Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Garda Pay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Ketron wrote: »
    I have been thinking long and hard about this for the last few months and have decided not to continue with the selection procedure due to the poor pay for new gardai. I wish the remaining few all the best in the competition, and you have one less person to compete against :)

What band are u in?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

WilcoOut wrote: »
    What band are u in?

Interview scheduled for the 1st of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I have been thinking long and hard about this for the last few months and have decided not to continue with the selection procedure due to the poor pay for new gardai. I wish the remaining few all the best in the competition, and you have one less person to compete against :)

Fair Play ketron,, not an easy decision Im sure,not in comp myself.

Good luck in the future whatever it brings :)

Interview scheduled for the 1st of May.

Congrats on that achievement

im sure it was a hard decision to make but your a stronger person for it

best of luck

Congrats on that achievement

im sure it was a hard decision to make but your a stronger person for it

best of luck

Thanks lads, it sure wasn't an easy decision!! No point continuing with it unless I'm dead sure its what I want. I just feel the starting pay is a joke for a fully trained garda and if I joined it would be hinging on the prospect of a swift promotion which is too much of a risk to take at the stage of my life.

Again, I wish the remaining few the very best in the competition :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks lads, it sure wasn't an easy decision!! No point continuing with it unless I'm dead sure its what I want. I just feel the starting pay is a joke for a fully trained garda and if I joined it would be hinging on the prospect of a swift promotion which is too much of a risk to take at the stage of my life.

Again, I wish the remaining few the very best in the competition :)

I made as similar decision before the last round, it's unfortunate that you can't have it recorded as to why you are bowing-out of the competition.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I made as similar decision before the last round, it's unfortunate that you can't have it recorded as to why you are bowing-out of the competition.

I sent them an email explaining why I was bowing out and that I wouldnt be attending the interview :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

I sent them an email explaining why I was bowing out and that I wouldnt be attending the interview :)

I let them know on the phone but I didn't get the impression that my reasoning was being recorded or that anyone would be keeping records etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

I have being working for a few years now in my area of expertise (with a degree) believe me the money in the private sector is nothing to be getting excited about either. 23k is the basic salary but with overtime and allowances this will be much higher when you get your P60 at the end of the year! Granted I am aware a lot of the allowances have being cut and we will be on less than our colleagues but overtime I see this being re-negotiated. In 2007/8 young people were going to college doing a course of some description or else getting a trade as that's where the money was! However the people who joined the force then are now in more secure & better paid jobs than the others. Its swings and roundabouts with the economy. Anyways everyone to their own. Get all the advice and information you can get on possible careers and make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Does anyone have the correct pay scales from start ( Training College ) to finish ( year 17 )???

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I let them know on the phone but I didn't get the impression that my reasoning was being recorded or that anyone would be keeping records etc.

Just got back a reply saying we will mark you as not longer interested
    octigen wrote: »
    I have being working for a few years now in my area of expertise (with a degree) believe me the money in the private sector is nothing to be getting excited about either. 23k is the basic salary but with overtime and allowances this will be much higher when you get your P60 at the end of the year! Granted I am aware a lot of the allowances have being cut and we will be on less than our colleagues but overtime I see this being re-negotiated. In 2007/8 young people were going to college doing a course of some description or else getting a trade as that's where the money was! However the people who joined the force then are now in more secure & better paid jobs than the others. Its swings and roundabouts with the economy. Anyways everyone to their own. Get all the advice and information you can get on possible careers and make an informed decision.

I've been working in the private sector for a good few years and in my area the remuneration is far better for new entrants. The pay in the public sector is more or less inline, but they have shafted new entrants with severe cuts.

Anyway my decision was based on my current financial commitments, and what the next five plus years would bring if I joined up. I didn't want run the risk to end up 35 and be on less than 30k a year.

Each to their own, best of luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

It was those two forms wasn't it!

It was those two forms wasn't it!

They got the best of me :D I actually had the CV one filled out, but no point sending it.

Just being through the whole thread and not much wiser after it. Alot of hearsay and nothing concrete.. A few questions people may now be in a better position to answer...

So have the pay increments for degree holders being scrapped or not?

Has the pay review discussion scheduled prior to June happened yet?

Apart from what the starting salary is to what it is after 19 years service do candidates still in the competition have any other more specific detail on what the salary is?

As most have completed Stage 4 at this stage you would hope there would be some clarity on these issues.

Just being through the whole thread and not much wiser after it. Alot of hearsay and nothing concrete.. A few questions people may now be in a better position to answer...

So have the pay increments for degree holders being scrapped or not?

Has the pay review discussion scheduled prior to June happened yet?

Apart from what the starting salary is to what it is after 19 years service do candidates still in the competition have any other more specific detail on what the salary is?

As most have completed Stage 4 at this stage you would hope there would be some clarity on these issues.

Take 23k from 45k

you get 22k

divide by 19years equals

1.1.k increase per year on average

too simple?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

Take 23k from 45k

you get 22k

divide by 19years equals

1.1.k increase per year on average

too simple?

some years have bigger jumps than others but not the worst maths I have ever seen

new entrants are on 10% less than existing staff pay

existing pay scale:

attestation 25,745
    After 22 weeks 28,302
    After one year 29,834 etc etc

http://gra.cc/payscales.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 23 board_stupid

@timwynne

That's the pre-Haddington Road payscale. Upon attestation Gardaí are now in receipt of a salary of approx 23k. I believe, however, that those who have attained degrees prior to joining AGS are entilted to extra, I think it's something in the region of 2k. The attestation salary is outlined in the original Garda Trainee booklet from PAS, but nothing is mentioned about add-ons for those with degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭timwynne

@timwynne

That's the pre-Haddington Road payscale. Upon attestation Gardaí are now in receipt of a salary of approx 23k. I believe, however, that those who have attained degrees prior to joining AGS are entilted to extra, I think it's something in the region of 2k. The attestation salary is outlined in the original Garda Trainee booklet from PAS, but nothing is mentioned about add-ons for those with degrees.

yes i am aware

i was just giving a ball park figure

take 10% from the current scale and you should get near enough to what new entrants will be on

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

@timwynne

I thought the degree increment is gone? Along with rent allowance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

BRB wrote: »
    I thought the degree increment is gone? Along with rent allowance etc

Nobody knows for sure yet but yes both supposedly have

• Advertisement

I know that nobody can give an accurate figure but at an estimation, what do people think the allowances be worth per week? I know we can say for sure but just roughly would anyone have some idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

mickaleen wrote: »
    I know that nobody can give an accurate figure but at an estimation, what do people think the allowances be worth per week? I know we can say for sure but just roughly would anyone have some idea?

It'd be very hard to give even a rough figure of what the allowances are.

Starting off you have your uniform and boot allowance every week, roughly €7ish (gross, part of that is now taxed), iirc Rent allowance is gone. Those 3 were the stable weekly allowances, paid every week and always the same.

After that you're looking at the monthly allowances (the "big" cheque) -unsocialable hours, Sunday / Bank Holiday allowance and Sat allowance (which is stable €15.54 (gross) per each Sat, you could knock 50% off that straight out so working a Sat is an extra roughly €7.77ish).

It is impossible to calculate the unsocialable hours and Sun / Bank Holiday allowance without knowing your salary scale as these allowances are based on that ie someone on a higher salary gets more for a Sunday than someone who is just starting off.

Any of that make sense?

Edit: Just incase I'm corrected - I've left Overtime (monthly cheque) out of it and just focused on the normal allowances

Yes Beano that makes sense. Yeah I knew it was a question with so many different outcomes, I was thinking between everything it would surely be worth about 50 quid a week. Rent allowance was a handy one to have alright.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Yes Beano that makes sense. Yeah I knew it was a question with so many different outcomes, I was thinking between everything it would surely be worth about 50 quid a week. Rent allowance was a handy one to have alright.

You are in or around the right weekly figure there (after tax, I'm speaking in terms of net pay), saying that you take your extra amount in the big cheque and divide by 4 weeks of the month, it would nearly work out at that, some months might be more (3 Sunday months) and some months might be less (1 Sunday month). The new roster is a bit up in the air at the moment and the monthly cheques can vary a lot. You are effectivly pay a 50% tax rate aswell.

The loss of the Rent allowance of €79.63 (gross) a week is massive, basically taking the cuts of €40 a week off ya, €2080 a year!

Sorry, yes I meant 50 quid a week ie dividing the monthly cheque by 4. I should have stated that.

van_beano wrote: »
    You are in or around the right weekly figure there (after tax, I'm speaking in terms of net pay), saying that you take your extra amount in the big cheque and divide by 4 weeks of the month, it would nearly work out at that, some months might be more (3 Sunday months) and some months might be less (1 Sunday month). The new roster is a bit up in the air at the moment and the monthly cheques can vary a lot. You are effectivly pay a 50% tax rate aswell.

The loss of the Rent allowance of €79.63 (gross) a week is massive, basically taking the cuts of €40 a week off ya, €2080 a year!

The job is so much more attractive if the rent allowance was still in place. Such a massive cut. Earlier in the thread in states there is a full review of garda payments that needs to take place prior to June 1st. Anyone know if this is going ahead?

The job is so much more attractive if the rent allowance was still in place. Such a massive cut. Earlier in the thread in states there is a full review of garda payments that needs to take place prior to June 1st. Anyone know if this is going ahead?

I read that on here as well, haven't heard anything about it in real life though. Would that be a review of payments for new entrants. The date seems to tie in with just before the new batch start in Templemore plus it makes sense as, iirc, there dosn't seem to be a new entrants payscale available yet. Maybe all this will be trashed out on June 1st? I don't know. Just speculating here but maybe the rent allowance may not be removed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Saw this earlier for those interested! See the links in the page. First time I have seen the annualised payscales for new recruits rather than the starting and maximum as per previous information we got. No mention of any allowances being taken away for new recruits and has the post Haddington Road Agreement rates - but again these are all subject to a review i believe.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Saw this earlier for those interested! See the links in the page. First time I have seen the annualised payscales for new recruits rather than the starting and maximum as per previous information we got. No mention of any allowances being taken away for new recruits and has the post Haddington Road Agreement rates - but again these are all subject to a review i believe.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Pay

That's not too bad as long as rent allowance isn't dropped!

• Advertisement

That's not too bad as long as rent allowance isn't dropped!

Amen

thats a huge chunk a month

Amen

thats a huge chunk a month

I take it as a good sign that it hasn't being mentioned here. Overall that pay isnt vastly different to what other gardai if allowances stay the same. If allowances are different it makes a huge difference.

A current garda could be stationed within an hour of his station, live at home and still get 4,000 rent allowance. A new recruit could have to work in Dublin and pay huge rent costs without allowance. Wouldn't be very fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The list of allowances there - I don't see the allowance for holding a degree/third level qualification.
    This leads me to believe it's definitely gone
    Does anyone think otherwise ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

D Trent wrote: »
    The list of allowances there - I don't see the allowance for holding a degree/third level qualification.

Iirc, it was just that you started on a higher scale. Not an allowance as such

D Trent wrote: »

The educational based allowances was never mentioned in that grouping of allowances, those allowances would be based on the operational side of things

Rothmans wrote: »
    Iirc, it was just that you started on a higher scale. Not an allowance as such

Just to clarify, you don't start on the higher scale because of the diploma/degree increments. These increments only kick in after 2 years in the job and out of probation. Everyone starts at the same level.

• Advertisement

The educational based allowances was never mentioned in that grouping of allowances, those allowances would be based on the operational side of things

You dont get an allowance

you get increments ie skip pay scales

You dont get an allowance

you get increments ie skip pay scales

As per my follow on post....

As per my follow on post....

Must have been typing at the same time!

So basically, the rent allowance is still in place for new recruits, however, it is no longer pensionable? Is that correct? That's certainly my interpretation of the info provided by thedirtydevil.

So basically, the rent allowance is still in place for new recruits, however, it is no longer pensionable? Is that correct? That's certainly my interpretation of the info provided by thedirtydevil.

I would think and certainly hope you are right. You would imagine if there were different allowances for new recruits it would have being mentioned.

• Advertisement

I would think and certainly hope you are right. You would imagine if there were different allowances for new recruits it would have being mentioned.

If you look at line 66 on the spreadsheet, it states (in red i.e. not pensionable) that there will be a weekly 'living allowance' for recruits of €77.92 p/week ( approx rent allowance/52). I assume it is done weekly, as recruits will have on the job training in stations for 68 weeks. They'd hardly put in this allowance if it was gone, would they?
    Then, on attestation, it becomes 'rent allowance', and pensionable. Not too shabby.

If you look at line 66 on the spreadsheet, it states (in red i.e. not pensionable) that there will be a weekly 'living allowance' for recruits of €77.92 p/week ( approx rent allowance/52). I assume it is done weekly, as recruits will have on the job training in stations for 68 weeks. They'd hardly put in this allowance if it was gone, would they?
    Then, on attestation, it becomes 'rent allowance', and pensionable. Not too shabby.

Back in the good old days, the way the student "wage" was broken down in terms of "living allowance" was that when you lived in the college (or in another families home when there wasn't enough space in the college) a portion of your "wage" was subtracted and given to the college / landlord. When you were out in the station on phase 2 this portion was added to your "wage". That was the old training though, don't know anything about the new one plus I'm using the term wage whilst training very loosely.

It was mentioned previously in this thread (I think) of some sort of pay review in June? Anyone hear anything about that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

I think its all just speculation anyways with allowances but at least we know the payscale now. No doubt in June when the results of the review are announced we will know more (I wonder if the review is still on programme!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Radak

Serving member myself, was asked by a friend who is in the campaign whether rent allowance still applied. Spoke to the GRA and unfortunately it is gone but they are trying to get it restored. Also living allowance is paid to the college directly while you are in Templemore, this was always in place and has never being paid to the member.

Radak wrote: »
    Serving member myself, was asked by a friend who is in the campaign whether rent allowance still applied. Spoke to the GRA and unfortunately it is gone but they are trying to get it restored. Also living allowance is paid to the college directly while you are in Templemore, this was always in place and has never being paid to the member.

Disappointing. Do you know if the advanced pay scale is in place for people with degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Radak

Think it's gone too but can find out, any payment like that or Gaeltacht allowance is gone to anyone on receipt if it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Radak wrote: »
    Think it's gone too but can find out, any payment like that or Gaeltacht allowance is gone to anyone on receipt if it now

The allowance for people with a degree is long gone. The only allowance we were unsure of on this forum was the rent allowance and now we know that's gone aswell.

Meatballz wrote: »
    Bottom line how much should you expect net after finishing training ? Tis hard to work out!

It all depends on the amount of Sat, Sun, Bank Holidays, Overtime and Night Duty that you work so trying to figure out an exact amount without knowing those other variables first would be impossible. Since the rent allowance seems to be gone (minus 4k+) I am going to take a wild guess and say that, after training, a new recruit would be looking at between €28k and €33k a year net. That's including a typical yearly combined big cheque of 24 Sun, 36 Sat, about 840 hours night duty and 4 out of 9 Bank Holidays. I have nothing to back up those figures but I don't think I'd be too far off with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

It all depends on the amount of Sat, Sun, Bank Holidays, Overtime and Night Duty that you work so trying to figure out an exact amount without knowing those other variables first would be impossible. Since the rent allowance seems to be gone (minus 4k+) I am going to take a wild guess and say that, after training, a new recruit would be looking at between €28k and €33k a year net. That's including a typical yearly combined big cheque of 24 Sun, 36 Sat, about 840 hours night duty and 4 out of 9 Bank Holidays. I have nothing to back up those figures but I don't think I'd be too far off with them.

What do you mean by 'big cheque'? Is it a one of payment per year or included in your weekly salary?

• Advertisement
Advertisement