Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda Pay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Dont feed the troll

Yup, one of a number of completely unsubstantiated claims made by this account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Yup, one of a number of completely unsubstantiated claims made by this account.

The garda pay rates are in the public domain and well known to people on here

i think the 45k claim was either an attempt to stir the pot or it was a typo

It couldnt be anytin else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

The garda pay rates are in the public domain and well known to people on here

i think the 45k claim was either an attempt to stir the pot or it was a typo

It couldnt be anytin else

I agree. I meant the account that was making the 45k claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

After the first year we all take home €45,000 a year, that's a good yearly pay.

congratulations on your promotion to Sgt

I agree. I meant the account you were quoting.

Oh

my bad

*leggit*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Oh

my bad

*leggit*

I took it up the same way, made a not so nice reply, I copped it within 30 seconds and deleted it. Still got infracted for it, the mods must be on constant patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

My bad €22000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

After the first year we all take home €45,000 a year, that's a good yearly pay.

Are you sure that's not Polish Zloty you are being paid in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.gra.cc/payscales.shtml

Is this the payscale for the new recruits? I can't find a more up-to-date one?

• Advertisement

I say that could be a bit outdated, but it's a good example of how your wages could increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

Outdated I would say,

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/1392805_Garda_Trainee_2013.pdf

page 11 says starting out at 23,171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Yeah you will start out on €23k which is about €4/5k less than what the last batch of trainee's started on, plus rent allowance has been scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

redout wrote: »
    Yeah you will start out on €23k which is about €4/5k less than what the last batch of trainee's started on, plus rent allowance has been scrapped.

so what would that be after tax

I know it's the job and to be honest I always wanted to be a garda but the pay is not great, you get 23,000 for working a standard job.

I see that, thanks. Are the increments published anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Malarkey101

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

mrDerek wrote: »
    so what would that be after tax

Yeah I'd imagine that is after tax!, hopefully anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine that is after tax!, hopefully anyway :confused:

Doubt it, would say it is before tax. How could they give an after tax figure, everyone's tax rates would be different.

kev-bt wrote: »
    Doubt it, would say it is before tax. How could they give an after tax figure, everyone's tax rates would be different.

Christ, running the €23k through this is depressing:

http://www.deloitte.ie/tc/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

So 23k (before tax) a year for a probationer..

Assuming you're hit with a roughly 20% tax, add you're USC etc...it'll work out at about E355 ish a week. (i could be way off here lads)

Now you'll be paying rent and buying a lot more petrol than you are used to. You'll be living off very little week to week, and that's assuming you've no mortgage/children/high loans....

I know I wont be taking the job for financial gains but the new pay isnt pretty...

• Advertisement

I would say that is probably quite close to what we're talking. is there any ballpark way of working out what allowances etc are payable to your average Garda (starting in the next recruitment). It's quite difficult to accurately work out a very important piece of information for considering a career!

The figures given are definitely before tax.

BTW I'm on 23k in my current employment and take home pay is approximately €1,600 per month. That works out as about €370/week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

Rent & petrol would seriously dent that E370 a week...

Rent & petrol would seriously dent that E370 a week...

Its quite simple:

If single you will need to share accommodation or live at home.

If married/kids etc you will probably need to look into FIS, contact your CWO plead poverty and perhaps have your spouse work but then you will get hammered with childcare costs etc.

Unless you or your spouse are minted then everybody is gonna find it tough/have to make sacrifices etc.

As people keep mentioning, it aint a job you do for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

And........before you get to earn your 23k salary don't forget that you only get €180 for 32 weeks while training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Am i right in saying members of AGS get a guaranteed pay increase every year for the first 18 years or so of their career regardless of their performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Am i right in saying members of AGS get a guaranteed pay increase every year for the first 18 years or so of their career regardless of their performance?

No you're not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Zymurgist wrote: »

Pay increments are standard in the public sector, not specific to AGS at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

From the link posted earlier on the thread

On appointment to the Service, a Probationer Garda will be paid €23,171 rising by increments to a maximum of €45,793 per annum after 19 years (October, 2013 rates).

That gives the impression that they get an incremental pay rise every year until their 19th year. Is that not correct?

Am not bashing it at all, if anything after 19 years in a job I think its on the low side.

However the apparent lack of tying any increment to ones performance in the job is what I am shocked at. Surely a poor performer should not be given the same incremenet as a high performer.

The new pay rates are despicable and are so bad that some married Gardaí will be able to claim family income supplement. Unfortunately there are too many wannabee Gardaí, people who work for nothing in the pretence of volunteering and general lackeys who will allows themselves to be exploited that the Government know they can get away with it.
    Anyone who say's "I'm not joining for the money" is a fool and will be no asset to their colleagues who want to campaign for better pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

Don't they increase their income with brown envelopes?

The Commissioner will show them how to buy a nice house for 1/2 price off criminals.

If all else fails they can get some commission selling on surveillance equipment.

More sympathy with nurses than gardai

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Banned for 2 weeks for trolling.

No further comment on this post, or on the above trolling post please and thanks.

Back on topic.

-Shield.

Don't they increase their income with brown envelopes?

The Commissioner will show them how to buy a nice house for 1/2 price off criminals.

If all else fails they can get some commission selling on surveillance equipment.

More sympathy with nurses than gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Is the rent allowance of 4k done away with for certain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Is the rent allowance of 4k done away with for certain?

I can't find it anywhere on line saying its confirmed. Maybe i'm just not looking in the right places.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The new pay rates are despicable and are so bad that some married Gardaí will be able to claim family income supplement. Unfortunately there are too many wannabee Gardaí, people who work for nothing in the pretence of volunteering and general lackeys who will allows themselves to be exploited that the Government know they can get away with it.
    Anyone who say's "I'm not joining for the money" is a fool and will be no asset to their colleagues who want to campaign for better pay.

More scutter from you

Those wannabes and general lackeys are citizens of Ireland who have every right to support their police force.

More scutter from you

Those wannabes and general lackeys are citizens of Ireland who have every right to support their police force.

The ability of the G.R.A. to engage in any form of action to further a pay claim will be hindered by the availability of voluntary people that the Government can rely on to carry the job. What is happening now is pure exploitation by the Government who are using the recession to hammer long established pay scales and conditions. When the Provos were running riot they were happy to have the Gardaí there to defend democracy.
    People can disguise free labour any way they want but it is not in the interests of a properly paid police force

You are in cuckoo land if you envisage there being an improvement in pay anytime soon. The government is only interested in cutting public workers pay and conditions over the past 5/6 years. Recent reports in the media of possible changes to the tax bands though, which I suppose would amount to increases in take home pay but they were only mentioning the higher band i.e. €32,800 which new recruits wouldn't be anywhere near for quite a few years. The best bet would be if Joan Burtons plans for raising the level at which USC kicks in came to fruition but Fine Gael aren't championing it. Brian Hayes is actually quoted in todays Sunday Times as saying he doesn't want wages increasing. I am not being negative and of course you would like improved terms and conditions should you be successful in the application process, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

The ability of the G.R.A. to engage in any form of action to further a pay claim will be hindered by the availability of voluntary people that the Government can rely on to carry the job. What is happening now is pure exploitation by the Government who are using the recession to hammer long established pay scales and conditions. When the Provos were running riot they were happy to have the Gardaí there to defend democracy.
    People can disguise free labour any way they want but it is not in the interests of a properly paid police force

dont blame the ineffectiveness off the GRA on volunteers!

heads in the sand if thats the case

Reserves bulk numbers on friday and saturday nights - usually 1 or 2 per division at the most.

all though I agree that the pay conditions for new gardai is pretty paltry, blaming reserve gardai for this has no merit!

global downturn? property bubble? false construction based economy? unsustainable borrowing and lending?

Nah it was the GR's :rolleyes:

Scouser wrote: »
    dont blame the ineffectiveness off the GRA on volunteers!

heads in the sand if thats the case

Reserves bulk numbers on friday and saturday nights - usually 1 or 2 per division at the most.

all though I agree that the pay conditions for new gardai is pretty paltry, blaming reserve gardai for this has no merit!

global downturn? property bubble? false construction based economy? unsustainable borrowing and lending?

Nah it was the GR's :rolleyes:

1/2 per division at moment. If extra manpower is required then taking in reserves to do it for free means a Garda is not employed on overtime or a position for a full time Garda is being done without.

1/2 per division at moment. If extra manpower is required then taking in reserves to do it for free means a Garda is not employed on overtime or a position for a full time Garda is being done without.

iv never ever ever heard of a Reserve Garda being 'taken in' to do a duty

its been said a million times, reserves supplement - they do not replace

I have never ever seen that or heard of that

Ever

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    iv never ever ever heard of a Reserve Garda being 'taken in' to do a duty

its been said a million times, reserves supplement - they do not replace

I have never ever seen that or heard of that

Ever

If there is a need to supplement the regular Garda force it means there are inadequate number of Gardaí on duty and they should be supported by employing additional Garda police force members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

As always I agree with what Santa has to say..

Look all of this has been discussed to death on this site. It's obvious that if they got rid of the 1200 reserves then they'd need to recruit more often. Just wait until they actually receive their powers and recruitment will probably be even less frequent.

I think, like me most people on this site need to realise that they will never get the opportunity to join the garda and even if they do they'll be financially struggling for a good few years. Part of that is because of the reason santa gave in that the government know so many people are willing to work for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Long time lurker, firstish time poster!

We have two Reserve Gardai on our unit and they are most welcome at anytime to work with us

I have never been of the view that they have 'stolen' my/our OT because there simply is none to be gotten. Even if the skipper knew the lads were going to be on duty, a car would always be crewed with a member on OT (the rare time we were short). Even though the two lads were perfectly capable of the job,a Garda would always be brought in for the tour. I have never seen anyone lose out on OT although it was a big fear for along time

I am disgusted at the constant slashing of my wages but its to be blamed on so many other players, not our reserves.I have a great relationship with our GRs and all of the lads on the unit do too

best of wishes to all on here - stay safe out there

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

timwynne wrote: »
    Long time lurker, firstish time poster!

We have two Reserve Gardai on our unit and they are most welcome at anytime to work with us

I have never been of the view that they have 'stolen' my/our OT because there simply is none to be gotten. Even if the skipper knew the lads were going to be on duty, a car would always be crewed with a member on OT (the rare time we were short). Even though the two lads were perfectly capable of the job,a Garda would always be brought in for the tour. I have never seen anyone lose out on OT although it was a big fear for along time

I am disgusted at the constant slashing of my wages but its to be blamed on so many other players, not our reserves.I have a great relationship with our GRs and all of the lads on the unit do too

best of wishes to all on here - stay safe out there

Well said , this has been spelt out so many time to some who have no clue of what the GR is all about.

The opinion of one but not the opinion of 1200 plus GR's who are prepared to act more so than just talk. They are to be admired not slated by those would do nothing. Again and again it has been stated on this forum pay is the remit of the government and has nothing to do with reserves. Please please try to take this on board .

carzony wrote: »

Look all of this has been discussed to death on this site. It's obvious that if they got rid of the 1200 reserves then they'd need to recruit more often. Just wait until they actually receive their powers and recruitment will probably be even less frequent.

I think, like me most people on this site need to realise that they will never get the opportunity to join the garda and even if they do they'll be financially struggling for a good few years. Part of that is because of the reason santa gave in that the government know so many people are willing to work for nothing.

Totally wrong . Europe has dictated the 13000 total head count within AGS.

• Advertisement

Raider190 wrote: »
    The opinion of one but not the opinion of 1200 plus GR's who are prepared to act more so than just talk. They are to be admired not slated by those would do nothing. Again and again it has been stated on this forum pay is the remit of the government and has nothing to do with reserves. Please please try to take this on board .

I agree, it down to the government getting cheap garda because of hard time, they also will recuirt the best garda they have for many years.

If there is a need to supplement the regular Garda force it means there are inadequate number of Gardaí on duty and they should be supported by employing additional Garda police force members

Write to your local TD , Minister Shatter , Minister Howlin ......it has nothing to do with the Garda Reserve

GR are good people who give up there time to help the community no need to slate them. ( just for record I'm NOT a GR)

Totally wrong . Where do you get these ideas from. Do you offer your time for free in anyway, scouts , charity work , meals on wheels .is there anything you do for the noble cause . There must be ?????????????

carzony wrote: »

Of course some will fail but many have succeed in the past and will do so in the future. To my knowledge at least 16 have made it to stage 3. Sure there are a few more out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement