Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda Pay

• 17-02-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've searched these threads for an answer, but nothing seems to be up to date.

What is the pay for new gardai?

While in training is it €200 a week? Is it the same throughout the entire two years before being qualified?

The only info I could find is this:

http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

EDIT, answered most of my questions with that link!

For Phase 1 Student Training at the Garda College (22 weeks incl. 2 weeks leave) will receive a weekly allowance of €192.71. (An additional weekly sum of €69.68 goes direct to the Garda College for upkeep there)

Phase 2 Student Training is attached to a Garda Station (24 weeks incl. 2 weeks leave) - will receive a weekly allowance of €192.71 plus an allowance of €120.47 per week towards cost of living (e.g. to go towards cost of digs etc )

Phase 3 - Student Training at the Garda College (12 weeks) will receive the weekly allowance of €192.71 + the additional weekly sum of €69.68 that goes direct to the college for your upkeep there.

Last question, Would previously having worked for the public service bear any impact to your pay?

Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

That's the old system. No more phase 2 at stations. After phase 1 students will be attested and on full wages and assigned to permanent stations. What that figure is exactly has not been released yet but by looking at new nurses and teachers it will probably be 10-20% lower than before.

The training allowance while on phase 1 in Templemore will probably stay the same. Although nearly worse than social welfare recipients it designed to cover living expenses only and not meant to be a substitute for income. Fair or not is open to debate.

The slight advantage New recruits might have is when they are attested and the allowances are paid in their monthly "big cheque", they might not get deducted 50% in tax like current members as they might not cross the 35K threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

That's the old system. No more phase 2 at stations. After phase 1 students will be attested and on full wages and assigned to permanent stations. What that figure is exactly has not been released yet but by looking at new nurses and teachers it will probably be 10-20% lower than before.

The training allowance while on phase 1 in Templemore will probably stay the same. Although nearly worse than social welfare recipients it designed to cover living expenses only and not meant to be a substitute for income. Fair or not is open to debate.

The slight advantage New recruits might have is when they are attested and the allowances are paid in their monthly "big cheque", they might not get deducted 50% in tax like current members as they might not cross the 35K threshold.

Thanks for the reply man! Big help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Remember rent allowance is gone so thats a massive chunk of core pay gone

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

I believe you get the equivalent social welfare payment of €188 per week while in Templemore, and the starting salary is just over €23k rising to the €40's k mark after 18 years...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Murphster wrote: »
    I believe you get the equivalent social welfare payment of €188 per week while in Templemore, and the starting salary is just over €23k rising to the €40's k mark after 18 years...

WOW €800 a week after 18 years. Don't get trampled in the rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Remember rent allowance is gone so thats a massive chunk of core pay gone

Is this confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Actually for the 32 weeks in the college you will get €184 per week, so less than you would get on the dole :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Am I the only one who thinks €184 is fair enough. I can't think of many examples of students getting paid. Your bed and bord is covered in that too.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks €184 is fair enough. I can't think of many examples of students getting paid. Your bed and bord is covered in that too.

I have to say that €184 is fairly reasonable considering you have full bed and board...lots out there these days doing alot more each week with only €4 more ...

I have to say that €184 is fairly reasonable considering you have full bed and board...lots out there these days doing alot more each week with only €4 more ...

It just makes it financially difficult for someone who has a job and responsibilities (rent, loans etc) to leave their job and join the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Zadie10

Rothmans wrote: »

Yeah but most other students arent confined to the college grounds Monday to Friday with a curfew & most don't have a 9-5 routine. In other colleges you might finish at 11am one or two days a week & can work part time then. You also arent limited in your choice of weekend jobs e.g bar work.

Also the PSNI get paid full wages whilst training.

Irish army get full pay during training

cadets earn great money and still have bread and board paid for by the state

Irish army get full pay during training

cadets earn great money and still have bread and board paid for by the state

Cadets don't earn great money, minimum wage! They are confined to barracks for the first six weeks at least. Then the odd weekends you get home are always a privilege not a right. Plus you are guaranteed to be working at least 12 hours a day, if not more, most days of the week. Big difference to Templemore!

Ketron wrote: »
    It just makes it financially difficult for someone who has a job and responsibilities (rent, loans etc) to leave their job and join the gardai.

I dont think anything about joining AGS is meant to come easy. It is tough to leave a job that gives you a comfortable standard of living and security, but im sure the 25,000 + applicants are not carefree 18 year olds. This is a tough life changing decision and I know for me personally, I am not motivated by money but an absolute passion to do the job. Finances will be tough but thats a sacrifice thats necessary. If I returned to college to do a 4 year degree, I would be on the breadline for a long time with no guarantee of work at the end. Estimate the value of living costs for an adult for a week and then add €184 to it, works out at not a bad rate for a student.

I dont think anything about joining AGS is meant to come easy. It is tough to leave a job that gives you a comfortable standard of living and security, but im sure the 25,000 + applicants are not carefree 18 year olds. This is a tough life changing decision and I know for me personally, I am not motivated by money but an absolute passion to do the job. Finances will be tough but thats a sacrifice thats necessary. If I returned to college to do a 4 year degree, I would be on the breadline for a long time with no guarantee of work at the end. Estimate the value of living costs for an adult for a week and then add €184 to it, works out at not a bad rate for a student.

Personally at this stage of my life if I was returning to college to do a masters it would be through night classes etc, I couldn't afford leave work to do it. Its a sacrifice I'm willing to make, and by no means am I applying to join AGS for the remuneration. But that being said, it is very poor pay and does make it extremely difficult when you have existing financial commitments that have to be met each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

It's was outlined at the start what the pay was, so I'm sure most people who applied have taught about it and the few who done the test for the "crack" will drop out once they realise what a commitment it is to leave family all week and how much effort has to be put in. The people who really want to be In AGS will stick it out .

Yeah I mean it depends on your own individual personal circumstances. Night study might suit you, full time study as an under grad may be the way forward for others and embrace poverty. Not one person is ever going to say that they are being paid too much but 99.9% will say that they are not on enough. The training rate is acceptable in my opinion in terms of supporting yourself, but it is not going to pay a mortgage, feed your kids, put diesel in your hummer! etc. etc. and nor should it be expected to. Student life is renowned for being a financially poor experience but as a student Garda, the package is not bad. In terms of the starting salary, like it or not that is what it is. I would love to think that when successful candidates are signing their contracts that they are told that their actual salary will be something like €30k or more! Had the job been announced at 35k or €40k, have the country - whether suitable or not - would have been applying. Yes, it may have deterred potentially excellent future Gardaí, but at least we know that those who are successful really want the job and are committed. Hopefully as the economic climate improves, so will the pay scales and the opportunities for overtime etc

Yeah I mean it depends on your own individual personal circumstances. Night study might suit you, full time study as an under grad may be the way forward for others and embrace poverty. Not one person is ever going to say that they are being paid too much but 99.9% will say that they are not on enough. The training rate is acceptable in my opinion in terms of supporting yourself, but it is not going to pay a mortgage, feed your kids, put diesel in your hummer! etc. etc. and nor should it be expected to. Student life is renowned for being a financially poor experience but as a student Garda, the package is not bad. In terms of the starting salary, like it or not that is what it is. I would love to think that when successful candidates are signing their contracts that they are told that their actual salary will be something like €30k or more! Had the job been announced at 35k or €40k, have the country - whether suitable or not - would have been applying. Yes, it may have deterred potentially excellent future Gardaí, but at least we know that those who are successful really want the job and are committed. Hopefully as the economic climate improves, so will the pay scales and the opportunities for overtime etc

I'm also sure that when it comes to the interview questions will be asked about mortages and stuff to make sure the person can continue on living because I'm sure they don't need recuirts dropping out once in college due to money problem

Cadets don't earn great money, minimum wage! They are confined to barracks for the first six weeks at least. Then the odd weekends you get home are always a privilege not a right. Plus you are guaranteed to be working at least 12 hours a day, if not more, most days of the week. Big difference to Templemore!

Disagree

A cadet with a degree can earn up to 25k during training

thats 18months of 500quid a week plus bread and board

yes the 18 month training is robust but sure the rest of your 21year career is handy ;o)

Disagree

A cadet with a degree can earn up to 25k during training

thats 18months of 500quid a week plus bread and board

yes the 18 month training is robust but sure the rest of your 21year career is handy ;o)

Thats incorrect, all cadets start on 16.5k unless they have previously worked in the public service.

Training is also 15 months.

• Advertisement

I'm also sure that when it comes to the interview questions will be asked about mortages and stuff to make sure the person can continue on living because I'm sure they don't need recuirts dropping out once in college due to money problem

To ask such questions of a person at interview and then make a decision as to their suitability for recruitment would be contrary to all employment law.
    The interview board may as well ask a woman with children how she expects to be able to afford childcare or who will mind her children while she is training..
    Times have changed and any such questioning would be subject of a judicial review You are grasping at straws if you think this will give others an advantage at interview

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Andrea345

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    To ask such questions of a person at interview and then make a decision as to their suitability for recruitment would be contrary to all employment law.
    The interview board may as well ask a woman with children how she expects to be able to afford childcare or who will mind her children while she is training..
    Times have changed and any such questioning would be subject of a judicial review You are grasping at straws if you think this will give others an advantage at interview

I think if you are in debt that it does go against you depending on how much you are in debt. That question was asked in other campaigns. If you are in debt you are more open to being blackmailed or compromised, that's the thinking behind it, as well as obviously being able to afford to live, whether they got rid of it or not, I don't' know but I don't think so.

Edit: I think it has to be substantial though. In the uk it's bankruptcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

are gardai paid monthly or weekly

mrDerek wrote: »
    are gardai paid monthly or weekly

Very weakly

Thats incorrect, all cadets start on 16.5k unless they have previously worked in the public service.

Training is also 15 months.

i.    The following 5 point pay scale applies to Cadets who are new entrants to the Public Service with effect from 1 January 2011: €16,599, €17,109, €19,582, €22,133 and €25,443.

i.    The following 5 point pay scale applies to Cadets who are new entrants to the Public Service with effect from 1 January 2011: €16,599, €17,109, €19,582, €22,133 and €25,443.

are you talking about gardai or army?

mrDerek wrote: »
    are you talking about gardai or army?

Defence force cadets training wage

And??

Unless you are an existing member of the public service, everyone starts on grade one, €16.5k.

"This scale only applies where the candidate is being recruited to the same or an analogous grade/role as their previous Public Service employment, whether that employment was permanent or temporary."

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

And??

Unless you are an existing member of the public service, everyone starts on grade one, €16.5k.

im not sure of that

theres another band of salaries for existing public service employees

The following 5 point pay scale applies to Cadets who are not deemed to be
    new entrants to the Public Service with effect from 1 January 2011:
    €18,443, €19,010, €21,758, €24,592 and €28,270. This scale only applies
    where the candidate is being recruited to the same or an analogous
    grade/role as their previous Public Service employment, whether that
    employment was permanent or temporary

either way, its more than gardaí

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    im not sure of that

theres another band of salaries for existing public service employees

The following 5 point pay scale applies to Cadets who are not deemed to be
    new entrants to the Public Service with effect from 1 January 2011:
    €18,443, €19,010, €21,758, €24,592 and €28,270. This scale only applies
    where the candidate is being recruited to the same or an analogous
    grade/role as their previous Public Service employment, whether that
    employment was permanent or temporary

either way, its more than gardaí

Exactly, no point arguing about it ;) Bad copy an paste job by me :) But I do know for a fact its 16.5 regardless if you have a degree or not, some of the lads I know who were teachers that went in couldn't get on the public service scale :confused: You go up on the scale every year in the cadetshool, so you really dont want to get past point two on the scale ;)

All the same 16.5k is a lot better than 180 odd quid a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

I love this Murphster you make a great point :) but i see where others are coming from. For a small while living on the breadline wouldnt be so bad considering what you would get out of it in the end!

Best of luck to all :D

I love this Murphster you make a great point :) but i see where others are coming from. For a small while living on the breadline wouldnt be so bad considering what you would get out of it in the end!

Best of luck to all :D

But it rules out so many people which is a massive loss

It's important that every applicant knows the exact salary being paid now. This might stop them whinging to the GRA in a few years time when they realise the ****e pay.

It's important that every applicant knows the exact salary being paid now. This might stop them whinging to the GRA in a few years time when they realise the ****e pay.

can you post the exact amount for new gardai?

Sorry Mr Derek but I can't because the figures do not seem to be available. There is confusion as regards Rent Allowance which is a figure not to be sniffed at. It wont cover rent, certainly in Dublin, but it would be a help.
    There have been cuts in salaries and allowances which will make a big impact. As a person who will be working shift work , possibly in a town or village with no decent public transport system new Gardaí will have high transport costs. I can see many of these new young Gardaí deciding to resign and return to the well paid jobs they have left. You can't survive on your passion for the job and devotion to public service. The time will come when people will look around and start comparing their lifestyle with others of the same age. If a person is married and transferred away from their home will their partner be prepared to give up his/her career to go with them to live on low wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

If it's money people want then it is the wrong career by all accounts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

mycro89 wrote: »
    If it's money people want then it is the wrong career by all accounts....

It's all well and good to say that but people still need to be able to pay their mortgage and support a family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

True, all good going for the job for the want of it, but with any job, and that what it is, salary must be a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

My understanding is that those bases posted previously as the base wages and do not factor in the increments that come from working weekends/nights/holidays etc. there is also the opportunity of overtime on top of that. further to that i think that should you look to go to a specialised unit then you receive a further increment as well?

Aside from all that, after the recent economic downturn payscales are going to be initially tight however I'm pretty certain going back in time that the pay during the previously tough times of the early 80's etc was also not hectic but did come up in the improved climate in the form of allowances etc. I do believe that with improvements to the economy that improvements in pay will also happen for Gardai and other public sectors as before. The unions of the public sector are the only real union with any clout and generally do achieve their objectives for their members during the good economic times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

slingerz wrote: »
    My understanding is that those bases posted previously as the base wages and do not factor in the increments that come from working weekends/nights/holidays etc. there is also the opportunity of overtime on top of that. further to that i think that should you look to go to a specialised unit then you receive a further increment as well?

Aside from all that, after the recent economic downturn payscales are going to be initially tight however I'm pretty certain going back in time that the pay during the previously tough times of the early 80's etc was also not hectic but did come up in the improved climate in the form of allowances etc. I do believe that with improvements to the economy that improvements in pay will also happen for Gardai and other public sectors as before. The unions of the public sector are the only real union with any clout and generally do achieve their objectives for their members during the good economic times

Would you have any idea of the weekly wage before tax? With allowances included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

billie1b wrote: »
    Would you have any idea of the weekly wage before tax? With allowances included

not a clue im afraid. the way i look at it any gardai i know of are all surviving away fine. sure it may be a little tougher for new recruits but it cannot be unreasonable and i do believe improvements will happen in the near future again

slingerz wrote: »
    not a clue im afraid. the way i look at it any gardai i know of are all surviving away fine. sure it may be a little tougher for new recruits but it cannot be unreasonable and i do believe improvements will happen in the near future again

Yeah I was thinking the same myself, i'm not in it for the money, if I was approved and accepted id be taking a pay cut from my job now. Was just wondering if anyone knew

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

I mentioned the new pay to a few fulltimers I know. They said to take that figure with a grain of salt, hinted that you'll get increments/OT/rent (gone?) etc on top of that.

I dont know anyone who will be taking this job for financial benefits, short term anyway.

My one reservation about joining is that there is a 5 year gap between the newest recruits and the last recruits. For instance Im 23 and feel very young on the unit Im on at the moment as a reserve, where the average age is 28. Its a tiny reservation that I have, but a reservation nonetheless. Anyone in the same boat?

It wont stop me from accepting a place, should I be lucky enough to be offered one, but something that Ive been concious about for awhile now.

Warning.

When people do get the correct figures please base your expected income on the basic pay and allowances such as night duty and weekend allowances. Do not factor in overtime.
    That is a thing of the past. Most Gardaí do not earn any overtime now. If overtime arises due to a VIP visit, big match or public occasion well and good but don't bank on having it to pay the mortgage.

Warning.

When people do get the correct figures please base your expected income on the basic pay and allowances such as night duty and weekend allowances. Do not factor in overtime.
    That is a thing of the past. Most Gardaí do not earn any overtime now. If overtime arises due to a VIP visit, big match or public occasion well and good but don't bank on having it to pay the mortgage.

Agreed, I think most people in any profession are finding overtime scarce and even at that most places are offering days in lieu instead of money, my company do anyways and a few others I know. I was just looking for an average weekly wage including the certain allowances that are allowed. Overtime never entered my head as i'm used to it being a thing of the past now

After the first year we all take home €45,000 a year, that's a good yearly pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

I have 5 years service and i'd be delighted if I came home with that now let alone after the first year! Even now when you factor in tax, usc, and the numerous pension levies as well as contributions to the gra, medical aid and other schemes you'll find your pay packet down considerably. Not to dishearten you or anything, but your take home pay will be nowhere near that level. Best of luck with your application.

I have 5 years service and i'd be delighted if I came home with that now let alone after the first year! Even now when you factor in tax, usc, and the numerous pension levies as well as contributions to the gra, medical aid and other schemes you'll find your pay packet down considerably. Not to dishearten you or anything, but your take home pay will be nowhere near that level. Best of luck with your application.

But if thats gross, it would be a hell of a lot better than the 23k being bandied about.

I've a feeling someone is telling porkies though ;)

How did you come up with that figure?

How did you come up with that figure?

Dont feed the troll

• Advertisement
Advertisement