mint, I imagine its a telecoms mast of some sort probably military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Antenna

deaglan169 wrote: »
    something to do with upc possibly had better look on google streetview, has tv antenna and an old vhf tv antenna also, and mmds antennas ontop probably relayed uk tv years ago

The "old VHF TV antenna " to me appears to be an old high-gain FM radio antenna used for receiving BBC radio, I have seen a type in the past which resembles that blurry image.

move about on streetview gives a better view of the upper part of the mast

another view here:
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Clonard+Park,+Dundrum&hl=en&ll=53.274568,-6.233389&spn=0.000026,0.022638&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=8.341187,25.136719&oq=clonard+park+&hnear=Clonard+Park,+Dublin+16,+County+Dublin&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.274524,-6.233547&panoid=5nUV1KCgiENdJmHigIxp-w&cbp=12,61.92,,2,-22.56&z=16

Looks like there was a pair of high gain UHF TV at the very top though with one now broken off?

below that it looks like a pair of 'grid' TV aerials - vertically polarised.

Did the mast survive last Wednesday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I wonder, if you sneak another antenna just for ham use, would anyone notice? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

cfosulli wrote: »
    I am trying to find out what sort of antenna / mast it is as I am interested in purchasing a house 2-3 doors down but am concerned about any health / other issues related to living so close to it.

Your best bet is to knock on the door and ask out straight what the mast and aerials are for. This should clarify the situation.
    I have a mast in my garden and I would hate to think anyone was asking on forums what it was for instead of coming and asking me. Do your own donkey work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Clonard Park (Dundrum) area and knew the mast in the back garden of a house at the eastern end of the estate to see? Does anyone know what the mast is used for (i.e. UPC, radio, telecom, etc and is it a transmitter, receiver, repeater, etc)?

I was advised by a poster in another forum to consult the Hobby Radio forum. I have attached a picture of the antenna (apologies but it's a screengrab from google street view).

No idea what it's for but it's there years (probably 40+years). It's deffo not in anyone's back garden but an adjoining piece of land that's self contained and backs onto the Irish Management Institute, it has never been a part of the Mint. There's an entrance to it from Clonard Park. Was on the piece of land many times as a kid and in the small hut a number of times, all I remember was there were a few TV screens in there.

There used to be huge oil tanks on the adjoining land as well but a couple of small houses were built in place of that a number of years back. Maxol trucks used to come and go to these tanks all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

ted1 wrote: »
    Considering that its on the grounds of the Mint, I imagine its a telecoms mast of some sort probably military.

Deffo not on grounds of Mint, always separate.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Your best bet is to knock on the door and ask out straight what the mast and aerials are for. This should clarify the situation.
    I have a mast in my garden and I would hate to think anyone was asking on forums what it was for instead of coming and asking me. Do your own donkey work.

Deffo not in anyone's back garden either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Oh dear, I must be bringing down the house values around my area!

IMG_0547.jpg

Lucky im renting:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 QHY0924

Hi we are interesting in a house just two or three house down from this mast. We can't find any more information about it and whether it's safe to live in the house which is so close to. Just wonder if you have found any useful information at the end and whether it causes any safety or health issues? Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cfosulli

@QHY0924 - No I never did find out any more information on this antenna via this forum or any other source. Despite what one or two posters have said it IS in the back garden of one of the houses as opposed to being on the grounds of the Mint / Management College behind these properties.

We got outbid at the last minute on the property we were interested in so didn't look into it any further. (I see its back on the market again though so it never went through obviously). From searching the mapping for mobile phone masts I did find a transmitter is located on the grounds of the Management College. This is a different antenna to this one so it would appear its not a mobile phone mast in Clonard.

As an aside we ended up getting a place in Stillorgan and do you think I can get phone signal with 3?? Maybe we're now too far away from our nearest mast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 QHY0924

@cfosulli, thanks! Appreciate your quick response and best luck with your new home! Stillorgan is a very nice area but too expense for us :)

Advertisement